Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
chillimom
Registered Users

Newbie stash advice needed!

Hi

I'm due in 9 weeks with my second babe, first to be cloth diapered. DD1 is 2 1/2 and hasn't PL yet and has always been in disposables. Undecided yet on whether I'm going to switch her to cloth trainers or keep buying disposables and hope she PL soon, but that's another thread!

Anyway, for the newbie I have:
- 2 small gdiaper covers
- 3 econobum covers
- 2 flip aplix covers
- 6 knit wool soakers in newbornish size (my gram has been knitting for me)
- 12 econobum unbleached cotton prefolds
- 4 sewn by me newborn/smallish fitteds
- 12 alva pockets with mf inserts (otw)
- 6 3-layer bamboo inserts (otw)
- 6 newborn bamboo inserts ( otw)

I'd like to do laundry every second or third day. I'm thinking I should pick up another dozen prefolds, and/or sew up some more fitteds?

I also have an extra 5 prefolds I got second hand that are super old, big, and thick (they're the old Indian cotton ones with blue edges), which I will add in when baby is a bit bigger - right now they're just too big for a newborn. Oh, and I have somewhere between half a dozen and a dozen old flannel flats that we're given to me as burp cloths/swaddling blankets for DD1, along with a bunch of receiving blankets. I can't see DH using flats any way but pad folded though, unless there's a way to pre-fold them for the most part? I have 8 snappis, not into pinning.

For making-my-own supplies, I've got a bunch of PUL, diaper flannel, patterned flannel, cotton terry, bamboo terry, bamboo fleece, regular fleece, suede cloth, and microfiber. Plus snaps, aplix, FOE, and braided elastic. Enough to make at least a dozen diapers and covers I'd guess. Also a bunch of wool from up cycled sweaters that just needs to be sewn into soakers and longies.

I have big, fat babies who grow fast with super chubby thighs. DD1 was 9.3 at birth, 10 lbs at a week, and just gained from there. I expect this babe to be as big or bigger.

So, what, if anything, should I buy or make?

Advertisement

chillimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Even for a big babe the OS stuff won't fit really well right away and then you have the cord to deal with. The Econobum prefolds I have we're never really a good size for pinning or snappis. You will probably want some smaller prefolds and covers, but since you have a lot of wool maybe just getting some newborn fitteds like KL0s would be worth it. Or if you can make your own, making small ones with snap down in the front would be great
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newbie stash advice needed!

Doesn't sound like you have much for a newborn. You can probably fold down the prefolds to fit (but they may be big) and use the wool. Then your fitteds in wool... but nothing else sound like it will work with a newborn. Also because it's just first time you don't necessary know fitted (or even the wool) will fit under the cord...

For prefolds get specifically either newborn or infant size. Maybe get a few newborn or duo covers PUL covers to fit under the cord. Infant will need to be folded down but *should work*. If you get newborn they can be used as boosters later or int he gdiapers.

Do you have any extra white pouches for the gDiapers or just 2? With a younger baby those may just be one use with poop getting on the pouches (unless you hand wash). You can buy a 6 pack of extra pouches from gDiapers I think for about $20 and reuse the outer covers. The newborn prefolds will also work as inserts in the sm gDiapers.

For every other day washing, generally its recommended to have 30-36 changes for a newborn. If you are attaching prefolds onto the babe, than covers should be expected to last 4-5 changes
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

at 10lbs baby should fit into OS at least by week 2. You can also plan to supplement with sposies for the first week or so, everything fitting soon.

My son was 8.5lbs and was fitting into small gdiapers and OS diapers byt the third week
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

at 10lbs baby should fit into OS at least by week 2. You can also plan to supplement with sposies for the first week or so, everything fitting soon.

My son was 8.5lbs and was fitting into small gdiapers and OS diapers byt the third week

good luck!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

myboy was 9 pounds and now gaining weight well...we will see Monday at check on weight but fit in fbos in small setting. eight snap
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
chillimom
Registered Users

hmmm, totally not what I wanted to hear

I'm not willing to buy a newborn stash and then a OS stash, when, from everything I've read (and I've been lurking here since I got my bfp!) this LO is likely to only fit the newborn stuff for a couple of weeks. Seriously, my DD gained almost a pound a week, and hit just under 20 lbs at 4 months old. She never fit newborn-sized clothing - came out straight into 0-3 month, and outgrew that by the time she was 6 weeks old (moving into 3-6 months).

The whole point of CD for me is to save $ and budget is an issue. Also, I'm in Canada, so limited in what I can get. GMD prefolds aren't an option - paying $40 shipping plus dealing with duties/taxes from it coming through customs is just too much. The only prefold options I see from Canadian retailers are econobums, bummis, and thirsties hemp. The thirsties hemp are $8-$10 each, which is more than I am willing to spend on a prefold. Oh, there are the flip organic nighttime inserts too, but they seem the exact same width as the econobums (measured them against eachother), just narrower, and are way more expensive.

I love the idea of fitteds, but won't pay $30 for something meant to catch poo. Not knocking those who do and can afford to, but just doesn't make sense for me.

Pixi6s - you mention I don't know if my fitteds or wool will fit under the cord. Wouldn't that be equally a problem with purchased (vs homemade) fitteds and wool? I hear fitteds recommended for newborns all the time, so not sure what the difference is if I'm willing to make them myself? I already have all the fabric and supplies here.

Don't forget I've got 12 bamboo inserts coming, 6 in newborn size.

The gdiapers don't have extra plastic parts, but I don't mind hand washing as needed. I may pick up another pack of gdiapers too, as they're on sale right now.

I can quickly and easily do up some newborn-sized PUL covers with snap down for the cord. I kind of am thinking covers aren't the issue, so much as absorbent diaper parts that will work on a newborn.

Thoughts?

And for a fun point of reference, a couple pics that show the chunky hugeness I'm looking forward to.

about 3 weeks old - look at those thighs!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
holocene
Registered Users

Congratulations on the baby! And your daughter is really cute, those thighs!

I agree with previous posters, you don't have enough to use cloth full time with a newborn. You mentioned bamboo inserts, what are your plans with them? Where in Canada are you located? 12 bummis prefolds is 40$, you can snappi them until about 15lbs, and then you can tri fold them in your econobum covers until potty training. Look at your local Kijiji or Castanet classifieds. There are always prefolds and newborn covers on there.

♡ evah - mama to sam & ari.
holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
chillimom
Registered Users

Thanks

I'm in Chilliwack, BC.

I thought the bamboo inserts might work well in the g diapers, and as boosters? I'm getting them for wonderfully cheap through a coop, so figured I'd try them out.

How are the bummis prefolds different from the econobum ones? I can get a six pack of bummis prefolds for $10 online, and I think they were pretty cheap at the store the next town over too (I want to say $15?). The econobums were part of the starter pack where you get three wraps and a dozen prefolds for $60.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
tuxgirl
Registered Users

You mentioned not being sure how flats will work. I fold my flats (about half are actually just receiving blankets) immediately after washing, so all I have to do is just grab it out of the drawer and stick it on, then add a cover. Flats are cheap, and even if you can't get official flats as easily in Canada, you can get receiving blankets or flour sack towels cheap and easily. Note that receiving blankets are not always snappi-able, so you might want to take that into account if you go that route. I pin mine, but I know some people just wrap them around, then use the cover to hold the flat in place.

Also, have you checked amazon? Not sure about what amazon.ca has, but the US site has tons of cloth diapers. I've heard really good things about pooters fitteds. They aren't super cheap, but they are a lot better than most. (Their bamboo ones which are reported to be great for nights are only 14$).

Another way to do fitteds is to make your own prefitteds (like the gmd workhorse diapers). I've made a few, and they are ugly, but they work. I'm sure if you actually know how to sew, yours will probably look much better than mine, since mine are my first sewing project, they have all types of wonky stitching and such, but the important thing is that they work!
tuxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote