Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I HATE this #&*^$% washer!!!!

This is more of a rant than anything but if anyone has any profound insight, I'm listening. I got my front loader when my last baby was about a year old and I didn't see what all the fuss was about. I didn't have too much trouble getting my CD's clean and there was no problem.

Fast forward six years, I have a new husband, three new stepsons (for a total of five boys!), and a surprise baby. For months now, I've been telling DH how awesome CDs are and he's totally on board. I, on the other hand, am about to pull my hair out.

Erica's EBF and has mostly liquid poop with the occasional bit of peanut butter. I dunk-n-swish the poopies as soon as they happen. Every night, I run the "soak" cycle on the washer. Every 2-3 days, I do a hot wash with the bleach and extra rinse options (I don't actually use bleach, that just gives it an extra extra rinse...I think), then a cold wash with extra rinse. Then I check the diapers and guess what? Half of them still have poop visible on them. A few more still smell very much like poop! If there are enough clean ones, I go ahead and throw those in the dryer so I have something to put on her while I run another wash or two on the ones that are still stinky. Sometimes I pour an extra gallon or two of water in the washer. Did I mention the dryer smells like poop all the time, even when we take our CLOTHES out of it!??!?

DH does most of the laundry since I have to do so much of Erica's care (breast baby) but I'm embarrassed to let him in the laundry room right now because he might find out. I'm terrified to get the water bill this month too. He commented the other day that it seems like the washer is running constantly these days and yet the dirty clothes are still piled up.

Personally, I prefer PFs and wool but he likes AIOs better. Every time I've put a PF on her, we've had major blowouts so I'm compromising and giving him pockets stuffed with PFs during the day and using "quick-dry" fitteds at night. Those fitteds with the snake style soakers seem to get cleaner than, say, a thick fitted or AIO so that's something, but all those little wrinkles where the elastic gathers? A couple of times I've actually stretched a diaper out and scrubbed in there with a toothbrush after running it through multiple washes without getting it clean! And the PFs still smell like poop after several washes sometimes.

He's putting in a diaper sprayer today so hopefully that will help get the diapers cleaner before they go into the wash. If not, I don't know what I'm going to do! I hate disposables with a passion and I've put so much into buying and making diapers and woolies that I don't want to give up but I'm going crazy here!!! AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I HATE this #&*^$% washer!!!!

i dont know if you have considered flats at all but they are RIDICULOUSLY easy to clean, so much so that i handwash 1/2 the time! i feel like i have over complicated cloth diapering in the past and keeping it simple is best. I have some pockets just to have but i even got rid of so many of those because for me at least a flat padfolded and placed in a flip or diaper rite cover is easy peasy.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What kind of washer do you have? What soap do you use Nd how much?

Nothing about what you discribed sounds normal. Theres no reason your diapers should be coming out of the washer with poop still on them....especially breastmilk poop :/

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, yeah that's not normal. I think anyone would be frustrated with that. I have a front loader and I just do a quick rinse and spin (because we don't have a diaper sprayer and I don't swish, just plop), then a heavy duty wash with an extra rinse. I use Tide, or whatever I bought for our laundry. Do you have hard or soft water? We have normal water (not too hard or soft) which is probably why it's so easy for me...
Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well I've been there until today...

I have a front loader and lately it sucked. Then started telling me it wasn't draining. Youtubed a bit and then took off the front bottom flap thing(real techy huh) and there was a twist turn pvc pipe, I opened it and inside I found a boobiepad, barbies pants, TONS of hair, mold lots of change and just crap. anyways. It smelled really bad, I cleaned it all up and its draining and washing MUCH better. Maybe try that? Might not be draining the gunk out. Mine wasn't!

I have a 5 yo whirpool duet. Hth!

Ignore typos...probably nursing, typing with one finger on my left hand while wrangling two toddlers. yeah, I'm that good.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
mamajoe
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelinoad View Post

I have a front loader and lately it sucked. Then started telling me it wasn't draining. Youtubed a bit and then took off the front bottom flap thing(real techy huh) and there was a twist turn pvc pipe, I opened it and inside I found a boobiepad, barbies pants, TONS of hair, mold lots of change and just crap. anyways. It smelled really bad, I cleaned it all up and its draining and washing MUCH better. Maybe try that? Might not be draining the gunk out. Mine wasn't!

Ignore typos...probably nursing, typing with one finger on my left hand while wrangling two toddlers. yeah, I'm that good.
This!! I had a whirlpoo duet and hated it!! It never seemed to clean a thing. Then started making a funny noise so i called the warrenty guy and he cleaned the "drain pump" (the "thing" above) turns out our well water had magnesium nd it was full of lint and gunk. He told me i would need to clean it about once a month (it was easy, but a pain). We moved about a year later andi happily left the washer behind, lol. Its a common problem with the duet series.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

There is something wrong with the washer. It probably isn't getting your clothes clean, either, but that is just less obvious than poop. I would try cleaning the drain as described above, have a serviceman out if that does not fix it, and then get a new washer if that still doesn't fix it. If a washer can't get prefolds clean of EBF poo, as water-soluble as that it, then it isn't getting anything else clean, either.

I would also use flats in your covers and pockets in the meantime.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree with trying to clean the trap out. I also suspect the diaper sprayer will really help you. None of this seems right at all. Also, what detergent are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

what part did you take off?! we have been having draining issues as well with our he fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelinoad View Post

Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
mamajoe
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+ View Post
what part did you take off?! we have been having draining issues as well with our he fl.
I only know about the duet specifically ... But just google "duet drain pump filter" and there are some youtube videos as well as some other pages on how to do it. Basically you take the very bottom panel off (nut driver needed) and then on the right hand side you'll see a white pump thing with a large (like 2" round) cap that comes off. Two tips - make sure you stabalize the pump that the cap is attached to since ours was looe-ish and seemed like i could snap it off. And 2 make sure to put some kind of dish under the drain because a bunch of water will come out! I *think* the cap turns opposite normal (but i can't remember for sure). Your owners manual might have info too. Hth!