Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
mom2oak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
alva vs sunbaby and fav insert?

I have twin girls and need more diapers. I was wanting to try alva or sunbaby because of affordability and not sure which is best. My girls are 2 months and allready 11.5 pounds or so. So bigger than avg. I also don't like how mf gets stinky easy so what is your best insert for keeping dry without the funk? TIA

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would actually look into diaper safari covers or pockets rather than Sunbaby or alvas.

They have great reviews (I have some on the way to me right now- but my friends love the pockets & covers made by diaper safari) & right now there are but 1 get 1 free!!! On diapersafari.com

If I had to choose I would go with sun baby over alvas. Sun baby has that little extra PUL on he inside of the tummy like bg's do. Also the Sunbaby is trimmer than the alvas.

To stuff we use flats and organic cotton flip inserts (now known as their nighttime insert).
I have also just ordered the new organic cotton flip daytime insert which is like a flat but supposed to be very absorbent.

Congrats on ur babies
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
mom2oak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do u like the pocket or covers of the diaper safari better? Are the covera similar to bg flip?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2oak
Do u like the pocket or covers of the diaper safari better? Are the covera similar to bg flip?
I have not actually tried either one (pockets or covers) of the diaper safari brand. I have some on the way to me now. I have several friends who love them & many of the mamas on here do too that is why I suggested them.

I really love flips and from what I have read/heard the covers are nice and trim & they have a back elastic thing in the inside if the diaper to hold the insert in place & they are very trim. I also hear moms who really love flips once they try these covers they just love them so much they switch to all diaper safari covers.

The pockets I have read/heard have a opening in the front & the back, & they agitate out in the wash. & the inside is super soft & they are also very trim.

I think since you have twins if I were you I would do mainly inserts and covers because there is less stuffing, & way less room in your diaper bag than pockets. Also when you are out with your girls a wetbag will fill up so much quicker with pockets.

Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Yes, plenty of affordable options other than Alvas, prefolds or flats in one size covers will spare you stuffing so many pockets with twins, and you will get more changes out of covers that can be reused than you get from pockets. Diaper Safari (from nicki's diapers, and their Imagine line) seem to be all the rage lately, I think diaper rite (from Diaper Junction) is also very reasonably priced without your money going to support Alva or the like.

Oh, and GroVia just introduced a package of 6 bamboo prefolds and three covers for less than $90, considering the rave reviews those prefolds are getting and the stellar customer service and warranty, that's a great price for a system to help round out your stash. At your girls' size I would get size 2 prefolds, lots of longevity in them!

Last edited by RockinLou; 02-17-2013 at 04:28 PM.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2oak
We like both. I actually like it better than Flips because the inside flaps are better to hold down a prefold,
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2oak View Post
I don't have any of their pockets (yet), but I really like their covers! IMO they are way better than flips. The flaps are a lot better at holding the insert in place. I am not a flips fan though, so that may be why. I just wish they came in velcro.
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: alva vs sunbaby and fav insert?

We have a few Sunbabies and I like them (have not tried Alva) I use them on a decent rotation (hubby uses them while I use the prefolds/fitted and covers. As far as inserts I can't stand the ones they came with is I use infant prefold trifolded and they work great.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
mom2oak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just got my diaper safari pockets and covers and I Love them! Thank you for the suggestion. I am waiting on some sunbabies in the mail also. Can't wait to see them!