Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #71
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Homeschool check in Feb 14th-28th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britches~in~Stitches View Post
7mom7- it's tough right after they've been sick. I don't know if it gets. Better as they get older,but I keep telling myself it does. . How old is your son? Dd knows there are certain days that friends can come over, and tht she needs approval from me before inviting them over or they'll be told no.
He's 5. Part of the problem is that we live in a very kid friendly neighborhood. There are kids out roaming/playing with friends ALL the time...I suspect he thinks he's the only kid not allowed to roam the neighborhood without an adult. He either wants to be outside or playing with friends all day, he's not been great about independent play lately. He's happy to play educational games on he computer but I feel like he's too young to play longer than 30 min/day, he needs to use his imagination. Since we don't have long school days (at all!) I'm okay with him having friends over once or twice a week...provided we don't have activities that day.

I'm curious if any other HSers have kids like this that want to socialize ALL the time. DS2 could care less about playing with friends. Give him a bucket of animals/blocks and he'll be alone for hours playing quietly.

Advertisement

7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #72
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JandS View Post
We are slowly getting back into school. We had off for a few weeks because I had open heart surgery at the end of January. I had my very first homeschool review today and I passed! I'm looking forward to getting back to our regular routine.
Praying for a quick recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Yes, it does get better. It's hard after a week like that. My older two don't fight me much on schoolwork anymore because at this point they know they have to do it. A suggestion for the next time y'all are sick, though, would be to listen to audiobooks. They would still get the rest time, but it shouldn't be so difficult to get back into the swing of things.
I really like this idea. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Hank the Cowdog is by John R Erickson (not positive I spelled his last name correctly) The audiobooks of this are good, too.

Geronimo Stilton is not actually written by Geronimo Stilton (he's a mouse, so rather difficult for him to publish books), but they are listed as written by him. There are a few other series based around this one, like Thea Stilton.
I'm soooo easily amused!

AFU: Getting schoolwork done this week is like pulling teeth! No one wants to do anything. So far today... DD2's lower arch came loose (wire inside her bottom teeth-braces), and the first available appt. is 3 pm. She can't eat and is a bear. DD1 is having pre-teen angst and DS hates eggs (having a frittata for lunch). So a bunch of grumpy whinies here! I'm just trying to get through this week and get most everything done and I'll start new next week.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #73
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have almost everything we need for the schoolroom. My goal is to have it totally set up by next friday. I have to get the storage stuff all moved in the basement to make the room for it.

We did school today and my little wild child was bouncing all over while reading his words. Just one of the many reasons I love homeschooling him, he can't sit still for long, but I can work with him and around what he does.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #74
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post

AFU: Getting schoolwork done this week is like pulling teeth! No one wants to do anything. So far today... DD2's lower arch came loose (wire inside her bottom teeth-braces), and the first available appt. is 3 pm. She can't eat and is a bear. DD1 is having pre-teen angst and DS hates eggs (having a frittata for lunch). So a bunch of grumpy whinies here! I'm just trying to get through this week and get most everything done and I'll start new next week.
Glad I'm not alone!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #75
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post

I really like this idea. Thanks.

I'm soooo easily amused!

We went to Wal-Mart and Natalie did a fair amount of screaming at me that I don't like her and never do anything for her. I'm sure everyone at the store wanted to listen to that. For a good half hour everything I said to her was the wrong thing, but if I didn't say anything to her, that was also the wrong thing. So, I did the only thing I could -- bought chocolate to enjoy when she's in her room and not bothering me.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #76
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this week has been pretty decent. the kids have been good about doing school work. we switched a couple of things around. nothing big, just enough keep it interesting. had CC today, and I am just over overly competitive, arrogant, judgmental HSing mamas......grrrrr. It must be the full moon, cause normally I ignore these mamas, but today I just wanted to smack 'em....of course i didn't LOL....but i wanted to....lol
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #77
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
this week has been pretty decent. the kids have been good about doing school work. we switched a couple of things around. nothing big, just enough keep it interesting. had CC today, and I am just over overly competitive, arrogant, judgmental HSing mamas......grrrrr. It must be the full moon, cause normally I ignore these mamas, but today I just wanted to smack 'em....of course i didn't LOL....but i wanted to....lol
A fellow CC'er! Too bad that they aren't more supportive. Our CC group is just the opposite but we're still small...hopefully things won't change as we grow.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #78
3boys_mom
Registered Users

For those who have been following...an update on DS3's speech therapy...

