Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
pepsadaisy
Registered Users

Multiple Multiples :)

I have boy/girl twins who are currently 5 months. I'm on the fence as to whether I want more kids, but am curious how many moms of multiples have more than one set? I wouldn't mind another boy/girl set *LOL* even though I'm not in any hurry to relive the nightmares of my twin pregnancy

Advertisement

pepsadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I do know we have at least one other mom of multiple multiples. She has two sets of twins, but they are the result of fertility treatments. IVF if I recall correctly.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My friend has 3 sets of twins all boys
All fraternal
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
pepsadaisy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
My friend has 3 sets of twins all boys All fraternal
Omg!! 3 sets?! Were they all natural?
pepsadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #5
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Multiple Multiples :)

This is DH fear too! We have a 6 year old singleton then 5 month old identical twin girls. I know i want one more but DH is very afraid of another set of twins. We love our girls but the pregnancy was miserable and the first 3 months were very hard!!! I am not too worried about twins again, if it happens, it happens but I would love another singleton.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsadaisy
Omg!! 3 sets?! Were they all natural?
Yes!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also have a friend who had 3 sets of twins all natural. b/b, g/g, g/g. Then she had a singleton and felt odd to her so had another right away.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
~Meg~
Registered Users
seller

I have two sets of twins. First set is B/G so obviously fraternal. Second set is G/G, they couldn't determine for certain their zygosity from the placenta. They do have the same blood type but look different enough to me that I think they are fraternal. We'll do the cheek swab DNA test eventually, just haven't gotten around to it. First set was conceived on the lowest dose of Clomid. Second set was spontaneous. (If they turn out to be fraternal I will really be freaked out about having twins a third time.) For what it's worth, there is only a maternal genetic component with fraternal twins. There is no connection between maternal genetics and identical twins.
Bea & Maggie (09/13)

Yep, we have 2 sets of twins!
~Meg~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis514 View Post
This is DH fear too! We have a 6 year old singleton then 5 month old identical twin girls. I know i want one more but DH is very afraid of another set of twins. We love our girls but the pregnancy was miserable and the first 3 months were very hard!!! I am not too worried about twins again, if it happens, it happens but I would love another singleton.
Us too. I know DP wants to have one more, & we still have embryos, but I don't think I could do this again. We could do SET, but it's expensive & still carries a risk of twinning...not to mention our RE's protocol for older women (DP & I both are) is to transfer two & sometimes three embies, so a good chance of twins. My pregnancy was pretty good, but I never want to do it again.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP - I have two sets of twins. One is b/g and one is b/b. Both frats. I was pregnant with a third set who were to be ID b/b. I lost one. My frat sets are IVF. ID's are not caused by IVF even if you do have IVF...well, there is one procedure that can up the risk, but I did not have that.

The second set is much easier than the first set. You've already learned how to handle two babies at once. For me, it wasn't a big deal...except that my first set was only 27 months and I had a 4 year old also when my second set was born. It was a bit crazy at first. LOL!

I always say that I have a b/g set, a b/b set and now I need a g/g set to "complete my collection and have one of each type." I'd be totally fine with a third set of twins.

Even though my second set of twins was easier, my second twin pregnancy was harder. So there is that. But, it is so worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
I do know we have at least one other mom of multiple multiples. She has two sets of twins, but they are the result of fertility treatments. IVF if I recall correctly.
*raises hand* I'm assuming you are probably talking about me. Yup, 2 sets, both IVF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis514 View Post
ID's are not genetic. You have no higher chance of twins a second time than anyone else does a first time. Spontaneous frats does raise your risk. ID's don't. Have more kids. You could have twins, but you have a much higher chance for a single.