Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
dalynnrmc
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Homeschool check in Feb 14th-28th

Hello! New to DS but not to homeschooling. We've been homeschooling for 7 years now. My students are 13 (almost 14, 8th grade), 9 (4th grade), and 8 (2nd grade), and then I also have twin toddlers who aren't schooling yet of course.

We do a literature rich approach, pretty laid back but with classical-ish goals, with an eclectic mish-mash of curricula. Some of our favorites include R&S Grammar, MUS, and MOH with the literature from Illuminations by the same publishers.

Can't wait to meet and get to know you ladies! I didn't know there was a whole community here!

Advertisement

dalynnrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Monday is basically a wash for us...sigh. But feeling so VERY blessed that I HS!! 2 out of 3 of my boys are sick, so that just makes it difficult to HS any of them. We went to our chiro to get everyone adjusted to help w/healing. Then a quick trip to the library. Then home for lunch, a movie on deserts, and now a lil' down time for sick LOs. Bout to read some library books w/them and call this our school day
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270
Monday is basically a wash for us...sigh. But feeling so VERY blessed that I HS!! 2 out of 3 of my boys are sick, so that just makes it difficult to HS any of them. We went to our chiro to get everyone adjusted to help w/healing. Then a quick trip to the library. Then home for lunch, a movie on deserts, and now a lil' down time for sick LOs. Bout to read some library books w/them and call this our school day
Hope everyone feels better soon. Today was one of those days when I thought..why am I doing this??? Then we made an ant farm and she's intently watching them so I'm feeling back on track a little.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We are slowly getting back into things. Last week was just a sort of odd week all around with attitudes and strange sleep patterns. We have a few gaps in our learning at the present, though, as I need to order DS some more science and I'm waiting on YDD's next phonics curriculum. Oh, and that reminds me, I need to print off ODD's new literature stuff. We're using Progeny Press study guides and instead of getting the printed one, I opted for the download this time, so I need to get some of that printed off.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're taking a holiday today! Happy Presidents Day everyone. In honor of the occasion, we read a book on the Presidents and I'm calling it good. Back to the grind tomorrow.

I picked up the newest version of the Kingfisher historical Encyclopedia. WTM recommends it as a history spine to be used with original works of the time. Does anyone else do this and how does it work?
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We got today's work done, which was actually what we were going to do friday, so tomorrow we will probably do 2 days worth if DS is wanting to.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Jen, we should have had a play date last month when we had pox. My kids are all done now....my oldest had the vax when she was a year and a half, and now my younger two have had the pox.
Congrats on your pregnancy, how exciting! When are you due, October-ish?

Lyn, I totally feel you on the throwing in the towel...but then we don't really. LOL ((hugs)) I hope the rest of this week has been better and ends well!

Heather, Oh I didn't think you were judging or criticizing me with my daughter watching Rugrats. It's just one of those things where you watched it as a kid, so you thought it was fine, and then as a parent you think, hmm, maybe not! Except that I hadn't thought of it with Rugrats until you said something.

dalynnrmc, Hi and welcome!

lyn, I hope your kiddos get better soon! DS got a cold last week, passed it to DD2, who passed it to me. DS is better, but DD2 and I still have it. I took DD2 to Urgent Care on Saturday because she wasn't sleeping at night, running a fever at night, and possibly seemed to have an earache. The PA at Urgent Care said one ear was fine, the other seemed a little red, but I guess no actual infection. He prescribed antibiotics anyway. Her lungs were clear, just upper respiratory junk.

AFU-We didn't get much school done last week, with the yucky cold that DS got he didn't feel like doing anything, and then he shared with DD2 and then I got it. We watched Pocahontas (the first movie I ever saw in theater) and then Pocahontas 2. DD1 did some lessons, and DS did a little. Neither of them did as much as I was hoping, but that's life. We did some Valentine's crafts and activities too. Did anyone else do fun Valentine's stuff?

We have a pretty busy week ahead. I keep thinking I want to cut something out, because when my DS had chicken pox and we were home all week, we got so much school done! I can't figure out what to cut though. Actually, what I want to cut is DS's speech therapy! lol Or at least take it down to one day instead of two days a week. Oh well, one day he'll decrease or graduate....and then I'm sure we'll find something esle to occupy that time. haha! We had swimming lessons today, tomorrow is speech and we are finally taking our truck to be fixed from the hail damage from the storm almost a year ago! We have to take it 45 minutes away because the closer shop is still so backed up, this other shop is teaming up with them to take some of the load off. We'll have a rental for a week or so, until the truck is done. We can't all fit in DH's car, plus it's a stick and I don't know how to drive a stick. The kids have AWANA in the evening tomorrow, and DH and I are going to get fro-yo as a "date" (and DD2 will be our +1 lol).
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
dalynnrmc
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the welcome Michelle!

We are sick here, too. We moved my mother-in-law and sister-in-law this weekend, so that was a chore! They've been living together in a not great situation, and now are closer to us so we can help them both, and are in separate houses. All around it will be a better situation! But I think it kept me too busy to realize I was coming down with the flu or something! UGH!

Hopefully we can get into some schooly stuff this week and get the semblance of a schedule going... just in time for hubby's spring break, when we will (for the first time in over 8 years) be taking a family vacation! PTL!

I also have some homeschooly curricula type things to pick up with tax return. Hm, I should get on that I suppose. :lol:

Oh, and my name is DaLynn - pronounced (day-lin). I forgot I don't have a signature to tell you that yet.
dalynnrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We went back to our curriculum today. It doesn't really seem like Keegan struggles anymore with it than the other stuff we were doing, so we might as well. It went pretty well, we read about Joseph in the Bible readers, and did the workbook, and Bible notebook, and some math, AND we've already been to the store and had lunch. So I'm feeling pretty productive, but the truth is I've just been up way too long! The kids asked to sleep in the floor last night so we did, but Rachel woke us all up dreadfully early. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll all nap. I think we're going to watch a signing time later, and they will probably help me cook supper, but other than that I think we're done for today.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We aren't doing any school today. DS decided to get out of bed while I was still asleep and eat an entire bag of dark chocolate chips that he found in the kitchen...so he is sick now.