About a week and a half ago we finally received the evaluation report. Today we had his IEP meeting and I also got to observe the class they recommend he participate in. This class meets M-Th from 9-11:45. It is pretty intense. He will be doing group work, along with individualized therapy. He may start at soon as Monday morning. I had trouble getting in touch with our pediatrician to get a copy of his immunizations. But I finally got that and was able to email it to our liaison. I guess I will find out tomorrow if he is to start on Monday. I also learned today that they are having him work with an OT for about a 1/2 hr each week...to improve his scissor skills and his grasp (he still holds a writing instrument incorrectly and switches between hands). The head ST was visibly upset upon learning that he is not fully potty trained. And it seems he will be the oldest in this class and all the other students are potty trained. Oh well...maybe peer pressure will work on him with that.

Otherwise our week has been going pretty well. We are back to the basics (history and science have been on the back burner again) which I really dislike but I want the basics done before we move on to the 'extras'.

On a happy note, I found a local/nearby homeschooling family. Together we are trying to put together a co-op situation for her boys and mine. Since we stopped going to our previous co-op (I am pretty sure I've posted about that situation) it seems the people we met there have forgotten about us. Maybe we were never a good match in the first place.

I'm sorry to hear of all the sickness and the struggles getting back in a rhythm afterwards. I know I've been there! And as for judgmental homeschoolers, yeah been there too...I just try to ignore it as much as possible.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #79
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
A fellow CC'er! Too bad that they aren't more supportive. Our CC group is just the opposite but we're still small...hopefully things won't change as we grow.
I actually LOVE CC.....LOVE it! and my boys love it. I'm a tutor in our CC Community, and I love that as well. It's just odd, this CC group. It seems to be very clique-y. The director is lovely, and many of the other families are as well. We have made no real connections there. I have looked into a CC group that is 15 minutes closer to our house. I know some families that are going there. I am going to speak to the director this week to see what my take on the community is. It would be nice to be closer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys_mom View Post
For those who have been following...an update on DS3's speech therapy...

About a week and a half ago we finally received the evaluation report. Today we had his IEP meeting and I also got to observe the class they recommend he participate in. This class meets M-Th from 9-11:45. It is pretty intense. He will be doing group work, along with individualized therapy. He may start at soon as Monday morning. I had trouble getting in touch with our pediatrician to get a copy of his immunizations. But I finally got that and was able to email it to our liaison. I guess I will find out tomorrow if he is to start on Monday. I also learned today that they are having him work with an OT for about a 1/2 hr each week...to improve his scissor skills and his grasp (he still holds a writing instrument incorrectly and switches between hands). The head ST was visibly upset upon learning that he is not fully potty trained. And it seems he will be the oldest in this class and all the other students are potty trained. Oh well...maybe peer pressure will work on him with that.

Otherwise our week has been going pretty well. We are back to the basics (history and science have been on the back burner again) which I really dislike but I want the basics done before we move on to the 'extras'.

On a happy note, I found a local/nearby homeschooling family. Together we are trying to put together a co-op situation for her boys and mine. Since we stopped going to our previous co-op (I am pretty sure I've posted about that situation) it seems the people we met there have forgotten about us. Maybe we were never a good match in the first place.

I'm sorry to hear of all the sickness and the struggles getting back in a rhythm afterwards. I know I've been there! And as for judgmental homeschoolers, yeah been there too...I just try to ignore it as much as possible.
good thing about the speech therapy, and the PLing will come when he's ready. my now 5.5y.o. wasn't PLd until he was 4.5y.o. I got tons of criticism from everyone around me and lots of super harsh judgment about my son. but when he did PL, he was PLd in 24 hrs. so don't worry about it. The ST can get over it

as for the judgey folks.....i'm over them for now. I was having a DAY yesterday I'm fine now, and I will be ignoring those poopy-faces

praying for all the sick LOs out there! and all the sick mamas!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote