Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

I am wanting to stop using soap, shampoo, and lotion (except for hand soap). My family has insanely sensitive skin, and I'm tired of constantly trying new things in hope they will work.

I need a shampoo alternative that will allow me to only shower 2-3 times a week as I don't have time for more than that, as well as something that will be kind to my long hair that mats very easily. A conditioner alternative would be great, too. I plan on using coconut oil instead of lotion, but ideas for the others would be great!

Advertisement

Last edited by lensesforeyes; 03-12-2013 at 07:05 PM.
lensesforeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Affordable soap/shampoo alternatives?

Have you tried baking soda to wash and apple cider vinegar to condition? the transition is a bit rough, but it really works!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I tried the baking soda instead of shampoo thing, and it did not work at all for me so I stick with regular shampoo. But the ACV instead of conditioner works awesome. Hair is so individualized that it is hard to say what will work for you, but it can't hurt to give it a shot. There are a number of different brands of shampoo bars (like a bar of soap, but for your hair). Tried that too and it didn't work for me. I don't know of anything else that cleans hair without being shampoo.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Baking soda and acv work great for me!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wonder if it might help if you state why you want to stop using these things. Are you wanting thriftier options than you currently have? (Some moms here might have thrifty brands to recommend.) Are you wanting greener options than you currently have? (Some of us have brands we might recommend for that too.) Are you simply wanting to make your own (that is a bit dicey b/c of the water content in these products w/o a lot of cosmetic training to make sure they aren't breeding bacteria).

The only alternative I have heard for hair is the BS/ACV thing. I have a very cold bathroom in which stopping to let something set is not an option and am sensitive to the cheap BS and very sensitive to the ACV smell. So I have not tried that. There are also soap bars; they tend to be even more expensive than shampoos and are horrible for my hair. Experimenting with this stuff in itself can get very expensive....

For lotion I have been trying coconut oil and coconut oil blended with other oils. Nothing beats the convenience and feel of a lotion sometimes. I don't especially like sitting around waiting for a oil to sink in before I dress.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote