Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschool check in Feb 14th-28th

Hi, all! Happy Tuesday! Today we are back on track. DS3 is a lil' sick, but basically done w/The Cooties he had a fever all night and was basically miserable, but this morning he's been just dandy and fever free. A little cough and stuffiness is all that is remaining.

DS1 did a GREAT job at school today. I have to say, I'm a little in shock LOL. He's 8, so school is just not his thing. Playing outside....running....jumping in the creek...that's his thing LOL. But we did it together (sorta) and he seemed to enjoy that. Plus, it showed him how doing things efficiently and w/a good attitude speed things along.

DS2 wrote his name AND the alphabet today!woot!! So very proud of him!! <3!! He was very much NOT interested in school in August (he turned 5 Aug 2). But, we have been pluggin' along, doing handwriting, ABCs, phonics, numbers, and reading aloud. And of course our Classical Conversations stuff. And now he's finally starting to embrace it! yeah!!

all we have to do now is our CC work for the week which will take about 30 minutes and which everyone usually enjoys!!

yeah to good days! May they help ALL of us through those realllllly bad days!!

Advertisement

lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Homeschooling today has consisted of me trying to organize some and declutter before DD1s birthday next week and more toys arrive while she played outside with the chickens. We made muffins and talked about measurements. While little sister naps I started planning for the next two weeks. She wanted to play with my old saxophone so I let her blow on it for a while. My printer should arrive today (in the next few hours) so hopefully ill have worksheets and more things to do.

We have swim tonight.

Not a very intense day. I've learned I need to be prepared the night before or very little gets done
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #23
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there everyone!

Glad to see this thread taking off. After I started it I thought maybe I shouldn't have because families were no longer interested in continuing to post.

Things are fine over here. Today I called up the art museum and registered the girls for art classes. We have been members of the art museum for yrs and I have always looked @ their art classes and never signed the girls up. Well, I called today and spoke w/ the person who runs them and my girls are going. We were able to get a scholarship so we are only going to be paying half the cost!! Hooray!! This is a mini series so there will only be 5 classes but this is a great way to start. If we love them the girls can re-enroll in a longer fall program.

Heather, I am SO happy for you w/ the way everything worked out on the rental home. Amazing how everything came through. Many congrats.

Foggieboard sorry to hear about your DS eating all the cookies. Hopefully this is the last time he does this. I hope he feels better soon.

I am supposed to go to the library to pick up an audio book that my 11 yr old DD has been wanting.

We are going to the science museum tomorrow for their free night. There is a nice library right near the museum but I am not sure if I want to take the girls because we have SO many library materials out @ the moment.

Thursday there is an owl prowl at nature center. We became members of the nature center a couple months ago and the girls enjoy their programs.

mevans, hopefully things will get better w/ speech so you don't have to go as often. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to cut something out because you feel like you are doing too much and then being on the look-out for some other interesting opportunity. You sign up for it and a little while later you think we are doing too much I should cut something out.

lyn, so glad to hear you had a great day. Totally hear you on playing outside being their thing. My girls vary in ages from 4.5 to 12 yrs old and this is also their thing. I am glad you live in GA so he can do the outdoor stuff often. Good progress for your DS who wrote his name and alphabet. Nice to hear he is embracing the things you are doing. Congrats!!

Looking forward to reading more in the coming days. Wishing everyone fun, educational filled days.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ugh...we had to get out of the house today. Why are kids so resistant at times? Took dd twice as long to do language arts than it should have. I finally just told her I was not talking to her or being in the room until she was done. She likes to drag it out to get my attention.

So we went and ate lunch at a little cafe down the road and to the woods we went. We have 10 acres in the woods that I hope we get to move to soon. We did our math outside. And she drew, hiked, watched a squirrel and tried to get attached by a millipede lol

So I guess our day turned out ok after all. I still have to pack a package to ship, pack some stuff to mail to my friend, get to the post office by 4, get some groceries, etc. no wonder I'm always exhausted, Huge kudos to all you moms, especially the ones with big families! I only have two kids and can't keep up!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #25
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama View Post
Ugh...we had to get out of the house today. Why are kids so resistant at times? Took dd twice as long to do language arts than it should have. I finally just told her I was not talking to her or being in the room until she was done. She likes to drag it out to get my attention.

So we went and ate lunch at a little cafe down the road and to the woods we went. We have 10 acres in the woods that I hope we get to move to soon. We did our math outside. And she drew, hiked, watched a squirrel and tried to get attached by a millipede lol

So I guess our day turned out ok after all. I still have to pack a package to ship, pack some stuff to mail to my friend, get to the post office by 4, get some groceries, etc. no wonder I'm always exhausted, Huge kudos to all you moms, especially the ones with big families! I only have two kids and can't keep up!
i feel ya on the kid draggin her feet. my 8y.o. always drags it out grrrr. and i have to do the go to your room and don't come out or do anything until you do your school work thing grrr. so very exhausting!!! but hey, at least she finally did something
Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270

i feel ya on the kid draggin her feet. my 8y.o. always drags it out grrrr. and i have to do the go to your room and don't come out or do anything until you do your school work thing grrr. so very exhausting!!! but hey, at least she finally did something
This is the stance I've finally taken too. I've tried the hold her hand, walk her through it, give her a break, yadda yadda yadda...she's clearly manipulating me. She's very smart and observant and she knows just how to push my buttons. She is almost 7 and copies an entire page word for word off of a website about dogs on her own the other day. Only 1 mistake. And she CAN'T copy three sentences without whining 'it's too hard!" "I can't do it!" Give me a break...

I just reminding myself WHY I want to homeschool lol
Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
We aren't doing any school today. DS decided to get out of bed while I was still asleep and eat an entire bag of dark chocolate chips that he found in the kitchen...so he is sick now.
Eek. That's unfortunate, but on the plus side, maybe the natural consequences will teach him to never do that again.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #28
Texasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

how do you all manage to do house work and homeschooling I am getting behind on my house work and not sure what I can do to solve that issue
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmom
how do you all manage to do house work and homeschooling I am getting behind on my house work and not sure what I can do to solve that issue
I'm always three steps behind. I'd like to know too!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #30
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama View Post
This is the stance I've finally taken too. I've tried the hold her hand, walk her through it, give her a break, yadda yadda yadda...she's clearly manipulating me. She's very smart and observant and she knows just how to push my buttons. She is almost 7 and copies an entire page word for word off of a website about dogs on her own the other day. Only 1 mistake. And she CAN'T copy three sentences without whining 'it's too hard!" "I can't do it!" Give me a break...

I just reminding myself WHY I want to homeschool lol
sitting here nodding my head....thinking you have my child in your home LOL....that's my boy. I have to periodically run through the list in my head of why I homeschool LOL