Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is this rotavirus? (This will be gross)

Last night, we went out for tacos, and Jammy barely managed a few mouthfuls of guacamole, which is unusual for her. Just before we left she puked all over the table. We took her home, gave her a bath, water in her bottle instead of milk, and she slept fine (well, fine for her).

Today she ate like a horse, despite my reticence to feed her anything complicated; and then just before bed did a poo that was basically liquid. It seeped out of everything, out the diaper cover, through her longies, all the way down to her socks.

I'm perplexed, because there was basically 24 hours between the initial vomiting and the diarrhoea. I bleached everything I could, her toys, crayons, etc. but I'm so nervous.

The poor kid has had flu, then strep throat, and now this in the span of about 3 weeks.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I would not say rotovirus based on one diarrhea. It is multiple ones, as in 4-6 an hour! My 7yo had it as an 18 month old and got severely dehydrated and hospitalized for 4 days on IV's. they actually have so much diarrhea the usually weigh the diapers.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is this rotavirus? (This will be gross)

I agree with PP. It is LOTS of diarrhea and I would add, it is the most horrendous, awful smell you could ever be exposed to. It sounds like she could have a touch of the regular tummy bug and definitely worth watching.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

It still could be norovirus. Which is the ugly big sister of rotovirus. My son puked for a few days, then started with the diarrhea, then would go 24 hrs with nothing and then puke or have diarrhea again.... Rinse, repeat for THREE weeks.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Has she been on antibiotics or other meds? Her tummy could just be out of whack. We do probiotics around here when the kids get irregular.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

She has been on antibiotics for the strep throat. Thanks for the tip on probiotics. We've got some natural yoghurt in the fridge - will that do?

I was nervous because her poop was just copious brown liquid, and on top of the puking the night before - but she did a normal poo this morning, so I think we're all right.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
jemanly02
Registered Users

If it was rotovirus, you'd know right away from the smell! My brother had it when we were young, and I STILL remember that smell. It's probably from the antibiotics. Yogurt is good, but I'd also pick up some probiotics.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just plain yogurt wont cut it. (if you add sugar to it, you might as well not give it!) You have to get her on a good quality probiotic asap and keep up the dose for 2/3days.

From what you describe, it doesnt seem like rotavirus, but definitely some stomach bug that her body is trying to eliminate.

DS1 caught rota when he was 7mos old. They'll just poop every 2hr or so uncontrollably..like they wont even know they did/will be so wiped out that they wont care. And of course the lingering acidic smell. And they'll lose weight like crazy....all that EBFing blubber he had was gone in 4 days. He never got chubby after that.

So, now Im wiser for it, and whenever either of the kids vomit or have a slightly runny poop, I give them this Lactobacillus ampoule we get here in India called 'Enterogermina.' DS2 MAY have gotten it, but because I always have enterogermina on hand, I havent had to go to a ped for their tummy issues.

Last edited by Bhavana; 02-16-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

And yeah, antibiotics wipe out all the good gut microbes. So probiotics would help boost the number of good microbes/give her immune system a respite.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

That happened to DS when he took antibiotics for pneumonia in January. It was only once though and I'm pretty sure it was caused by the antibiotics.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote