Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Re: Induction more dangerous for vbac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj7202 View Post
I have heard that even ingesting semen will help with the ripening hormones as an alternative, if sex is to uncomfortable... And I just read this article about eating dates and its affects on ripening...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21280989/
Wow! That is extremely interesting! I must admit that before I saw where this was coming from, I expected this to be an anecdotal article that was not scientific. Even though I didn't say anything, I feel the need to apologize. (And to go out and buy some dates!) It would be interesting to see the results of this on a larger sample size.

Advertisement

MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I was told the rupture risk with induction was around 1%. But that's with pitocin alone. I also had my 1st c/s at 38.5 wks due to preeclampsia. I had high bp with my second which led to no amniotic fluid at 37.5 wks and was rushed to a repeat c/s.if I were dilated we would've tried induction but I wasn't.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

You were given wrong info, unfortunately.
Pitocin is actually the recommended method for VBAC induction, and epidurals are definitely allowed!

Here's the SOCG guidelines for VBAC - it's kinda a boring read, but well worth having "under your belt" when talking with your OB/MW about VBACs.
The only trouble is that these are the guidelines in Canada... so they may argue with you about being in the states... I would argue that our bodies can't be that different, and ask them what makes a uterus magically change when we cross the border!!!

As far an inductions for VBACs go, cytotec is contraindicated completely - so I wouldn't even let that be an option given to me.
Cervidil is not recommended either - the thing is, that med works to thin the cervix, but the cervix is just the bottom/neck of the uterus and while thinning there, it can cause thinning of the lower portions of the uterus as well. Obviously this would increase the risk of rupture.
Pitocin is recommended as a form of induction, though they recommend constant fetal monitoring along with the pit.
And, AROM is fine.

This was actually my plan for induction (that I gave my OB, lol, but he completely agreed with me) - I would allow my body to go to 42 weeks, but DH and I were not comfortable with the risks of going beyond that point. At 42 weeks, if labor had not occurred naturally, we would start with AROM (because at that point I wouldn't care about being "on the clock", as I would want baby delivered whether by VBAC or csec) and see what my body did. If labor started, great. If not, we would start pit and see how things went.
Thankfully, this wasn't necessary as labor began on its own. But it was my plan, and like I said, my OB fully agreed with me.
This is essentially what my OB told me too. I had DS vaginally but am at increased risk for rupture due to uterine surgery I have had since. He just said I only get a small dose of Pitocin and nothing else to make me contract. I progressed very well with DS some hope that I can get this kid out easily too. He also has never said that I couldn't get an epidural. I am at a 5% risk of rupture and he said that a VBAC is typically a 1-1.5% chance of rupture.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj7202
I have heard that even ingesting semen will help with the ripening hormones as an alternative, if sex is to uncomfortable... And I just read this article about eating dates and its affects on ripening...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21280989/
Really? I have always read that it is the cervical exposure to the prostaglandins in it. I don't see how ingesting it would help at all.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
birdinhand
Registered Users

Ingesting, technically, would get it into your blood stream more quickly because of how it's absorbed in the mouth and the gut. I did read it once, and I can't remeber where, that semen "may" contain prostaglandins. I always thought it DID contain prostaglandins, so when I read that it made me think, is there some semen that DOESN'T contain prostaglandins? Here I had been saying all along in my classes, that it does. It threw me a little. Anybody heard anything like that?

I have got to believe that if I were too uncomfortable to have sex, ingesting semen would just be something that would make me a vomitous mess.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
ankc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
You were given wrong info, unfortunately.
Pitocin is actually the recommended method for VBAC induction, and epidurals are definitely allowed!

Here's the SOCG guidelines for VBAC - it's kinda a boring read, but well worth having "under your belt" when talking with your OB/MW about VBACs.
The only trouble is that these are the guidelines in Canada... so they may argue with you about being in the states... I would argue that our bodies can't be that different, and ask them what makes a uterus magically change when we cross the border!!!

As far an inductions for VBACs go, cytotec is contraindicated completely - so I wouldn't even let that be an option given to me.
Cervidil is not recommended either - the thing is, that med works to thin the cervix, but the cervix is just the bottom/neck of the uterus and while thinning there, it can cause thinning of the lower portions of the uterus as well. Obviously this would increase the risk of rupture.
Pitocin is recommended as a form of induction, though they recommend constant fetal monitoring along with the pit.
And, AROM is fine.

This was actually my plan for induction (that I gave my OB, lol, but he completely agreed with me) - I would allow my body to go to 42 weeks, but DH and I were not comfortable with the risks of going beyond that point. At 42 weeks, if labor had not occurred naturally, we would start with AROM (because at that point I wouldn't care about being "on the clock", as I would want baby delivered whether by VBAC or csec) and see what my body did. If labor started, great. If not, we would start pit and see how things went.
Thankfully, this wasn't necessary as labor began on its own. But it was my plan, and like I said, my OB fully agreed with me.
Maybe so--- I should have added that my OBGYN/midwives were much more supportive of the natural method for VBAC and minimal intervention, they wanted me to go into labor on my own and I was high risk with Pre E as well- they had very high success rates in our area at the time too (6 yrs ago upstate, NY) things are always changing and it is great that moms have more options for VBAC. I remember my SIL delivered at a hospital a few years ago that would not even allow VBAC. Thanks for the links and info
Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

each is different. my girls were late my boy was 4 fdays early. induction for first kid i hear means higher c section rate.... next kids ripen & all faster.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankc View Post
Maybe so--- I should have added that my OBGYN/midwives were much more supportive of the natural method for VBAC and minimal intervention
I do understand that, and that's a good perspective to have. But they still should be giving correct info, not "adjusting" the truth to fit their opinions, kwim?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read all the replies but wanted to say I was induced with all 5 of mine due to dangerously low fluid levels. My first was at 41w3d and was the longest induction and I'm almost certain that if I didn't have a midwife I would have ended up having a section. With my second I was induced at 38w2d and the induction went very smoothly. With my third again at 38w2d I was induced (with a foley as well) and everything was going along fine but my water was broken before my son's head was applied to the cervix and his arm came out (could have been so much worse!) which resulted in a section.
My section was single layer closure (I was never consulted or even informed in the matter) and I was told by another OB that he refused to allow me VBAC and no other OB would either. I went back to the OB that delivered #2 and had 2 successful VBAC's with no complications whatsoever!
I went VBAC with my 4th at 39 weeks. Prior to induction my water was broken so a monitor could be placed internally (OB stipulation for VBAC) and low dose pit was started. No issues, and had a successful VBAC.
With my 4th I was 39w5d when I was induced and actually was going to the hospital for a scheduled section that I got out of! I was going into labor on my own and was dilating so the OB canceled the section. Things kinda slowed down so the same procedure as #4 was followed and resulted again in a successful VBAC.
Has anyone recommended evening primrose oil inserted vaginally? I also got lots of prostaglandins from my husband.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 02-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you looked into any ways of trying to prevent pre-e naturally or talked w/ your ob about it?