Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Like most kids, dd pees upon waking. Not immediately, but she wakes up crying and needing to pee, but when I ask her if she wants to go, she cries no and wants me to put her back to sleep. I get it, kid, I want my sleep too, but it seems to be our stumbling block. Night wakings = pee time, but she just won't go. If I try to take her after she wakes, she clings to me and screams and won't go and has an accident on a cloth diaper pad after we lay her backdown. - she loves her potty, usually. Thoughts on getting her to go upon waking? I go too, to show that's what you do when you wake up, but she's just so upset about waking up...

Advertisement

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!

Last edited by Sarawithouth; 02-14-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
WinterBaby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Unwillingness to go after waking

How long has she been potty trained? I found that this has improved over time for my DD. also, I take her to pee before I go to bed, which helps because she is not fully awake. I take down her PJs while she's still in bed, and then lift her onto the little potty, which I put near her bed, without saying anything. She goes, and then I redress her and put her back in bed. She oftens wakes again about 4:30 or 5:00 am to pee, so I do the same routine without talking, just putting her on and right back to bed. Don't know your whole situation but thought I'd post in case there's anything helpful on this.
WinterBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterBaby View Post
How long has she been potty trained? I found that this has improved over time for my DD. also, I take her to pee before I go to bed, which helps because she is not fully awake. I take down her PJs while she's still in bed, and then lift her onto the little potty, which I put near her bed, without saying anything. She goes, and then I redress her and put her back in bed. She oftens wakes again about 4:30 or 5:00 am to pee, so I do the same routine without talking, just putting her on and right back to bed. Don't know your whole situation but thought I'd post in case there's anything helpful on this.
I agree. Are you taking her to the bathroom? If so, you will need to keep it more low-keyed and just have the potty or even a wide-rimmed container by the side of her bed. Don't ask her if she needs to do, just hold her up, pull down the pants, and say, "Go pee" while letting her drape over your arm and having the container under her. Re-dress her and put her back in bed. It will get better and easier in time!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for your insight! I will try that.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

No experience here, just a guess; is she cold when you take her jammies, diaper/trainers off? Is there a way to heat her room nice and toasty just before you get her up to pee? Just a thought. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoethink
No experience here, just a guess; is she cold when you take her jammies, diaper/trainers off? Is there a way to heat her room nice and toasty just before you get her up to pee? Just a thought. Good luck!
Good guess. But no, we live in Houston where it was 90 degrees last week and 70 degrees this week. She wakes from naps crying before I even get to her. It's the moving to the potty that really super upsets her.

Tonight she's in just a prefold, no cover. I'm going to try placing her on the potty stealthily when she wakes.... Finger crossed.

Sunny due in October!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

My lo does the same thing. Curious what else others have to say.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

When we were training my son we found that he really just didn't need/want to go. He can hold it all night... Which was a huge shock to me because up until training we would have flooded diapers every morning. At first there were a few accidents (maybe twice a week for less than a month) then after that maybe once a month, he has been nighttime accident free for 4/5months... Amazing to me, especially considering he still has the occasional daytime accident. But maybe she just doesn't need to go?
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
WinterBaby
Registered Users
seller

You can also try taking her to pee during the night (before you go to bed) rather than waiting for her to wake up. This way she will be more asleep and less resistant. I'm not sure if you also have this issue in the morning, but in the morning, I actually wait about 10-15 minutes or until after DD has had her milk before I take off her diaper and bring her to the potty because if I do it right when she wakes up she resists. In the morning, sometimes I will just take off her diaper and wait for her to say she has to pee.
WinterBaby is offline   Reply With Quote