Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

A few questions about woven wraps

Girasol or didymos? I'd like to be able to try out different carries, this will be my first woven wrap. I'm about 5'8" and normally around 130lbs, although after birth I expect to be around 150-160lbs.

Thanks for any suggestions!

eta~ Do plain wraps typically function better than patterned ones?

Advertisement

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 02-18-2013 at 08:53 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Woven wraps~ 4.2 vs 4.6~ big difference?

if you get a wrap with some stretch (even wovens have some stretch depending on the weave and threads used) and long tapers, you can usually do more wraps with a shorter wrap. if it's a stiffer wrap with blunt edges or short tapers, you have less room to play and need a longer wrap. i recommend a 100% cotton didymos or girasol for a beginner wrapper. girasols wrap nicely and are pretty, but they aren't as supportive. most of the cotton didys wrap nicely and are grippy and very supportive. the plainer, cheaper cotton didys wrap like a dream, IMO....go for lisca or jack.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
threelittlehoneys
seller
seller

Re: Woven wraps~ 4.2 vs 4.6~ big difference?

So the patterned didymos wraps aren't as sturdy/easy to use?

I was looking at girasols because they are so pretty, but if I have kids who get heavy fast, it's safer to get a didymos?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
dilya6722
Registered Users

Re: A few questions about woven wraps

I'd say get any pattern or color way you like but in size 6, you can always sell or exchange it later on. But didymos are really more supportive than giras, but personally I like giras more even with 7 months 21 lb baby:-) they are just too pretty
dilya6722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
DoulainAK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have 2 giras, and 1 didy. My didy is wool. I adore my didy, it's my favorite, I have an Indio. I also really love my giras too. I started with a gira. My babe is 13 mo 22lbs and both wraps have good support. I agree start with a 6, as you get more proficient you may want to go shorter but not at first. I also suggest buy your first wrap used so its already good and broken in. :-) have fun!
DoulainAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
katjoy
Registered Users
seller

between the 2, i'd go with didy. i have a gira & i agree, it's BEAUTIFUL but i find it to be awfully blankety.
katjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
rebeccarose
Registered Users

Someone told me once to buy the prettiest wrap I can find (from a decent "brand") because it would encourage you to wear it more...and lead you down the path of wrap addiction From what I'm seeing, both The Didy and the Gira should work well enough for what u would need, so get something you are going to enjoy and feel pretty wearing. Who knows? You might get another one later
rebeccarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
saturn
Registered Users

It's not that the patterned Didys are necessarily less sturdy or easy to use, it's just that there is so much more variability. Some are very "grippy", others are smooth, some are thick, some tend to get pulls, some have to be hand-washed, etc. The plainer, cheaper ones (like the cotton stripes) are more consistent and are medium grip, medium thickness, so they work well for most wrappers. Plus they don't tend to get pulls and can be machine washed.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
threelittlehoneys
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn
It's not that the patterned Didys are necessarily less sturdy or easy to use, it's just that there is so much more variability. Some are very "grippy", others are smooth, some are thick, some tend to get pulls, some have to be hand-washed, etc. The plainer, cheaper ones (like the cotton stripes) are more consistent and are medium grip, medium thickness, so they work well for most wrappers. Plus they don't tend to get pulls and can be machine washed.
Ooh I see. This makes sense, thx

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum