Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
What DO you love about your library.

What does your library do that makes you keep coming back? Are there any events that you look forward to every year? Certain programs you recommend to friends?

Our library is in a bit of a pickle and in trying to help with fundraising ideas

Advertisement

FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What so you love about your library?

Ours has a GREAT teen program, which we love. Every Tuesday and Thursday they have something planned. One week it will be a game night, the next they have pool noodle sword fighting competitions, etc. They also have a program called TAB (teen advisory board) where the teens read a new book, review it, and vote on whether or not it should be added to the library. I think those meetings are once a week or every other week. Here is more info http://cityoflavista.org/index.aspx?NID=101

For littles they have story hours and MOPS, as well as a lego club and craft hour. http://cityoflavista.org/index.aspx?NID=102

For adults they have a quilting club and a computer instruction group where they teach adults how to use computers.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 02-15-2013 at 11:58 AM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we love our story time, we also have free art classes there every week. for fundraising we have a duck race each year, the library is next to a creek so they race rubber duckies (they are $2 each) for prizes, the kids love it because they release all the ducks up stream and the kids are usually in the creek at the other end catching them.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've been less than impressed with our library. They don't do any events and they're phasing out librarians. They want you to check out your own books at a self service kiosk and pay with a debit card. I can never find anyone to help when I need it. They used to have this thing called the Bookmobile that came around to local neighborhoods every three weeks. They collected donations for the service, but didn't charge for it. You could even reserve books and have them brought on the Bookmobile for you to pick up. The program got reduced to low income neighborhoods only, but when they quit receiving donations the service stopped altogether. Once in a blue moon, they'll have a singer or something. And they do have story time once a week, but my kids don't enjoy either of those things.

Another library system near us does all sort of things; tea parties, craft events, holiday parties, etc. They do one thing I think is so cool. It's called the Stuffed Animal Sleepover. The first day, you and your kid drop off their favorite stuffed animal. After the kids leave, the library staff takes a few staged pictures like a story time. And some pictures of the animals sleeping in the library. They post the pictures on Facebook. The next day, kids get to pick their stuffed animal up, they have a little play time, and they get a picture of their stuffed animal doing something. It's a free event, but they accept donations.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We actually don't do much at our library, but they have a ton of cool things. They have teen events, reading with dogs, traditional story time for various little's, random community things (I know they had a local band do something there a couple months ago), and more. They have a good selection of books, are helpful, have online options to put books on hold, do ebooks. They do a reading program in the summer for the kids with great prizes, Inc.using coupon books for free admission to various local museums and other things. Right now they are even doing a reading program for the adults with prizes.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

our library is in process of remodel so relocated but ours i like has kiids area just for making noise...none of the shhhhhh quiet. toys comps for kids. puppets. babty talk, toddler time, multiple language story times put on buy peolple from different backgrounds (some i hear are all in the other language & some are ikn both english & other language), story time for families (no crafts right now but usually has one with craFtes).... daddy daughter night since most mommies bring kids in day although as my hubby workds then i sometimes still bring kids to that event & it is all ok we just do craft for daddy. sometimes arounfd 14th of feb i think(but on hold too ). i get to see people i dont normally get to see.
lots of kids programs.....dan wardel comes & dinner theater ( hot dogs & light other things.... movie nights. after school time foer kids on wed as they get out early on thyat day. bbookmobile.ecorate bikes in parade. conversations in english for internationals wanting to work on english. reading programs for all ages. games.egg hunt for easter. .

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 02-16-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: addin
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Awesome! Keep them coming.
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Sparklebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our library has a ton of activities, which is super cool! They do the usual storytime for the little ones a couple times a week, they routinely have musicians come in in the evening and do kind of a mini concert, they've brought in puppeteers and magicians for special evening shows. There are also book clubs, all kinds of things for teens-- which I don't usually pay attention to since I'm not one and we don't have any yet but for example, the teens had a murder mystery evening a couple weeks ago. Oh, and during the elections they had the kids section all set up with campaign posters for different famous book bears (Pooh, Corduroy, a couple others) and they had little ballots that the kids could vote on, it was really neat.

There is quite literally something different going on there every day of the week, it's a very active library and nice that they have something for everyone!

Sparklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly the best thing about our library is the librarians. They know us by name, they chat with us about books, they help us find things, and they are just all around awesome. Because of that awesomeness, I have encouraged every group I belong to that does charitable donations to include our library.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

separate room for under 10, including toddler couches, fluffy mats, toys, etc

separate room for teens, and for studying/computer space for highschool & university students

backpacks of books for set ages (0-1, 1-3, 4-5, etc) that you can grab & go when your times/arms are full of kiddos. You just return the books with the backpack & they get switched up each time

books that are "wrapped" in blank paper & just include a genre on the front (more for teens/adults)

free entry passes for our local ski hills, pools, museums, etc (2 adults + 4 kids, usually, weekly sign-out)

baby time, toddler time, family story times, plus evening reading times (for working parents to also get library program / calm down time at night!)

librarians who know there stuff / are friendly (ie. patron:I'm trying to teach my daughter to read time. librarian: There are four books that are great for ages 4-5. One of them has moving hands to practice with, lets go find it.)

This one is really $$, but I LOVE the big scanners for checkout - you just swipe your card, dump all your books in the big opening (works in cloth bags!), it prints out the list and you head on your way! Our closest library was recently reno-ed and has glass viewing (with step stools for littles) to watch the electronic/automated mechanical sorting of returned library books - also very cool.