Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ack!!! WWYD?

I've never heard of anything like that. I thought kids were only restricted from certain wards (and even then if family are allowed) why would be an issue at an out patient appt?

I just had one and brought my kids, no one said a peep. (what can they say really?)

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would call and ask. DS has an endoscopy tomorrow morning and we were told no one under age 18 is allowed in the building unless they are patients, and that it is strictly enforced. It is due to flu outbreaks.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I would just take him.

I remember when I was pregnant w/my dd and had an US done at an independent US place they said they couldnt have anyone under 14 in the rooms because of the flu.
It had nothing to do w/kids misbehaving or anything like that.

I think they did end up letting him in anyway to watch the US though. he was 7 at the time.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I would call and ask. DS has an endoscopy tomorrow morning and we were told no one under age 18 is allowed in the building unless they are patients, and that it is strictly enforced. It is due to flu outbreaks.
The problem is if I call them on a Sunday they have the third string on and I only hear blanket statements. In practice though what you see can be completely different. Also because I am in a high risk pregnancy, had I known that it was at the hospital I wouldn't have scheduled it when I did. This ultrasound needs to be done sometime between now and mid April. It isn't urgent. I would rather my son stay with me so I know he isn't around communicable ill people because if he gets sick, I will too. That is the LAST thing I need. So I would rather schedule when I can bring him with me.

I understand that the hospital needs to be safe, but honestly my son isn't sick. I have taken every precaution to make sure he stays that way. We are not even doing things socially with other children because I am afraid of him being sick. To me I am on my "cancer lockdown" that I was on when I had my lymphoma. I had no immune system then and I never got sick and neither did DS who was 15 months old when I was diagnosed right before Christmas that year.

Oh and my appointment is at 8:30 am and it is currently taking me 2 hours to get down there because of the insane traffic and road construction. So I can't call tomorrow morning.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would take him. Tomorrow is a holiday so there will probably be alot more kids around since schools are closed. To bad you can't find some teenager to sit in the car with him if need be.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have no doubt he isn't sick, and heck, you are just as likely to get flu from an adult as a kid. It is a stupid policy. I just was trying to warn you so that if you show up, and walk through the door, the information desk doesn't turn you away. We were told they absolutely will not let them in the building at the hospital we are going to tomorrow.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-17-2013 at 06:30 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If it really is at the hospital, there is normally no one at the info desk. I may also grab a mask for him on my way through. I have also noticed that if you look like you know where you are going then most of the time people don't bother you.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GL! Hopefully you'll be fine and get through no problems.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Update! Went and came back and all is fine. Ultrasound was uneventful so I think I will not be hearing from my doctor either. Got to see my new son and he was dancing in there or something. He was having fun!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I'm glad it went well. I totally get that you say he's not sick, but soo many people say that. Not to mention incubation time before symptoms show.

Also, certainly you can get sick from an adult, but kids are walking germ factories. They have little to no hygiene practices down and spread germs like crazy. So I certainly understand the no kids rules.