Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
cody82414
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ADHD/SPD medication

what has worked?
what would you avoid?
any and all advice will be helpful

my son is 8 and in the 3rd grade

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ADHD/SPD medication

My DS is 6 and in Kinder. We started off on guanfacine, at first it made him extremely tired, luckily he was only in half day school, it's only a 4 hour duration so he took it 3 times a day and by 5pm he was falling asleep. It got better, after his body adjusted but he still had ups and downs. Now he's on a clonidine patch, it gets changed weekly. I'm really happy with the medication itself, but keeping the patches on can be challenging. Since he's getting a constant dose theres less ups and downs, and when he takes the patch off I can see the difference in his behaviour pretty quickly.
Those are the only meds I have experience with. They are not stimulants, and his developmental ped described them as 'light' ADHD meds so might not work for everyone. Hope you find something that works for your DS
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is 7-almost-8 and in 2nd grade. We just started Adderall (I think the XR version) at a very low dose on Wednesday. So far I have noticed no major change in his behavior but he seems possibly slightly more irritable/quick-to-anger. We have a follow-up with his pediatrician on Monday and I will let her know that I think it's made him slightly more irritable.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
cody82414
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
My DS is 6 and in Kinder. We started off on guanfacine, at first it made him extremely tired, luckily he was only in half day school, it's only a 4 hour duration so he took it 3 times a day and by 5pm he was falling asleep. It got better, after his body adjusted but he still had ups and downs. Now he's on a clonidine patch, it gets changed weekly. I'm really happy with the medication itself, but keeping the patches on can be challenging. Since he's getting a constant dose theres less ups and downs, and when he takes the patch off I can see the difference in his behaviour pretty quickly.
Those are the only meds I have experience with. They are not stimulants, and his developmental ped described them as 'light' ADHD meds so might not work for everyone. Hope you find something that works for your DS
Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
cody82414
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
My son is 7-almost-8 and in 2nd grade. We just started Adderall (I think the XR version) at a very low dose on Wednesday. So far I have noticed no major change in his behavior but he seems possibly slightly more irritable/quick-to-anger. We have a follow-up with his pediatrician on Monday and I will let her know that I think it's made him slightly more irritable.
Thank you!
My best to you and your son in finding what works best!!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 9 and in third grade. She started taking meds when she was 6. We tried Focalin and Concerta. One of them she couldn't swallow and the other one made her so irritable and angry she would sit in the corner and punch herself. We then tried Vyvanse and it works marvelously for her. She started on 20 mg and is only up to 30mg now. She is a totally different child on it.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My son is 13 and in the 8th grade. He started on meds right before the 1st grade. He started with Adderal and he became moody and emotional, this also happened when theswitched to concerta. The Doc decided he had a mood disorder and put him on Respirdal to. He continued to have side effects and mood swings. They have tried alot of the stimulants including Strattera. There were several more. They tried a non stimulant and took him off the respirdahl because his liver enzymes were outta wack. They gave him topamax which worked well but highered his cholesteral so they stopped it and put him Intuniv. It is know to work very well for kids who are on the ASD. Well his doctor decided Ruben did not have a mood disorder and the stimulants were causeing him to have mood problems. Soon after before he turned 12 he was diagnosed on the ASD. Anyways the Intuniv worked great now that our insurance does not cover it and it is really expensive we are not medicating him and have not been for several months and we did not notice him being unbearable till recently im sure while going through the whole puberty thing he is much more scattered and cannot focus. His As and Bs have turned to Ds and Fs. I think we are going back to the Doctor to try something else.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son will be 10 next month (4th grade) and he has been on Concerta for ~3 years now. He only gets it on days he attends school. It does lower his appetite a bit but no issues with sleeping.

This year he is really struggling though, so I am wondering if we should give another med a try.

He does not have issues with hyperactivity. His main issue is staying focused. He also has a very hard time with math, to the point where I think he may have a math LD. He does great in other subjects though.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
My daughter is 9 and in third grade. She started taking meds when she was 6. We tried Focalin and Concerta. One of them she couldn't swallow and the other one made her so irritable and angry she would sit in the corner and punch herself. We then tried Vyvanse and it works marvelously for her. She started on 20 mg and is only up to 30mg now. She is a totally different child on it.
Have her grades improved as well, or just behaviors?

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter took Metadate CD in 4th & 5th grade (she has ADD, not ADHD). It helped her so much, without any of the side effects. I would HIGHLY recommend it! It is expensive, but I feel that being cheap with ADD/ADHD Medicine is not an option.....*but* another mama on here said how much she loved metadate as well and they just came out with a generic that has been just as good for her child.

I want to say also my daughter's 3rd grade teacher brought her lack of focus/in LaLa land to my attention. I delayed until I got her first progress report in 4th grade, which was pretty bad - C's & D's. I then spoke with new teacher and she said she definitely saw those characteristics in my daughter. Long story short, all three of her teachers had nothing but praise for her newfound focus on the medicine and her grades drastically improved. She stayed on them until this year. I decided to take her off them this school year temporarily to see how she would do, and she is doing so well! I think the medicine helped her learn to focus...to know what it feels like to be on task. Maybe it just set her neurons right, IDK, but I never wanted the medicine to be a permanent fix, or most importantly, a crutch. I never allowed her to say, 'well I have ADD, so cut me some slack'. I told her it wasn't a cure but a helper. I was very hesitant to put her on them, but I see now they aren't as bad as they are made out to be.

*I copied this post (mine) from a similar thread a few weeks back*
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote