Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
SewingKitty
Registered Users

My 22 month old won't touch the potty chair

We're trying to train our 22 month old. She understands where the potty is, will use the potty sign when we go, and last night when I was giving her some diaper free time and she was standing on the toilet seat, she started saying, "poo-poo, poo-poo" before she actually started to pee. So it looks like everything is set and ready to go. But she absolutely refuses to sit on the potty seat bare bottomed! When she started to pee last night I told her that pee goes in the potty and picked her up to set her on it, but she completely freaked out! I have no idea how to get to sit on it bare bottomed. She will sit just fine if her diaper is on.

Advertisement

SewingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 22 month old won't touch the potty chair

Gotta remove the diapers altogether, I think. I've never had that problem, but if you make it a big deal like, "Today, we're going to throw all our diapers away!" and then toss them in a bag she might get it. Then she has no other option but to learn to use the potty. I think it's completely normal for a toddler to throw a fit and give the run around. Maybe some other mamas have had this problem and can give you better advice. Might help to check out this book: Oh Crap Potty Training at www.jamieglowacki.com
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
MrsSaraT
Registered Users
seller

My son refused to sit on the potty too at that age. He liked it for about two weeks when he was about 19 months, but then he refused to ever sit on it. It wasn't until five days ago that he was willing to sit on it again, and he is now 2.5 years old. Once he decided he was okay with sitting on it, it has been amazing. We have only had one accident since that day. He just goes in and pees all by himself. We just caught his first poo tonight. He usually poops once in the morning when his night diaper is still on.

Personally I would be afraid to take diapers away completely if she won't sit on the potty. I'd just wait until she is willing to at least sit on it once. I don't know what is best, but I waited until he would at least sit on it, and it ended in great success for us.
MrsSaraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
MrsSaraT
Registered Users
seller

My son refused to sit on the potty too at that age. He liked it for about two weeks when he was about 19 months, but then he refused to ever sit on it. It wasn't until five days ago that he was willing to sit on it again, and he is now 2.5 years old. Once he decided he was okay with sitting on it, it has been amazing. We have only had one accident since that day. He just goes in and pees all by himself. We just caught his first poo tonight. He usually poops once in the morning when his night diaper is still on.

Personally I would be afraid to take diapers away completely if she won't sit on the potty. I'd just wait until she is willing to at least sit on it once. I don't know what is best, but I waited until he would at least sit on it, and it ended in great success for us.
MrsSaraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
wforenberry
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm having the same problem with my 22 month old boy, its like he's scared of it. I will be looking for answers to this problem too!
wforenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
ChaoticDreams33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 19 mo old son is the same way! A friend of mine had some success with her daughter sitting on it during a special TV show or while reading a special book. We haven't had success with that yet, but we will keep trying
ChaoticDreams33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
blessed1018
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just read the No Cry Potty Training book. They suggested for this issue to cut the crotch out of a diaper and have them use that to sit on the potty. Then the pee goes in the toilet and they still feel like they have on a diaper. Then you slowly wean them off that once they see the idea of "pee goes in the potty" and how that works.

I have not tried this yet - so no personal experience with the method. My son is not showing signs of readiness (26 months) so I am not going to push the issue.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One thing I learned from trying to potty train my first and listening to all the advise is that all it led to was over a year of frustration on everyone part.

As soon as we went with the flow and did not pressure/push he potty trained in a couple days. He was ready.

Making her sit on the potty is only going to cause more problems. If it were me I would go back to diapers and revisit in a few weeks.

I would not take away the diapers.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't sound like your DD is ready for the potty yet. I would continue to talk about going potty, using it, but from my experience, it's best to just let them potty when they are ready.

Unless you can easily read HER potty signs, rush her to the potty before she relieves herself (Late Elimination Communication), then you really have to let her lead you. In my experience, rushing can only lead to set-backs.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

tons of books or advice that I've read say that it's great to allow them to sit on the potty in a diaper to pee and poop. It helps them get comfortable with the whole sitting and eliminating process.

don't worry - you will eventually be able to remove the diaper. but getting them to recognize that the poop and pee goes into that particular space is half the battle. so, you're ahead of me by a long shot!