Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #111
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Things people say where you live.....

Hahahaha, I reference 'BFE' almost every day of my life it feels like ! One of my favorite sayings :P

Advertisement

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #112
catilina
Registered Users
seller

I'm from Michigan originally, lived in northern Indiana (basically the same culturally as Detroit-area), then moved to small-town western Nebraska, lived for many years in Utah, and am now in Oregon.

I can't really think of anything strange that anyone says in my part of the midwest (other than "pop" (or, "paaahp"), as has already been mentioned). There it's more about the pronunciation/accent. The drawn out vowel sounds and such. Although my husband does say I say "for sure," a lot and is convinced it's a midwestern thing? I don't know.

When I moved to Nebraska I couldn't believe the things people said there, but now I can't think of anything ("crick" instead of "creek" is all that comes to mind right now).

People in Utah say so many weird things. In Utah the vowel sounds are all messed up. Instead of "jail," they say, "gel." They say "still" instead of "steal," and "sell" instead of "sale." Instead of "hill," it's "heel." It's weird. And as someone else mentioned, the glottal stop is super exaggerated in Utah. Everyone does it a little bit (most people say "moun(t)-ens" for 'mountains" instead of totally enunciating the T and saying "mounTains," but in Utah it's like that soft 't' gets stuck in their throats and it sounds like "mou-ins." Weird.). And people say "sluffing" instead of cutting or skipping class. And it's "butting in line" instead of "cutting in line." I also noticed that everyone uses the word "way" a lot, where I would probably use "so" or "really" (examples: "She is a way nice teacher!" "You are way cute!"). And everyone uses words like "babe" and "stud" that seem completely outdated to me (I lived in Utah 1996-2011)... I know there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

Here in Oregon the only thing I've noticed so far is that everyone says they're going to "the coast" instead of to "the beach," but having grown up visiting my grandparents in southern California, I totally understand why they say that and now I say it too! It is really not "the beach" here, it is "the coast!" Oh, and the Portland area is called PDX, which is weird to me since that's just the airport code, but people say that talking about all of greater Portland, not just the airport. It would be like calling LA "LAX" or Denver "DIA." Weird, right?

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #113
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma
No idea what BFE is
Bum f$@k Egypt ie middle of nowhere lol

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #114
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsallnaughty View Post
Bum f$@k Egypt ie middle of nowhere lol
ok

I am from Jersey and we just use bad words and when we add other words to it it is usually just worse than the original word.

Oh and here they really do not use bad language at all so I am always watching what I say.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #115
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina
I'm from Michigan originally, lived in northern Indiana (basically the same culturally as Detroit-area), then moved to small-town western Nebraska, lived for many years in Utah, and am now in Oregon.

I can't really think of anything strange that anyone says in my part of the midwest (other than "pop" (or, "paaahp"), as has already been mentioned). There it's more about the pronunciation/accent. The drawn out vowel sounds and such. Although my husband does say I say "for sure," a lot and is convinced it's a midwestern thing? I don't know.

When I moved to Nebraska I couldn't believe the things people said there, but now I can't think of anything ("crick" instead of "creek" is all that comes to mind right now).

People in Utah say so many weird things. In Utah the vowel sounds are all messed up. Instead of "jail," they say, "gel." They say "still" instead of "steal," and "sell" instead of "sale." Instead of "hill," it's "heel." It's weird. And as someone else mentioned, the glottal stop is super exaggerated in Utah. Everyone does it a little bit (most people say "moun(t)-ens" for 'mountains" instead of totally enunciating the T and saying "mounTains," but in Utah it's like that soft 't' gets stuck in their throats and it sounds like "mou-ins." Weird.). And people say "sluffing" instead of cutting or skipping class. And it's "butting in line" instead of "cutting in line." I also noticed that everyone uses the word "way" a lot, where I would probably use "so" or "really" (examples: "She is a way nice teacher!" "You are way cute!"). And everyone uses words like "babe" and "stud" that seem completely outdated to me (I lived in Utah 1996-2011)... I know there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

Here in Oregon the only thing I've noticed so far is that everyone says they're going to "the coast" instead of to "the beach," but having grown up visiting my grandparents in southern California, I totally understand why they say that and now I say it too! It is really not "the beach" here, it is "the coast!" Oh, and the Portland area is called PDX, which is weird to me since that's just the airport code, but people say that talking about all of greater Portland, not just the airport. It would be like calling LA "LAX" or Denver "DIA." Weird, right?
Oh my we say crick and pop all the time lol it's funny how you don't notice until someone points it out!!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #116
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Forgot to say, we always said (in Michigan and Indiana), "make a u-ey" or "flip a u-ey" too.

And we always called it "the boonies," as in "we're parked way out in the boonies!" but when we moved to Nebraska I first heard the term BFE used in that context. I don't know if it was a geographical thing or just that I was naive about it before then...

DH is from Florida (with all his family from South Carolina) and he says so, so many things that are totally bizarre to me. I'm a total yankee and he's a southerner and half the time I have no idea what he's talking about (he speaks in cliches that I just don't get!). For me, my dad (my custodial parent growing up) is South American and is not a native English speaker so I have no idea if the way I speak/the things I say are because of where I have lived or because I was raised by a non-native English speaker...

Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #117
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's called a crick in your neck right? I say that, I think it's right.

Then I also say crick instead of creek except when it's a name. Ex: I say Battle Creek (city) and, "got shwasted and fell in the crick."
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #118
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsallnaughty View Post
Oh my we say crick and pop all the time lol it's funny how you don't notice until someone points it out!!
I grew up saying pop, too (not crick, though, that one just makes me ), or soda pop (that's what my Brazilian dad always calls it), so it's not weird to me. Soda was weird to me and I called it pop until I started to feel weird about the way I spoke so differently from everyone else! Now I generally call it soda or soda pop. In my husband's extended family, everything is "coke." "You wanna coke?" "Sure, get me a Sprite." Crazy!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #119
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We say u-ball ....idk funny tho considering a ball is round and a u-ball isn't a full circle lol

Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #120
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
All this talk of u-eys reminds me how dh had no idea what a roundabout was or how to use one when he first moved to Michigan.