Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Potty training a boy

At what age and how did you teach your son to pee standing up? Ds will be 3 in June. He's been potty trained for 4 months but insists on sitting down. Standing up terrifies him for some reason. We've even tried the "try to pee on the Cheerios" trick but its still a no go. I'm assuming this is normal but any suggestions? Life would be easier (especially after I have our 3rd child) if I didn't have to lift him up on to the toilet every single time he has to go!

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty training a boy

Send him to go with dad and have dad tell him this is how guys do it? The two boys I have that are potty trained never sat down to pee they were sent to the bathroom with dad, grandpa or the younger one with big brother and thats how they learned.
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure one day he'll just want to pee standing up. In the mean time - can you just get a step stool that your ds can use to get on the potty by himself?

I'm still working on getting ds to want to use the potty at all but on the occation he wants to try he wants to sit down like his sisters. We have a step stool he can put in front of the toilet and climb up himself. My girls used this same step stool to reach to toilet until they were tall enough to not need it. They also use the stool to reach the sink to wash their hands afterwards.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
mommybonner
Registered Users

My son learned sitting down at just over 2 years of age and sometime after turning 3 one day he said he wanted to pee pee like a fireman. He will stand sometime but still prefers to sit at 3.5 years old. He always gets pee on his legs when he stands and hates that, not that I blame him. You can have dh show him but he will do it when ready. I'm potty training my youngest ds now and at 22 months old there is no way that I could imagine him peeing standing up and actually aiming it.
mommybonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
beyoung
Registered Users
seller

I second the step stool idea. I personally wouldn't rush the standing to pee thing - in my experience, little boys have terrible aim and as soon as they start to pee standing up, you're constantly cleaning up the pee that gets on and around the toilet!!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
beyoung
Registered Users
seller

I second the step stool idea. I personally wouldn't rush the standing to pee thing - in my experience, little boys have terrible aim and as soon as they start to pee standing up, you're constantly cleaning up the pee that gets on and around the toilet!!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ds just wanted to be like daddy. I just sent him in with dh when he was going. He didn't want to sit down like all the girls in this house once he saw that daddy stands up.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
He always follows dh in to the bathroom so he sees him standing up. But dh is just as clueless as I am about teaching him how to do it while standing! But it seems like he's right on target for his age. I just assumed most little guys were already standing!

As for the stool...we've tried. We may see if buying a new one will help but, for now, he won't use a stool. He tells us they aren't safe and he'll fall. He's definitely not my dare devil child!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I discouraged it until he was tall enough to stand & pee with flat feet. His aim isn't great to begin with; when he had just turned 3 and standing on tiptoes, wobbling around, still barely to get it over the rim of the bowl -- it was unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddys_mama View Post
Life would be easier (especially after I have our 3rd child) if I didn't have to lift him up on to the toilet every single time he has to go!
You say that, because you haven't had the horror of cleaning a bathroom used by a little boy yet.

In their defense, I think it's tough to learn good aim. Because it starts out arcing one way, then picks up and arcs out further, then comes back and drips to the end. So it takes time to master that. And height -- it's easier once they have several inches of clearance between the toilet bowl & penis. And motivation -- DS is now in charge of cleaning up the toilet and surrounding floor.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I did it right away with my first son, not really on purpose, though. It was my son's first outing in underwear and he was afraid to use a public toilet. He insisted he didn't have to go because he didn't want to sit on it. I had him stand on my feet facing the toilet so he was up higher and he was comfortable like that. Once he was done, he said, "I made bubbles!"