Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Incorrect address in paypal - how to handle reshipping?

Updating:
I contacted paypal about the situation, and they have been of absolutely no help. I will not have any seller's protection without proof of delivery, regardless of the fact that I sent the package to the buyer's paypal address and do have proof of that. The only way I get any protection is with an actual confirmation of delivery. They "recommend" requesting additional funds from the buyer to cover the reshipping. But, according to their policy, if the buyer refuses to pay for the second shipping, it is me who is on the hook :-(

Edited to clarify: I do have a delivery confirmation number for the package, and you can see that I sent it and that the post office tried to delivery to the address on her paypal account. However, I do not have "proof of delivery" because the post office had no way to deliver the package, and neither the post office nor I had any record of her correct address (or the fact that her address in paypal was incorrect.) The purchase of delivery confirmation service in and of itself is not sufficient to provide seller's protection - the post office must successfully deliver the package and indicate it as such in the delivery confirmation record to provide seller's protection.

I have explained the situation to the buyer. She gave me her correct address and said she would look into her paypal account. I haven't explicitly asked her to pay for the second round of shipping, nor has she offered to do so.

I'm going into my post office tomorrow to see if they will resend with the original label if I manually correct it. If not, I will directly ask for the additional postage.

The worst part is that this transaction was a FFS, so if I end up having to pay for the reshipping, I will have lost money to give something away for free :-(

I just find the whole thing really frustrating, particularly with the fact that paypal holds the seller responsible for the buyer providing the correct address and in no way holds the buyer responsible for having their information in the system correctly.

I guess at least I'm learning this lesson on a very small transaction...

Original Post:
If they buyer's address is not correct in paypal, so the item gets returned to the sender, what happens from there? The funds to cover the shipping have already been spent (to pay for the first failed shipping, I mean), so who would cover it a second time?

Advertisement

Last edited by klevmomma; 02-15-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: to clarify
klevmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Incorrect address in paypal - how to handle reshipping?

The buyer pays for shipping because it was their fault they didn't have their addy correct in the payment sent.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

The buyer
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

The buyer. There is no way for the seller to know that the buyer had not updated or put in an incorrect address.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

if it gets back to you, your buyer will have to pay to have it shipped again to her correct address, there is no way for you to know that she had moved and not updated her address
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with the others. The buyer should def pay to reship.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

bump for update
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ugh I hate that, its blatantly obvious to all of us that it was the buyers mistake, makes no sense that pp would side with them. But I had it happen to me before with a very expensive item, it never did come back to me so someone claimed it, but the buyer claimed they never received it and the address was wrong, pp sided with them. Lost my item and my $$. :/
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
SillyLily
Registered Users
seller
seller

PayPal ALWAYS requires items to be shipped with delivery confirmation. If you had, they would be siding with you and not her in this situation. In fact, if you choose to re-ship the item to her with delivery confirmation and you ship it to an address different than the one provided by PayPal, then PayPal would still side with her if she filed another claim (if the item arrives at the new address, she could still open an item not received claim and win).
Like to travel? Travel deals referral link.
SillyLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

You don't have dc?
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote