Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #51
Registered Users
My Mood:
I married a man who was taught how to cook, sew, clean, and fix pretty much anything. God bless his parents. I don't think I could be with a spouse who couldn't fend for themselves (and our kids) without me. DH has been put to the test multiple times while I was on bedrest and in hospital multiple times. He did amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Loving wife and a devoted mama to 13: three in my arms
(Hayden, Felicity and Teagan), and ten in heaven.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #52
Registered Users
I always have heat and eat food in our freezer. There is always grilled or poached chicken, ham, pulled pork, browned hamburger, taco meat, sloppy joes, and spaghetti sauce. There is usually chili and/or veg soup in there as well.

With those items, I know DH could figure out something. He might call me and ask for directions but he could make goulash or heat up anything from the freezer. He'd add leftover veggies from the fridge and bananas, apples, or applesauce. If there were no veggies in the fridge, he has no problem opening up a can of peas knowing DS loves them.

If all that were to fail, he would make quesadillas with fruit and veggie sides. He would also follow the meal plan as much as possible so if it was a night we were supposed to eat leftovers, he'd be happy to do so.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Married since 2002, Mama to DS1 since 03/2010 and DS2 since 06/2013. We BF, ERF, and CD. Always missing our little angels: 05/09 and 09/12.
kanga1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #53
Registered Users
DH usually does the dinner cooking at our house, unless it is something that is baked. My DH is home with the boys 3 nights a week while I am at school, so he has to cook. When I was growing up, a couple times my dad had to make dinner for us when my mom had surgery, we got Mac and cheese out of a box. He can't cook to save his life.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #54
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What would your spouse do for dinner?

No one would get fed and they'd all die of starvation probably... Or he'd order take out every meal. Seriously cause my dh can't even put together a bowl of cereal (teasing- kinda).
Erin- Helpmeet to David, Deaf. Reformed Christian. Homeschooling. SAHM to 5 on earth, 3 in eternity and currently in the family way! Edd July 2014! Grow baby grow!
erin_c_odonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #55
My Mood:

DH is as least as good a cook as I am, probably better. However when its just him and DD1 he keeps it simple. KD, or hot dogs and fries, chicken strips and veggies, something he know DD1 will eat without a fight. We havn't mealplanned in a while, but if I had left one, he could follow it.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #56
Registered Users
My Mood:

DH & I both love cooking, and he is the better baker of the two of us.

While we tend towards trying different things, we have communal cookbooks and he could (& probably would) follow the meal plan. I'm more likely to change the menu last minute based on a whim or mood.

He does do weird things for breakfast for our toddlers, though: olives, pickles.... today they were eating green peas with banana & raisin bread.
A (usually) happy wife mama to my BOGO girls, DD1 July 2010 and DD2 Dec 2011.

Last edited by MsGiggles; 02-16-2013 at 07:25 AM.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #57
Registered Users
My Mood:

My DH is not too bad with knowing how to make food. My oldest son (almost 11) can even make some meals on his own. We split up the week were my DH cooks weekends, I have 2 days a week I help our two youngest one day a week each and my oldest does one night a week mostly on his own. This last week my oldest made us smothered pork chops, mashed potatoes and mixed veggies. The potatoes were a bit lumpy, and the pork chops were a bit dry, but for an almost 11 year old it was a great meal.
I have a cookbook made up of our more popular meals so that they do not have to constantly ask me how to make stuff.
For things like pizza my DH would probably make my oldest make the dough, because he makes better dough then DH, but they would survive and be able to follow the majority of any meal plan I made up.
Alisha: SAHM and teacher to 3 great boys 03/2002, 11/2005, 11/2007, and one great girl -03/2013 2 Angel babies 7/2010,10/5/2011-
Come join the swag fun-
oregonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #58
Registered Users

Now don't get me wrong, the kids would have been fed. It would have been more like all day grazing on cheese, fruit, oatmeal, etc. He probably would have gone through all the fruit, veggies, and pasta in the house before he went to the store to get kraft easy Mac, frozen pizza and other convenience foods that I don't always keep in the house.

I did realize that had this happened during grill season, no problem. He would have been able to cook no problem. He would have thawed out a turkey, smoked it, and had turkey all week, probably with whatever raw cut up veggies or fruit he felt like. Oh and we have potatoes, so he probably would have thrown some potatoes on the grill too.
Kim-married to Dan
Mama to Caiti (17), Rae Rae (4), Dani Lee(2), and CJ, born 10/12/12.
Stuff From Kim's Kloset That Special Moment Photography Also come check out Swagbucks with me!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #59
Registered Users
I've been teaching him I to cook for years just in case of this, he'd probably splurge a little on eating out maybe once a week, but generally he'd be good. Mac and cheese from scratch, scratch pizza ( he makes crust better than me), bunches of pasta dishes, turkey tacos...the list goes on. And of course the grill...grilled veggies are awesome.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #60
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
My DH would probably make simple things like spaghetti, some other kind of pasta, mini pizzas, soft tacos. He has solid basic cooking skills, but tends to keep things pretty simple and likely would just serve raw veggies on the side.
Pretty much this.

The first night would probably be mcDonald's unless I specifically stated do not do that But after that, it would be basic foods and raw veggies- which is fine
Alyssa- Wife to my love, Mama to three bigger littles, my angel, and expecting our little Rainbow Christmas 2015!!

Owner and creator at for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote