Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Sassybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Increasing milk production

BigSamsMom, I know what you mean about getting that feeling of being "the most inadequate person on the planet" when trying to breastfeed. Been there! I'm trying to prepare myself better this time so it helps to have the expectation that that little one will be strapped to the boob for the first few days. That way it won't be so much of a shock (mentally and physically).

I had not heard about oatmeal increasing milk production. Thanks for the tip. I would have never even thought to research that option. Loving the helpfulness of this group!

Advertisement

Sassybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I struggled with low supply with my last 3 kiddos, thankfully I was able to continue exclusively nursing with the use of domperidone.

I have not personally tried this tea, but someone shared the link with me and it might be worth checking out.......http://www.golacta.com/

There is some fantastic advice in this thread! Good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybottoms View Post
BigSamsMom, I know what you mean about getting that feeling of being "the most inadequate person on the planet" when trying to breastfeed. Been there! I'm trying to prepare myself better this time so it helps to have the expectation that that little one will be strapped to the boob for the first few days. That way it won't be so much of a shock (mentally and physically).

I had not heard about oatmeal increasing milk production. Thanks for the tip. I would have never even thought to research that option. Loving the helpfulness of this group!
I completely understand. Check this page out: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/mm/article-diet.aspx
It is the most complete list of galactogogues I've found.
Oatmeal is wonderful. I cook up nearly a whole container of steel cut oats in my crockpot, and freeze it already cooked in muffin tins, pop them out and store in a ziploc. Makes it easy to have a quick bowl in the early days.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #14
finleyjudemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSamsMom

I completely understand. Check this page out: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/mm/article-diet.aspx
It is the most complete list of galactogogues I've found.
Oatmeal is wonderful. I cook up nearly a whole container of steel cut oats in my crockpot, and freeze it already cooked in muffin tins, pop them out and store in a ziploc. Makes it easy to have a quick bowl in the early days.
What recipe do you use?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
jcook111
Registered Users
seller

I use Domperidone (not FDA approved in the US, but your OB/midwife can write a prescription for it and you can get it at a compounding pharmacy). It doubled my milk supply! (from 3 oz to 6 oz).

Also, I haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna....I have been researching raw milk (for homemade baby formula), and it turns out that some women have been successful increasing their milk supply simply by drinking raw milk. I found that interesting!
jcook111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
viluc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had this problem has well, I am barley getting 3 oz from each breast when pumping. What our problem was the latching on. We both had to learn, I need to know how to place her and not to just put her on the breast when she opened her mouth but when she had her mouth wide enough(like when we eat a hamburger). She need to learn how to open her mouth properly. Another thing you can do is go to your local Baby Cafe or WIC and get help. This is a resource that is FREE and is very helpful. I got help from both and told me what I was doing wrong and how to correct it. Also I found out you need to be careful on your diet, this effects your milk supply as well. Here is what I eat everyday or try to: 6+ Grains / 4+ Vegetables / 3+ Fruits / 2+ Nuts, Legumes / 1+ Fish, Eggs, Poultry / 2+ Dairy, Calcium / 2 a week Meat and your prenatal vitamins everyday. Try to eat at least one of each category but I try to eat at least all. Also I can recommend this book someone recommended me, its all about breastfeeding (Mother Food: A Breastfeeding Diet Guide with Lactogenic Foods and Herbs - Build Milk Supply, Boost Immunity, Lift Depression, Detox, Lose Weight, Optimize a Baby's IQ, and Reduce Colic and Allergies by Hilary Jacobson) Good Luck!
viluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
birdinhand
Registered Users

Most breastfeeding experts agree your food intake does not affect supply. Malnourished women in impoverished nations can fully feed their babies. What we find about prescribing certain foods to eat and certain foods to avoid (because they make you baby gassy or whatever) is the more we tell moms what they can and can't do, the less they choose to breastfeed, or the less time they choose to breastfeed.

Quote:
Do I need to maintain a perfect diet while breastfeeding?

The short answer to this question is NO – you do not need to maintain a perfect diet in order to provide quality milk for your baby. In fact, research tells us that the quality of a mother’s diet has little influence on her milk. Nature is very forgiving – mother’s milk is designed to provide for and protect baby even in times of hardship and famine. A poor diet is more likely to affect the mother than her breastfed baby.
From: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

Also helpful: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-foods/

Last edited by birdinhand; 02-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by finleyjudemommy View Post
What recipe do you use?
I follow the cooking instructions on the box for water to oats ratio. Then I just throw in stuff that sounds good: Brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, raisins, cranberries, ground flaxseed, etc. I cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote