Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #51
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Things people say where you live.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I don't know if it's local, but we say "What is WRONG with you!?!?!" when a kid does something stupid. Or my own personal favorite "Have you lost your mind?"

Even though the offenses are pretty small. In fact, for a serious offense, you wouldn't say that at all. Because it's said in almost an endearing way.
We said this all the time growing up. I never thought about what a mean question it really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I have a daycare grandparent from Minn. She says things like "I prolly shoulda boughten that when I seen it". Nothing else she says sounds strange to me...just those few words.

Please tell me that's a Northern thing to say?
We lived in North Dakota for awhile and they would always say,"did ya now" or "are you now". It took me awhile to get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
I use wicked...often

I will say that I have never said youse though...Nor have I ever heard it..

I have been told by many people from both here and other states that I don't seem to have an accent. I just...pronounce a word...
I get teased for using all the letters and syllables in a word all the time! Especially in Texas, but growing up we would pronounce every letter . I remember one time I was at the grocery store store talking to this old man and I was talking about potatoes and tomatoes,and he said "shoot darlin you are goin to have to drop some letters or no one will have time to talk to you" I told dh it is proper pronunciation and he said "no ,just a waste of time"

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #52
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Some English ones, mostly rude:

- Taking the piss/taking the mickey: making fun of
- Omnishambles: this one is new, it comes from the show The Thick Of It featuring brilliantly creative curser Malcolm Tucker (google some of his more inventive ones, they're not clean enough for here), meaning something that is completely, thoroughly, top-to-bottom disastrous
- Wanker/Tosser/Bell-end/Plonker/Git
- Bugger off/sod off: buggery means sodomy. It's really funny to hear Americans use "bugger" for something mildly annoying.
- Fanny: vagina; never ever a bottom (arse)
- Sorted!: Ready, or I fixed it!
- Rubbish: trash/garbage; talking rubbish is talking nonsense.
- On the pull: looking for, um, romance.
- Pear-shaped: taken a turn for the disastrous
- Innit: isn't it, now used everywhere, at the end of every sentence, innit.
- nice one: thanks, good job, well done.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #53
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am a Canuck, and within the country, there are sooooo many differences. Lots of EH's, we wear toques, go to TIMS, and everyone knows that Tim is not a friend or relative, but our beloved coffee shop. We drink Pop, not soda, when asked how far something is, we anseer in hours and minutes, or in CLICKS. Growing up middle names were the most serious of threats followed with, I am gonna beatcha til you're black and blue. When caught ina lie you are sweating like a hooker in church lol....lyin like a rug...

DH is from northern ontario, where they ride snow machines/sleds in the winter, go to camp (the cottage) in the summer. They park the car in the "grage, eat "PERSIANS" (strange and yummy cinnamon donuts with strawberry icing). Everyone is from down east or out west lol.

My Mom is from the East coast which is a whole lot of backwords talk and phrases. "Eh der by" (right son? Or that boy over there), they (where my Mom lived in rural NB) had steak and eggs for breakfast...but the steack was half inch thick fried bologna..aka NEWFIE STEAK. Everyone lives "up da road" no matter the direction. I haven't been there for years, but when I came back in elementary school, nobody understood me for months.
amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #54
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I grew up on the West coast, was raised partially by a person from Louisiana, have lived in Boston, New York, and New Jersey, and most of my doctors are able to practice in Philly. I also have a DH who's family is from the mid west. Oh and we watch a ton of BBC America. I think as long as someone speaks English they sound normal to me!

So I don't really notices the differences.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #55
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymommy View Post
We say "dude" at least once per conversation. And it means so many different things depending on the tone used.
Yeah I'm from the pnw and I still say dude and hella lol
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #56
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove View Post

I don't believe it, Seattle drivers are the worst. Born and raised there.

I say dude all the time too. Even call my boss dude.
T's in the middle of words become d's as in water becomes wa-der.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I've driven in Seattle plenty of times. I make dh drive when we go to Chicago. It's downright dangerous
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think Florida is the worst drivers that I have found, and I have driven in Seattle, Boston, NYC, and so on. Florida drivers are bad because they are unpredictable. Though I do have a healthy respect for Connecticut drivers too. They go OUT of their way to get IN your way. DH thought I was nuts till he drove through CT and realized I was right.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #58
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE
Midwestern transplant to small town Tennessee, so the list goes on and on for local oddities in speech for me. Two of my favorite language perversions here are the addition of unnecessary prepositions, i.e., "I'm going to get me a coke, want one?" "I'm taking me to the dentist"; and the necessary emphasis on the first syllable of a word, i.e. "IN-sur-ance" "CE-ment" as opposed to "in-SUR-ance" and "ce-MENT".
In Tennessee, we make grades don't get them, have our picture made not taken, carry people somewhere instead of giving them a ride.
Up-ere is up there, ov-ar is over there, some-ere is somewhere. Really fun when you work in a bar and a man tells a story about some-ere ov-ar in the next county... Right, somewhere, overthere in Jackson County, got it.
e's used mid work are often pronounced like i's. So a fence is pronounced FINCE, a pen is pronounced PIN.
Towns that end in ville are pronounced by some locals as vul. Nashvul, Knoxvul, etc...
Some locals use "get a holt to" in lieu of "get a hold of". So DH's boss will get a holt to him next week...
I have family in tennessee and just yes to all of this. I love going to visit and hear everyone talk.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #59
mommytoallgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now
Well when we were in the south anything carbonated is "coke". Here in Idaho it is soda. I still call them all cokes. When we go out to eat I will ask my kids what kind of coke they want. Lol!

And before the coke police get all over me, I dont buy cokes for the house. My kids dont have them regularly. But when we go out I allow them to get one as a treat. They can get one plus one refill then it is water.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
We say coke here in KY and you must specify which kind. My DH said soda at first. Now he's caught on to the coke way.

Also, we say main for very in some ways. Like, the main back of the building instead of very back. And you don't carry things or kids. You pack them.
Diane, wife to teacher Frank. And home birthing, breastfeeding, cosleeping, cloth diapering, dairy free, SAHmama to Lily-Frances (12/07), Georgia (4/10), and Owen (1/13) and stepmama to Hailey (12/05)
mommytoallgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #60
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am originally from Pittsburgh and they have an interesting dialect

Some favorites are:
Gumband- this is a rubber band
Dahn tahn - down town
Yunz- plural of you
Pop - soda, I still say this
Warsh - wash
Jumbo - bologna
Kabossy- kielbasa
Slippy - slippery
Oh and our inanimate objects have needs, such as " the car needs washed, the lawn needs cut" completely skipping the "to be"

Now in Ohio, they still use pop for soda in our area but overall the local dialect doesn't have many quirks, or I don't notice them.