Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy View Post
We never cheated on Sundays either. My mom told me that growing up they had no meat on Wednesdays and FridayS during Lent and no meat year round on Fridays. For me that would be a cooking nightmare!! I had a hard time this week.
that's a LOT of cheese pizza

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #22
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Not a YAGE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
that's a LOT of cheese pizza
That was dinner tonight and Mac and cheese is another one with some steamed broccoli
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd be happy to share some meatless meal ideas if you want. We eat meatless a few nights a week. Tonight, we had roasted veggie pot pies.
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #24
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
I'd be happy to share some meatless meal ideas if you want. We eat meatless a few nights a week. Tonight, we had roasted veggie pot pies.
I would love some I am a meat addict and I guess because I know I "can't" have it on Fridays during Lent I think about it all of the time. Crazy!!
Oh the other issue is I cannot cook fish here at home or any shellfish DH is very allergic and it makes his eyes burn if it is cooked in the house.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #25
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
For the pot pies, I chopped up a bunch of veggies (carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, leek) and tossed them with a little oil, garlic and herbs. I roasted the veggies for about 20 minutes at 400. Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large sauté pan. Whisk in 1/4 cup flour. Gradually whisk in 2 cups of liquid (I did 1/2 cup white wine, the rest was vegetable stock). Bring to a simmer. When roasted veggies are done add them to the sauce. I threw in some chopped broccoli and frozen peas at this point. Use your favorite pie crust recipe and line the bottom of a pie plate, add veggies, top pie with remaining crust. Poke a couple of holes in the top crust. Bake at 375 for about half an hour until golden.

Some other favorites around here are roasted veggies over quinoa, spinach and tofu pasta rolls, lentil or bean soups with cornbread waffles (just put your favorite cornbread batter on the waffle iron), quinoa chili, black been tacos or enchiladas, ricotta baked ziti, cheese ravioli. If you want recipes for any of these, let me know!
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #26
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
I haven never heard of Sunday's being excluded, I am confused about that too.
Maybe my family just made it include Sunday's as we grew up but I looked this up and yep, it says Sunday's are excluded and makes it the 40 days.
I gave up Soda and having a hard time.

ETA~
Lent is the forty-day liturgical season of fasting, special prayer and almsgiving in preparation for Easter. The name "Lent" is from the Middle English Lenten and Anglo-Saxon Lenten, meaning spring; its more primitive ecclesiastical name was the "forty days," tessaracoste in Greek. The number "forty" is first noted in the Canons of Nicaea (A.D. 325), likely in imitation of Jesus' fast in the desert before His public ministry (with Old Testament precedent in Moses and Elijah). By the fourth century, in most of the West, it referred to six days' fast per week of six weeks (Sundays were excluded); in the seventh century the days from Ash Wednesday through the First Sunday were added to make the number forty.
I gave up soda too. Good to know I can have it on Sundays
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #27
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The Sunday part isn't new. We practiced it where I grew up.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #28
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So my husband said rather than give up DS, which isn't hurting anything, I should watch my tongue (which has a habit of swearing like a sailor). Every time I swear I have to donate $1 to the church. SOOO... I'm back (we decided this was a better idea at 9:30 this morning), and I already owe $11, and that's with me really trying. Hmmmm... My husband is a wise man (who is soon to be broke).

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
So my husband said rather than give up DS, which isn't hurting anything, I should watch my tongue (which has a habit of swearing like a sailor). Every time I swear I have to donate $1 to the church. SOOO... I'm back (we decided this was a better idea at 9:30 this morning), and I already owe $11, and that's with me really trying. Hmmmm... My husband is a wise man (who is soon to be broke).

that is one I should work on too.

I gave up pop ( soda, soda pop, coke - whatever everyone calls it from the other thread) and I miss my afternoon caffeine.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #30
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post

This is one I'm working on this season as well. Falling miserably.