Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #141
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Commonsnipe67.jpg

Exists.... Just not around here

Fo sho means for sure (hate this one) as inabsolutely

Advertisement

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #142
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Things people say where you live.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Not sure if its a MI or Midwestern thing but my inlaws and all of dh's friends and family say taters instead of potatoes in every way you'd say potato. That drives me insane because its sounds exactly like something southerners get made fun of for and I never heard anyone use taters (other then when referring to tater tots) until I moved to Michigan. Every time my mil offers me mashed taters or tater salad I cringe.
I'm in Michigan and we don't say taters around here. That would drive me crazy!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #143
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox View Post
I'm in Michigan and we don't say taters around here. That would drive me crazy!
Its probably their area. They all live within a 50 mile radius of each other. I haven't heard anyone say it since we moved out of that area. We're only slightly out of it now but I haven't heard it since we moved. I have heard it in the store too so it must be their area.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #144
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Where I live, people say ON-ree for ornery.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #145
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym91005 View Post
Lol, ill bring you one! My hubby forgot mine the other day and it wasn't pretty, lol, not good to be w/out your dunks!
With or without Dunks, we SHOULD meet up! I think you are only about 40 minutes away. I am sure we can come up with a good meeting place!

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #146
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
we say "pau" all the time- Hawaiian for finished or done.
One time in class a TA asked a girl from the mainland if she was pau (we were finishing a test) and she said, "No, I'm Emily."
Old 02-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #147
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
I thought of another southern- sure enough or sure enough did or more accurately shu enof . But I don't think I have heard anyone (under the age of 50) say that who wasn't trying to play into a southern speech stereotype. Never heard anyone but old timers say it seriously.

Is old timers used everywhere?

Not sure if its a MI or Midwestern thing but my inlaws and all of dh's friends and family say taters instead of potatoes in every way you'd say potato. That drives me insane because its sounds exactly like something southerners get made fun of for and I never heard anyone use taters (other then when referring to tater tots) until I moved to Michigan. Every time my mil offers me mashed taters or tater salad I cringe.
I say it

And we say taters. Mashed potato salad, which is warm and doesn't have eggs or chunks down here btw, is said 'ash 'tater salad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #148
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
With or without Dunks, we SHOULD meet up! I think you are only about 40 minutes away. I am sure we can come up with a good meeting place!
We should! It would be fun :-) do you know Easton is? I'm near there, where are you? I would love to meet a cool ds mom!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #149
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajiggles View Post
I am a Canuck, and within the country, there are sooooo many differences. Lots of EH's, we wear toques, go to TIMS, and everyone knows that Tim is not a friend or relative, but our beloved coffee shop. We drink Pop, not soda, when asked how far something is, we anseer in hours and minutes, or in CLICKS. Growing up middle names were the most serious of threats followed with, I am gonna beatcha til you're black and blue. When caught ina lie you are sweating like a hooker in church lol....lyin like a rug...

DH is from northern ontario, where they ride snow machines/sleds in the winter, go to camp (the cottage) in the summer. They park the car in the "grage, eat "PERSIANS" (strange and yummy cinnamon donuts with strawberry icing). Everyone is from down east or out west lol.

My Mom is from the East coast which is a whole lot of backwords talk and phrases. "Eh der by" (right son? Or that boy over there), they (where my Mom lived in rural NB) had steak and eggs for breakfast...but the steack was half inch thick fried bologna..aka NEWFIE STEAK. Everyone lives "up da road" no matter the direction. I haven't been there for years, but when I came back in elementary school, nobody understood me for months.
Interesting many of these are true if my hometown in ne wi! Everything about your dh except snow machines. They are snow mobiles. And 4 wheelers are not called quads. And I know all about tim horton thanks to robin sherbatski!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #150
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Growing up in Vermont I had no idea until college that soft serve ice cream was anything but a creemee. Here all ice cream comes are creemees, you can get them with plain or rainbow jimmies.

And ours are MUCH better anyway.