Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #131
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Things people say where you live.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsallnaughty View Post
Bum f$@k Egypt ie middle of nowhere lol
Never heard this, either.

Advertisement

Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #132
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post

I'm from a different part of CA and the items in bold are also common here, but putting "the" in front of a freeway is not done in the Bay Area. We always gave my aunt (who lived in southern CA) a hard time when she referred to 280 as "the 280"

But I can't really think of anything else that is specific to my area. We say things as they are written (yep, we say ALL the letters and don't add random letters to other words) and use correct grammar. We're kind of boring in that respect I guess.
I'm from sacramento area, now Los Angeles. With plenty of family in the bay area, So I guess I've heard and said it all from all of those areas. I've heard most all of these sayings a time or two before.

This thread has kept me entertained for a good portion of the evening. I love the 15 different variations of dude, I've used them all I think at one point or another.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #133
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
When I'm talking to my best friend about the boys acting up (well really just one of them), I regularly say something , "ohhh if he does that again I'm gonna beat his butt!" They're 20m and 5m, and neither ever have nor will be spanked. It's really just a common saying whether you spank or not. My best friend days she's gonna have to shank (me, fiance, kids, etc). She doesn't actually shank anyone LOL. I think it just becomes habit. No one around here takes it seriously, but I bet others would.

Everything Jeff Foxworthy has ever used for redneck slang. None of it is fake, it's all said. I personally have salad bowls that say cool whip on the side, and my neighbor mowed his lawn and found a car. So sad but so true.

"Knee high to a grasshopper" is one some never heard. People not from here doesn't understand that context matters and "Bless his/her/your/their heart" can be sweet or mean. So that one always makes people confused LOL.

ETA: Oh and from my Boston time I say wicked. And from my Cali time I say hella.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Yep! Knee high to a grasshopper... I think I've heard that one since I came out of the womb. My Connecticut transplant, Italian-American Boss just now figured out how to tell if I am am being sweet or mean when I say "Well, Bless your heart", and I've worked for him for 3 years now. There is the slightest change in inflection when you are saying it seriously, rather than facetiously. Now that he has figured it out, he gives my mean/facetious "Bless your hearts" away, by not being able to control his laughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
I'm from the PNW and I really can't think of any obviously phrases we say often, except maybe "its raining".

As a kid, we spent a lot of time with my grandparents in deep East Texas. Everything is a Coke, even if its not. Getting ready to do something is "fixin to". If something is going to take a small amount of time, its "right quick". A group of people is "y'all"; a large group is "all y'all". For example, if you're asking a group of people if they're getting soda soon, its "y'all fixin ta git a Coke right quick?"
Sitting here in Texas, and just told DH that I needed to check this post "Right Quick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
well No Va is boring :/. Dh used to make fun of things people say around here and now he can't rem any of them, and I don't know what he's talking about, lol.
He's from San Antonio, and everyone he knew always would say "wut it dew?" like, hey what's up and "mahn, hold up!" like, no way? I guess. And getting up at dark o thirty. There's more but I am blanking.

My suitemate in college in So VA used to say stuff like, "that eats my dinner right out of the pan!" = pisses me off. Or, that's so good, makes me wanna smack your momma.
Your DH is totally San Antonio... "Wut it dew" is special to SA, you don't hear it much outside of the city. You sometimes here it in Midland/Odessa, and I've yet to figure out how it got from SA to there

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesdfish View Post
Haha, these are funny!
I was in east texas last year and wanted to find out if the local pizza place was eat in or delivery only. After getting nowhere with the girl who answered the phone, my brother took the phone from me and in his best fake Texan accent said "Y'all have chairs?" She answered "no, we just drive the pizzas to yer place"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I'm from backwoods Michigan but spent my childhood summers with family in North Carolina. Truthfully I'm pretty sure I'm more country than the city slickers I live with in Texas now.

A couple things:
DH's grandparents had no idea what venison was.
DH had no clue what I was talking about when I asked him why he parked on the back forty.
DH was unaware that there is a difference between snow and powder. Not all snow is created equal.
I treated DH's last cold with a hot toddy and he was convinced I was trying to murder him.

What else... "Up north" is a specific place, not a direction.

All Michiganders fall into two categories: yoopers (from the you-pee) and trolls (under the bridge).

Most importantly though, pop is for drinking and soda is for baking (ie baking soda).
Being a Native Texan married to a Michiganer...I totally relate to all of this , But where in the heck is your DH's family from? I've never met anyone that doesn't know what venison is!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Everywhere we lived in Houston is no longer there. I was born in Harris County and lived on Hardy Street until about 1980. Our place was torn down not long before they put in the toll road. Then we moved to Pecos for a while. Then Tomball. And then Spring. Of course the townhouses we use to live in are no longer there either- we were right next to the Good year blimp. Then off to Kirby. We never really stayed in one place very long. My dad was in rodeo when he was younger and he never really liked staying put for long.

I miss the Galleria and the spaghetti warehouse. You know I have never been downtown underground. We went downtown a lot and I have never been there.
Oh Wow Jbug, I drive by where you lived almost daily - you were a true blue, Northsider! I work downtown and take the Hardy Toll Road from Spring every day. The Galleria is still there, it's just not the hot destination it used to be. Since you left, Midtown and Downtown have gone through a revival of sorts and the Uptown/Galleria area is getting a bit shady now. I've worked downtown in several different buildings for the past decade or so, so I know the tunnel system well. If you are a newbie, it's easy to get lost in them.... IMHO, it's like some drunk laid them out, there is no rhyme or reason to them. I have to say the tunnel system is nice in the summer though... we don't have to get out in the heat and humidity for lunch, we just go underground. It's always fun to host visitors/clients downtown during the dog days of summer, because it never fails that one makes the comment "Why is there never anyone walking the streets here?", and then we tell them about the tunnel system below. It's one of the best kept secrets of Houston. Your beloved Spaghetti Warehouse is still there, and I don't think it will be going anywhere soon, still as popular as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
Honestly I have no idea what anyone says down here! I have been here for 2 yrs and I can not even take messages for dh bc I have no clue what anyone is saying. I feel like I live in a foreign country.

But the things I do here are

I am itching for-I heard one kid say "I am itching for a hotdog real bad!" I was thinking he might need to get some cjs butter for that.

Can't not--that drives dh insane.
You poor thing! PM me if you ever need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post
I'm 30, but spent my first three years in Louisiana & have Acadian heritage on both sides. there aren't any "Northern Transplants" here in my family and most of my older friends/neighbors are native Texan. I'm not saying that I've never heard any of the terms, just that people don't talk like that anymore here. It sounds more like backwoods redneck talk than anything. I guess you just don't hear that living in the suburbs now. Were outdoorsy, camp out in tents, hunt, off road, crab, fish, FFA, 4H, hunt alligators, owned horses etc, I guess the terms are just out grown now.

DH is also a directional driller, he deals more with jailhouse trash talk & broken Spanish/Spanglish (although he is fluent in Spanish being Bolivian).
True True, alot of the southern phrases seems to be familial in nature, but I wouldn't say it is outgrown just because you don't speak that way. Although it may sound backwoods and redneck to you, you might be surprised at the amount of affluent Southerners that don't temper their native slang for anyone. I worked for Conoco many years ago, and their former CEO, Archie Dunham, who was an OK native, could put my little list to shame. We all looked forward to town hall meetings with him, because he'd have the whole room in stitches, with the things that came out of his mouth. There is really nothing wrong with being proud of what you are and where you are from. I also worked for BP Wind Energy and had the pleasure of knowing their former CEO's Tony Hayward and Lord John Browne personally. One of their favorite things to do when they visited, was sit down with us "natives" and learn what all these different phrases meant, and comically enough, they were more than willing to enlighten us on their own British slang. It's all in good fun. I am certainly not trying to make Texas out to be a backwards, redneck state, but I am very proud of our colorful speech.

