Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

We had a mother of a student with behavior problems who was from the south. She told us one day if he was acting up to tell him she said she'd "come down there and GET him, and I DON'T mean pick him up!" That straightened him up quick.

Advertisement

mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post

Seriously?!? Wow where do you come from? The city seems so cold and unwelcoming to me.
See that's what I think but dh (who is from Chicago) says people there are very caring. I do know for certain that Chicago drivers are the worst, even worse than Seattle drivers
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Things people say where you live.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
Seriously?!? Wow where do you come from? The city seems so cold and unwelcoming to me but i grew up in NE wisconsin in a teensy town population 2500. No stoplights in the entire county. Everyone was cousins somehow and everyone waved when a car drove by without even looking up to see if they knew who it was.

I was a transplant and there were some odd things i didnt understand as a kid. Your aunt was not pronounced like the bug but like ohn-t or ahn-t. In SE WI its like the bug. Also after sentences people add something that is pronounced like en-so. Its said after a statement that deserves agreement such as "boy those packers played great on sunday en-so!" Or "its nice we only got one foot of snow this week en-so!"

Also there is something called booyah there and you dont exclaim it, you eat it. Macaroni in chili is a hotly debated subject.
Aunt was pronounced like the bug for me and it wasn't pop it was paaap. When I moved to New Mexico I was asked what kind of coke I wanted and I said whatever pop you have is fine. The lady looked at me like I just asked her to pop me one. And chilli is a pepper not a dish, I ordered chilli and asked for crackers and a spoon and they laughed at me. When they asked if I wanted green or red I had this horrible vision of moldy chilli to make it green.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm totally guilty of saying I'm gonna beat your behind as well as I'm gonna box your ears. I'm also guilty of saying I'm gonna smack you into the middle of next week . Middle names are saved for when they are in MAJOR trouble. ( No , my children do not get smacked or beat)
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
Youins going to go to the store
Oh that's right back home it is you guys but here it is youall. Never heard youins. This is great I love local dialect.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
We had a mother of a student with behavior problems who was from the south. She told us one day if he was acting up to tell him she said she'd "come down there and GET him, and I DON'T mean pick him up!" That straightened him up quick.
I am rolling ,I can just imagine "Jimmy your mom said knock it off or she is going to come GET YOU"
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Where I'm originally from, the NYC suburbs, we stand ON line, not in line.

Here in Buffalo, where nobody is quite sure if we are Midwest or Northeast (I say Great Lakes) it's very much about food and weather. The number of bars here is neck and neck with the number of churches, which might tell you something about how "devout" it is here.

Also, the friendliness here is downright frightening. When I moved here from Long Island and went clothes shopping, I was actually confused and annoyed when a store clerk asked me if I needed help. I was like ... did I ask you for help? Ha, amazing now 15+ years later how different the cultures are.

There is still a bit of snow on the ground, but any day now I'll be wearing my birks and young guys will be wearing their cargo shorts and Buff State hoodie pullovers.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
See that's what I think but dh (who is from Chicago) says people there are very caring. I do know for certain that Chicago drivers are the worst, even worse than Seattle drivers
I am starting to think there is something really wrong with me because I lived there too and I never saw the good side either. It always seemed so cold and uncaring.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I will have to think about it. For the life of me I have no clue any unusual sayings we have here in Wyoming. I guess one thing would be using the word "like" instead of the word ummm.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ha, drivers are *awful* but I cannot go for a bus ride or a train ride without someone making conversation, wondering how my day is going, do I know where I'm going (once they've heard my accent). People smile and say hello in the street, and everyone stops and talks to my little girl. The bus drivers wait for you, and if you can see a bus you'll need to make a connecting journey on, they will stop traffic, hooting the whole time, while they try and catch the other driver's attention.

We don't do that in London. The only interaction with strangers on public transport there is sexual harassment.

When I first moved here, I asked a server in a restaurant where the toilet was, and he was absolutely disgusted with me. When my husband first moved to England, he asked a waiter where the restroom was, and the poor kid stammered that they didn't have a lounge.