Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,884
Wool dryer balls - want negative reviews too!

I don't want names of companies. I want to know if you tried wool dryer balls and if they didn't work for you, or if they did. Can you also say how many were in the load and if they were yarn or roving?

I want some if they'll help but I want to be realistic, too...

Advertisement

themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,733
Re: Wool dryer balls - want negative reviews too!

I haven't used them but you did say you want negative as well as positive. I have read if you don't clean out your dryer exhaust regularly it can pose a fire hazard. I have read they put off a lot of lint.
__________________
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
I haven't used them but you did say you want negative as well as positive. I have read if you don't clean out your dryer exhaust regularly it can pose a fire hazard. I have read they put off a lot of lint.
Good point. This doesn't bother me but it was a good reminder to clean ours out tonight.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
USNsis's Avatar
USNsis
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fountain, CO
Posts: 775
My Mood:
Re: Wool dryer balls - want negative reviews too!

I have four in my dryer right now, that I bought of Eco Baby Buys for $15. The biggest pain in the butt is finding them all when you take the laundry out. They love to hide and/or fall/roll away. It's a hide and seek game every time. I haven't noticed any dramatic changes in drying time, but I also haven't been clocking anything.
__________________
Erin, MAC's mommy (4/3/13)
SpEd Teacher, AF Reservist, AF Wife
USNsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
jamieism's Avatar
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Princeton NJ
Posts: 3,516
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNsis
I have four in my dryer right now, that I bought of Eco Baby Buys for $15. The biggest pain in the butt is finding them all when you take the laundry out. They love to hide and/or fall/roll away. It's a hide and seek game every time. I haven't noticed any dramatic changes in drying time, but I also haven't been clocking anything.
^^ same same. Except the dog ate one, and then there were three.

Dog liked it
__________________
Jamie, anthropologist mom to O (12-18-99), E (12-30-04) and R (4-22-10) Married to my best friend .
jamieism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
MotherMoonPads's Avatar
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Medford, Oregon
Posts: 20,638
My Mood:
Re: Wool dryer balls - want negative reviews too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism View Post
^^ same same. Except the dog ate one, and then there were three.

Dog liked it
And then the youngest child found one and thought it was a ball. And then there were two

I used them for a while. Thought I loved them, realized they were more of a pain *for*me* than what they were worth. The constant search for them drove me batty
__________________
Denelle, WAHM to Gwen (17) Z (17)Ezekiel (6) Eleanor (my homebirth baby is now 4!)
MotherMoonPads Reusable Cloth Menstrual Pads, Restocking Daily, Quick Shipping!
Saving your body & the Earth, One cycle at a time
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
debcita429's Avatar
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,298
Re: Wool dryer balls - want negative reviews too!

I have 3 large and 4 small in my dryer. Roving, not yarn. A couple of mine are starting to shed a little after 1 1/2-2 years of use. They do not cut dryer time for me but do replace fabric softener rather effectively. I say "rather" effectively b/c their static-limiting powers are, well, a little limited and b/c I really need more balls than that. I used 3 at first and was impressed enough to buy 4 more. I suspect I need 2-3 more to really get the clothes the way I want. It just isn't necessary enough to make it into the budget yet . I'm pleased overall.
__________________

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429
I have 3 large and 4 small in my dryer. Roving, not yarn. A couple of mine are starting to shed a little after 1 1/2-2 years of use. They do not cut dryer time for me but do replace fabric softener rather effectively. I say "rather" effectively b/c their static-limiting powers are, well, a little limited and b/c I really need more balls than that. I used 3 at first and was impressed enough to buy 4 more. I suspect I need 2-3 more to really get the clothes the way I want. It just isn't necessary enough to make it into the budget yet . I'm pleased overall.
So if we don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets, we may not care for them?

How does a dog eat one?? Yikes!
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
NewbieSAHM's Avatar
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,437
Re: Wool dryer balls - want negative reviews too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNsis View Post
I have four in my dryer right now, that I bought of Eco Baby Buys for $15. The biggest pain in the butt is finding them all when you take the laundry out. They love to hide and/or fall/roll away. It's a hide and seek game every time. I haven't noticed any dramatic changes in drying time, but I also haven't been clocking anything.
This. I use three in the dryer (after using 1/4 cup-ish of apple cider vinegar in the wash as fabric softener) and our clothes are the softest they've ever been!

Our cat likes to find them first and then give them to our dog who likes to eat them. Weird.
__________________
Amber, wife of M, mom of L (3/08) and A (5/14).
NewbieSAHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Art mama's Avatar
Art mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,108
My Mood:
I'm down to two if the nine I made because of the dogs. They fall in the floor, dog snatches them and out the doggie door they go!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.