Quote:
It's called a crick in your neck right? I say that, I think it's right.

Then I also say crick instead of creek except when it's a name. Ex: I say Battle Creek (city) and, "got shwasted and fell in the crick."
Yep, it's a "crick in your neck", I've also heard "crook in your neck" and "Got a case of the Wry neck" too.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #134
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

People here use "hey" a lot like, "hey I'm just going to the store" or if you see someone you know you yell HEY!!! People answer the phone with "hey" too. I've noticed other places people get really put off by that. Here it's not rude, but elsewhere I suppose it is?

I think the hardest regional slang for me to get used to was when my brother lived in Hawaii. He just moved to OK city, OK so I imagine his use of the phrase "bra" and "yah?" at the end of every other sentance mixed with the y'all's and stuff has got to be interesting.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #135
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
We also say kin and it confuses people. Kinfolk, too.

Alternatively, I had no idea wtf a stoop was. I finally asked someone after an All in the Family reference one night. They were like, porch steps, but without the porch. And I'm like, "Where do you put your rocking chairs then??" LOL. In my childhood everyone had porches with rocking chairs

I'm trying to think of other stuff. Oh. Chitlins. Meaning children. That one annoys me. Um, oh! Cow tipping. Total crap myth. Don't ask someone to take you come tipping. You'll get pranked and laughed at. Same with snipe hunting. There is no such thing as a snipe bird. You will be left alone and lost in the woods.

For some reason people think moonshine is a brand when they visit here. It isn't. If someone offers you moonshine, just say no if you don't know what it is. If it's really moonshine, you'll likely regret it. Rednecks don't mess around with their 'shine.

WheelBARREL :headbang: drives me NUTS.

I'll add more as I think of them.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #136
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh yeah, one I picked up from my Pennsylvanian God mother:

keep your britches on.

or just the use of "britches" in general.
We say that a lot here too.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #137
melarndt
Registered Users

I live in Georgia and hear (and use) "bless your/their heart" all the time! Just a polite way to say something bad about someone down here!
melarndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #138
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post

I'm trying to think of other stuff. Oh. Chitlins. Meaning children. That one annoys me.

For some reason people think moonshine is a brand when they visit here. It isn't. If someone offers you moonshine, just say no if you don't know what it is. If it's really moonshine, you'll likely regret it. Rednecks don't mess around with their 'shine.

I call my kids chitlins occasionally. They think its funny, of course they don't know that its pig guts only that its something that grandma ate. You couldn't pay me to eat chitlins though.

And the moonshine . My step-dad (who is from No CA) was given some, he kept it reserved for an occasional sip. His brother came to visit and decided to have a glass. Yeah that didn't go well for him, I am surprised after the first gagging chug that he even drank half the cup. He sure regretted it though.

Last edited by jbug_4; 02-16-2013 at 05:34 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #139
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought of another southern- sure enough or sure enough did or more accurately shu enof . But I don't think I have heard anyone (under the age of 50) say that who wasn't trying to play into a southern speech stereotype. Never heard anyone but old timers say it seriously.

Is old timers used everywhere?

Not sure if its a MI or Midwestern thing but my inlaws and all of dh's friends and family say taters instead of potatoes in every way you'd say potato. That drives me insane because its sounds exactly like something southerners get made fun of for and I never heard anyone use taters (other then when referring to tater tots) until I moved to Michigan. Every time my mil offers me mashed taters or tater salad I cringe.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #140
Frizabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina
Oh, and the Portland area is called PDX, which is weird to me since that's just the airport code, but people say that talking about all of greater Portland, not just the airport. It would be like calling LA "LAX" or Denver "DIA." Weird, right?
This is done for Atlanta too- ATL!
Frizabeans is offline   Reply With Quote