Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
slmiddlebrook
Registered Users
seller

How to help your child hate reading...

1. Point out all the words they got wrong.

2. Cut them off halfway through a word or sentence to correct them.

3. Have them sit a certain way to read.

4. Choose all of their reading material for them.

It's guaranteed to work!

Advertisement

slmiddlebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:
Re: How to help your child hate reading...

I do somewhat worry about this. My neice is in 2nd grade at PS and her parents have to force her to read. I don't think they really take the time to sit and read with her, though. My kids, at almost 4 and 1.5, will literally sit for 30 min looking at books. And if you start reading to the 4 yo, you might not get up for an hour! Reading is SO important, i'd hate my kids not to enjoy it like I do!

"She is clothed with strength and dignity...
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue...
Charm is deceptive, and beauty if fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

So I wasn't going to reply but I can't help myself...I disagree with some of what you wrote.

-I do point out the words he got wrong. DS has a nearly photographic memory and if I let him believe he read something correctly it will be hard to break that habit.

-I do cut him off mid sentence to correct him during our school lessons. He has plenty of free reading time on his own that I don't interfere with but lessons are just that...I feel I should teach him.

-He may sit however he chooses for free reading but during his lessons which are short (10ish minutes) he needs to sit at his desk. That's where we do school work and where he focuses best.

-I choose the reading material for his lessons but he may read whatever he'd like on his own time.

DS loves books and he loves to read. I still read several books a day out loud to him. He could sit and look at encyclopedia's for hours. We started reading to him as an infant and his love of books developed at a very early age. When he was 2 he could sit for the longer Dr. Seus books and had memorized several of them. We read just as many silly stories as we do educational stories.

I'm not trying to start a debate but each child is different. I can see how certain kids would be frustrated by the way I teach but that's what works for us. My kids don't know anything different.

Last edited by 7mom7; 03-01-2013 at 07:32 AM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
So I wasn't going to reply but I can't help myself...I disagree with some of what you wrote.

-I do point out the words he got wrong. DS has a nearly photographic memory and if I let him believe he read something correctly it will be hard to break that habit.

-I do cut him off mid sentence to correct him during our school lessons. He has plenty of free reading time on his own that I don't interfere with but lessons are just that...I feel I should teach him.

-He may sit however he chooses for free reading but during his lessons which are short (10ish minutes) he needs to sit at his desk. That's where we do school work and where he focuses best.

-I choose the reading material for his lessons but he may read whatever he'd like on his own time.

DS loves books and he loves to read. I still read several books a day out loud to him. He could sit and look at encyclopedia's for hours. We started reading to him as an infant and his love of books developed at a very early age. When he was 2 he could sit for the longer Dr. Seus books and had memorized several of them. We read just as many silly stories as we do educational stories.

I'm not trying to start a debate but each child is different. I can see how certain kids would be frustrated by the way I teach but that's what works for us. My kids don't know anything different.
I agree.

When my DD reads out loud to me, I always correct the words she reads wrong. If I don't, she keeps reading that same word the wrong way. Sometimes I just tell her the word and we continue on, other times I have her try to sound it out, and if it is a hard word I show her how to sound it out.

I do require that she sits up straight and holds the book herself, otherwise she ends up squirming all over the place and gets distracted. She fought me on this in the beginning, but now knows she needs to sit still and hold the book.

I don't choose all the reading material, but I do require her to read what I choose during reading lessons. If we come across reading material that is boring, we skip it and move on to something else. But she does have to read something things that aren't "fun" like her phonics primers and readers.

But I in no way think it has made my child hate reading! She is 5 years old and LOVES to read. She can choose to read any book that interests her whenever she wants, and she stays up at night reading books. She is now reading 3rd-5th grade chapter books. So making our reading time a bit more formal and not all fun has not caused her to hate reading, but has given her the skills needed to read well.

Granted all children are different and what works for one may not work for another, so while this method may cause frustration in some kids, it has helped make my daughter a good reader.