Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can you school me on Legoland California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainmemphis View Post
I took ds in April he was exactly 2.5 years old. He was able to ride a lot of the rides. I remember being impressed with it being geared towards younger children. It was not over crowded and there were several free play areas. We enjoyed it so much we went back a second day.
So as long as he meets the 36" height requirement he should be able to ride?

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about Universal Studios? Can that be a one-day thing? Or does it need 2? We get in at 7:45 but we need to get luggage and cars. so we won't drive to the first attraction til much later.

We were considering going Universal first and buying the City Pass there. We would get an extra day there free. So we thought we would do Universal the first day which would be a short day since they close at 7, and then go back for a full day, but I'm not entirely sure that's necessary

Last edited by corinne76; 02-15-2013 at 09:02 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76 View Post
So as long as he meets the 36" height requirement he should be able to ride?
Technically, no. The signs all say 3yo AND 36" and a few say 4yo AND 36" (or higher), but it reality, few people will ask. If you are comfortable lying to the people who do ask (and you might go through the whole day without being asked), you can take him on anything with a 36" minimum. There are a few rides without an age minimum, but not many. Since we know the rules (b/c we read the signs carefully), we're not comfortable breaking them.

Disneyland is much better b/c there are no age minimums, only height. A few rides have the stipulation of no lap sitting (so a small baby must be able to sit with support), but that's it. DS misses a few rides there b/c he's short, but there are SO MANY rides that he CAN go on, that it doesn't bother him. As adults, we take a rider switch pass and DD rides twice (once with each adult).

Camp Snoopy at Knott's Berry Farm is also great for little kids.

DH and I are teachers, so every year we can go to Legoland for free (teacher promotion) and only pay for the kids (at reduced prices), but we will NOT go until DS is 4yo AND 36". He is finally 36", but not yet 4yo, so we will not go back yet. Even free, it's not worth it because DS was SO unhappy.

ETA: Can't help you with Universal b/c I've never been there. DH (SoCal native) doesn't even want to take the kids there until the youngest is 5yo and 40". He claims there is not enough for little kids to do. That is his opinion, and I can't add anything b/c I have never seen it myself.

Last edited by lanwenyi; 02-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi

Technically, no. The signs all say 3yo AND 36" and a few say 4yo AND 36" (or higher), but it reality, few people will ask. If you are comfortable lying to the people who do ask (and you might go through the whole day without being asked), you can take him on anything with a 36" minimum. There are a few rides without an age minimum, but not many. Since we know the rules (b/c we read the signs carefully), we're not comfortable breaking them.

Disneyland is much better b/c there are no age minimums, only height. A few rides have the stipulation of no lap sitting (so a small baby must be able to sit with support), but that's it. DS misses a few rides there b/c he's short, but there are SO MANY rides that he CAN go on, that it doesn't bother him. As adults, we take a rider switch pass and DD rides twice (once with each adult).

Camp Snoopy at Knott's Berry Farm is also great for little kids.

DH and I are teachers, so every year we can go to Legoland for free (teacher promotion) and only pay for the kids (at reduced prices), but we will NOT go until DS is 4yo AND 36". He is finally 36", but not yet 4yo, so we will not go back yet. Even free, it's not worth it because DS was SO unhappy.

ETA: Can't help you with Universal b/c I've never been there. DH (SoCal native) doesn't even want to take the kids there until the youngest is 5yo and 40". He claims there is not enough for little kids to do. That is his opinion, and I can't add anything b/c I have never seen it myself.
Thank you very much. I will need to do more contemplating on legoland.
I do think we will be going to knotts.
As for universal, I'm really not sure. We could buy the city pass since its cheaper and just do universal the first day, which will be a shorter day (late start,early turn in). We have 8 days to do things, get in early sat and then leave the following Sunday.
My thinking is get the pass and add an extra day pass for disney, so 4 days total fir Disney and cali adventure. Then one day at legoland, one at sea world, one at Knotts and one at universal.
Is that enough for disney? My kids have never gone and we won't be able to go back for at least a few years
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't remember seeing any age limits in addition to height requirements. Nobody ever asked how old ds was. We were with another family who also had a child under 2. We rode with them on all the rides they were tall enough for. We also did Disneyland but stuck mainly to fantasyland since it had more rides they could ride. It was much much more crowded but ds enjoyed both Parks.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going to CA: best attractions/parks for younger kids?

I grew up in San Diego, and my parents are still there. My kids pick Legoland over Disney Every.Single.Time
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Going to CA: best attractions/parks for younger kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76 View Post
Thank you very much. I will need to do more contemplating on legoland.
I do think we will be going to knotts.
As for universal, I'm really not sure. We could buy the city pass since its cheaper and just do universal the first day, which will be a shorter day (late start,early turn in). We have 8 days to do things, get in early sat and then leave the following Sunday.
My thinking is get the pass and add an extra day pass for disney, so 4 days total fir Disney and cali adventure. Then one day at legoland, one at sea world, one at Knotts and one at universal.
Is that enough for disney? My kids have never gone and we won't be able to go back for at least a few years
4 days at Disney should be plenty, depending on how crowded it is, how long you stay each day, and how important it is to you to do EVERYTHING. We are annual passholders, so we generally spend 3-4 hrs there, getting there right at opening and staying until noon or 1pm. By then, the kids are tired and the parks start getting crowded (parks are much emptier in the early mornings and after 10pm at night, some days the crowds will start thinning after 8pm). We can generally ride 8-20 rides during that time. More, if we stick to the kiddie rides, closer to 8 if we do a lot of rider-switching. If we're seeing night shows too, we leave by 11:00am and come back around dinner time.

If you want to see the parades AND view all of the night shows, 4 days would be necessary. If you're going to pick the things that are most important to you, you can see everything in 2-3 days.

Last Saturday, we went to California Adventure, got there at 7am and stayed until 1pm. We rode all the rides in the park except: Grizzly River Run (closed), California Screamin (DD's too short), Goofy's Sky School (broken down), Silly Symphony Swings (closed), and Tower of Terror (DD is scared of this ride). The only show we saw was Muppet Vision, we did not stay for the parade, and we did not go to World of Color or Mad T Party (night shows). If we had stayed the whole day, we could have done EVERYTHING (that was open) in one day. It was not crowded for a weekend day.

Depending on when you go, it may take 1.5 days for DCA, but that's about it unless you want to go back to repeat favorite rides.

Last Sunday, we went to Disneyland, got there at 7am and stayed until 1pm. We saw all of our favorites, but did miss a few things, including: all of Toon Town (didn't head up there that day), Pirates of the Carribean (line too long for us b/c a bunch of tour groups got in line just before we arrived at the line), It's a Small World (closed), Splash Mountain (closed), Peter Pan (line too long by the time the kids wanted to ride it; line had been shorter earlier, but the kids weren't interested then), Pinnochio (not a fave, but could have ridden if we wanted to), Casey Jr Circus Train (broken down when we went by), and Teacups (closed). We did not see any shows, fireworks, or night shows.

We can do everything at Disneyland on uncrowded days in abt 1.5 days. Doing everything at Disneyland on a crowded day (last Sunday was not crowded) takes 2-2.5 days if you want to do all the shows too. 3-4 days at Disneyland/DCA should be plenty.