Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:
Purging the playroom

I am starting to go through our house to really minimize our stuff down to necessity. First, we need to purge the playroom. Currently it is a converted a 1 car garage, so it's a decent size. There is a large fireplace, a pull out couch and coffee table that stores DVDs and extra blanket. The couch and fireplace must stay because DH uses the projector and screen to watch football in there. So here's my question: What do I get rid of? Here's a basic list of what is in there.

- Play kitchen with tons of food, utensils and stuff for place settings. How do you store this type of stuff?
- Train table with 2 buckets, 1 of trains and the other of pieces- my kids don't really use this but I love the idea of them having it.
- Bookshelf, the bottom shelf has books. How many do they really need? I am a teacher so I have hoards of books for them, but keep a selection of "special" books separate. The top shelf has a pretend computer screen and keyboard.
- Cubbies- there are about 9 or 12 and they hold sets of toys like transformers, blocks, cars, dinosaurs, puppets, etc.
- A bin of musical toys
- A bin of costumes and make believe stuff
- A rug with streets for racing cars, they don't play with this often
- A large toy box for stuffies and random toys
- A rocking horse
- 3 ride on toys, a transformer truck, motorcycle and a bike

I should add that they keep most of their toys in this room. They each have a bin in their room for special toys, however they do not play in their rooms.

Advertisement

wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Purging the playroom

Is there anything they don't play with?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Our boys have a play grill instead of a kitchen, and we only keep what fits inside the bottom storage part. Does your kitchen have an oven, micro and fridge? I'd limit the food to what fits in the kitchen.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Like the PP, I'd keep the food that fits in the kitchen. I get that you like the kids to have the train table and car rug, but if it doesn't get used, get rid of it. I had some really cool toys for my kids that I thought they'd love. They never got played with so I donated it all. My kids have a small amount of toys but it's stuff that gets played with every day.
I'd start by getting rid of things not used weekly, things that are broken or missing pieces and toys you don't like. Then either pare down the variety of toys or pare down to a small amount of several different types of toys.
When I purge, it really helps to move it all to a different room. After going through it, bring the things you think you want to keep into the living room. Go through it again, encourage your kids to get rid of things, even if it's not something you'd get rid of. Then put it back. I find this method to made me take a harder look at each item.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

- Play kitchen with tons of food, utensils and stuff for place settings. How do you store this type of stuff? Find one small clear shoe-box type and keep only what fits. 4 bowls, 4 spoons, 4 forks, and some food - mostly fruits and veggies, and stuff that they recognize and eat regularly
- Train table with 2 buckets, 1 of trains and the other of pieces- my kids don't really use this but I love the idea of them having it. You can purge, or keep for now and see if they play with it more when you get rid of others
- Bookshelf, the bottom shelf has books. How many do they really need? I am a teacher so I have hoards of books for them, but keep a selection of "special" books separate. The top shelf has a pretend computer screen and keyboard. I would ditch the computer, and cut the books by half, I'd say about 2 feet worth of books. A few extras can be saved in a box somewhere to go through later
- Cubbies- there are about 9 or 12 and they hold sets of toys like transformers, blocks, cars, dinosaurs, puppets, etc. If these are overwhelming, then cut some of the collections by half. Do you have 40 hotwheels? You could probably do with 15. Get rid of the biggest dinosaurs and combine the rest with a smaller set of animals (as an example). Do the kids play with the blocks? I found I had too many mismatched sets of blocks, so I ditched the smaller colored blocks and kept the chunky natural wood ones.
- A bin of musical toys keep
- A bin of costumes and make believe stuff Try clearing out 1/3 of this stuff. Can one sheet of fabric replace a cape, dress, skirt, ghost, flag, fort cover etc
- A rug with streets for racing cars, they don't play with this often Then purge it, I have one too that my kids don't play with.
- A large toy box for stuffies and random toys
- A rocking horse
- 3 ride on toys, a transformer truck, motorcycle and a bike Are these just for the younger 2?
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote