Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: What could possibly be wrong with my almost 5 month old???

pooo ok? yes ki would say soy & milk protein ( read labels carefully]. my hubby cousin was told to stay away from dairy but then ate some still as dietician said ok like sherbet has milk in it......

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Soy is super hard to avoid. Make sure you do a lot of label reading. DS is allergic to soy, and it is in EVERYTHING. Make sure for milk that you are avoiding hidden milk. There are a million different words for milk...
http://www.godairyfree.org/dairy-fre...redient-list-2

• Acidophilus Milk
  • Ammonium Caseinate
  • Butter
  • Butter Fat
  • Butter Oil
  • Butter Solids
  • Buttermilk
  • Buttermilk Powder
  • Calcium Caseinate
  • Casein
  • Caseinate (in general)
  • Cheese (All animal-based)
  • Condensed Milk
  • Cottage Cheese
  • Cream
  • Curds
  • Custard
  • Delactosed Whey
  • Demineralized Whey
  • Dry Milk Powder
  • Dry Milk Solids
  • Evaporated Milk
  • Ghee (see p109)
  • Goat Milk
  • Half & Half
  • Hydrolyzed Casein
  • Hydrolyzed Milk Protein
  • Iron Caseinate
  • Lactalbumin
  • Lactoferrin
  • Lactoglobulin
  • Lactose
  • Lactulose
  • Low-Fat Milk
  • Magnesium Caseinate
  • Malted Milk
  • Milk
  • Milk Derivative
  • Milk Fat
  • Milk Powder
  • Milk Protein
  • Milk Solids
  • Natural Butter Flavor
  • Nonfat Milk
  • Nougat
  • Paneer
  • Potassium Caseinate
  • Pudding
  • Recaldent
  • Rennet Casein
  • Skim Milk
  • Sodium Caseinate
  • Sour Cream
  • Sour Milk Solids
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • Sweet Whey
  • Whey
  • Whey Powder
  • Whey Protein Concentrate
  • Whey Protein Hydrolysate
  • Whipped Cream
  • Whipped Topping
  • Whole Milk
  • Yogurt
  • Zinc Caseinate

Potentially Dairy Ingredients

• Artificial or Natural Flavors/Flavoring – These are vague ingredients, which may be derived from a dairy source. A few of particular concern are butter, coconut cream, and egg flavors.
  • Fat Replacers – Brands such as Dairy-Lo® and Simplesse® are made with milk protein.
  • Galactose – This is often a lactose byproduct, but it can also be derived from sugar beets and other gums.
  • High Protein or Protein – Ingredients noted with no further details may be derived from milk proteins (casein or whey). This is particularly true in “High Energy” foods.
  • Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein – The processing phase may use casein, but only trace amounts would likely remain.
  • Lactic Acid Starter Culture – These cultures may be prepared by using milk as an initial growth medium.
  • Lactobacillus – This term is noted often as a probiotic. It is in fact bacteria, not a food byproduct, and is named as such for its ability to convert lactose and other simple sugars to lactic acid. Though often utilized in milk products to create lactic acid, on its own, this ingredient is not always a concern. However, in some cases it may have been cultured or produced on dairy, and thus have the potential to contain trace amounts.
  • Margarine - Milk proteins are in most brands, though not all.
  • Prebiotics – A newcomer on the digestive health scene, these are indigestible carbohydrates. They are quite different from probiotics, which are living microorganisms. Prebiotics, such as galacto-oligosaccharides, lactosucrose, lactulose and lactitol may be derived from milk-based foods.
Rarely Dairy Ingredients

• Calcium or Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate – Stearoyl lactylates are derived from the combination of lactic acid (See any potential concerns with lactic acid below) and stearic acid. They are generally considered non-dairy and safe for the lactose intolerant and milk allergic (again, see below). However, the stearic acid may be animal derived, which could be a concern for vegans.
  • Calcium, Sodium, or Potassium Lactate – Lactates are salts derived from the neutralization of lactic acid, and are rarely a dairy concern. For example, it was noted that the lactate found in one brand of orange juice was made from sugar cane.
  • Caramel Color – Anything with caramel in its title may sound like a dairy red flag, but caramel color is typically derived from corn syrup and occasionally from potatoes, wheat, or other carbohydrate sources. While lactose is a permitted carbohydrate in the production of caramel color, it is rarely, if ever used.
  • Lactic Acid – Lactic acid is created via the fermentation of sugars, and can be found in many dairy-free and/or vegan foods. Most commercially used lactic acid is fermented from carbohydrates, such as cornstarch, potatoes or molasses, and thus dairy-free. Though lactic acid can be fermented from lactose, its use is generally (I said generally; where concerned, always check with the manufacturer) restricted to dairy products, such as ice cream and cream cheese.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I hope you get it worked out! there is definitely more than teething going on here. some may disagree, but i dont personally think teething would cause 6 weeks of constant crying but sleeping issues, eating issues, weight loss. I am sorry you are having a tough time here and hope these other posts will help you!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Thank you everyone. I have a script for Prilosec I'm going to try. I'm also down to bare mimum eating.

What is a reasonable amount of naps and for how long each day for a baby her age? DH thinks I'm trying to make her sleep too much during the day and that's why she isn't sleeping good. But when she's fussy and won't eat etc etc I just always assume she's over stimulated and tired...
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Thank you everyone. I have a script for Prilosec I'm going to try. I'm also down to bare mimum eating.

What is a reasonable amount of naps and for how long each day for a baby her age? DH thinks I'm trying to make her sleep too much during the day and that's why she isn't sleeping good. But when she's fussy and won't eat etc etc I just always assume she's over stimulated and tired...
dd is almost 8 months and still does eat, play, sleep. 3 naps a day. one long, 2 short
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
doodah
Registered Users
seller

For a five month old, I would say three naps a day, maybe two if she was taking long ones like 3 hour naps. at 6 or 8 months, my daycare kids transition to 2 naps. then they transition to one nap sometime between 12 and 18 months, depending on the kid. at five months old, I wouldnt expect most kids to stay awake happily for more than 2 hours at a time
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

That's what I was thinking too.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

At least two naps a day, but, probably three.

Sleep begets sleep...if she's missing out on sleep, it's hard to get back into the groove.

But, to me, it sounds like she's hungry, but for some reason can't or won't eat. I'd try different bottles, (I like the tomee tippee bottles) Heck, at this point, I'd buy her a taco if I thought that would help.

Are you able to pump a lot? I hate to suggest trying a formula if that's not what you want to do, but if that would help, it might be worth a try.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #29
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
I agree, 3 naps is normal for that age.

Sorry this is such a struggle. Keep fighting for answers for your baby. Something is going on with her and she's letting you know the only way she knows how.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #30
aemarques
Registered Users
seller

Before going the formula route I'd try this stuff I saw that helps break down the proteins or lactose or something in the milk making it easier to digest similar to if you had to turn to an easy digesting formula. EDIT its called Colief

I will look up what its called but you pump and then add it to a bottle of your milk. Tommy tippee bottles were the only bottle my dd would take, she was slightly awkward with it at first but still took it.

Last edited by aemarques; 02-17-2013 at 01:03 AM.
aemarques is offline   Reply With Quote