Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
FamiLEE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o hair thread

I pay $20. My wife pays $30. About $70for cut and color. Lucky I have a fried who works at a salon

Advertisement

FamiLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

I go to a no-tip "talent" salon that's $35 for a cut and $3 for each foil if you color your hair. The "talent" part means they are young artists that are building their skills. It's very reasonable and I am satisfied. Maybe you can find something like that?
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

That is expensive but about right, I went to a salon for full highlights and a cut and paid $60 because it was a groupon deal so half off, no way could I afford even that much to maintain my hair a month.
The lady who I like cutting my hair charges $15 and I color my own hair, it is super easy.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I get mine done at a nicer salon- I pay $25 for a cut and layer, and tip $5. My two little ones get their done by her as well and they are $5 each. ( My ds2 has really fine, still fluffy hair- it isn't really buzzable)

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebk
How much do you pay for cut and color? I have never done a real salon before, but I took my 14yo dd to have her hair done today for a surprise. She got an all over color with some peek a boo highlights and a cut (not dramatic, more trim with bangs). It cost me $160 with tip. Is that reasonable our should I shop around? It looks fantastic and I really like the lady that did it, but she says that my daughter should come in every six to eight weeks and that they do not touch up, it would be same price every time. I am thinking of getting some color too, but that would be very pricey for both of us to maintain. Thoughts?
I know this might sound confusing, but here is my suggestion -

Peek a boo highlights look great even when you let them grow out a little. They are obviously placed at the root of the hair when they are first done, but because they are covered by the rest of the hair, you can't tell when they grow out because the roots aren't showing. (Unless hair is up)

So.. You could just go and get the all over color touched up every 8 weeks (her hair will have grown about an inch by then) and have the peekaboos retouched every few months. Then you'd be paying for the root touch up (which is generally much less expensive than an all over color) and the cut. Should minimize your cost drastically.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The only time I ever colored my hair at salon they had to bleach out black, i was there for hours and after cut it was $120 after tip
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
MyLovely
Registered Users

Sounds right on. That's how much I pay for a trim and full highlights, but I have LONG hair so it takes forever and a bunch of dye

For over two years, I nannied for a hairdresser and she would do my hair (for free!) every 6 weeks. It was so great, because I'd have been out $200 or more for someone else of similar experience to be doing it. Then, I moved. Now I go 4-5 times a year.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cut style highlights $80. I always tip $20. Always looks great too. I get lots of compliments.

I cut DH's hair myself. It's easy because he had low maintenance style. Just take hair trimmers with #4 or 5 all around.

please excuse craziness - I am on my phone

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I cut my own but when I treat myself it's usually around $30. I buy my dye from Sallys, it's super easy.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I pay 70-80 for a full hilight or lowlight cut and style.
anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote