Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Subsequent labors vastly different?

For those that have had a few kiddos, were your labors vastly different? I just feel like this labor will be nothing like my first, and I am not prepared for experiencing something completely different, if that makes sense. Not that my first was too horrible, but I know that I can handle that but if this one is vastly different, I don't know if I can handle it. I think its just nerves but it still worries me.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:
With my first, my water broke at 37w5d. When I went to the hospital to confirm it was my water, I was not having noticeable ctx and was only 1-2cm dilated. I let them admit me (bad decision on my part) and 12hrs later there was no change and I ended up on pitocin. DS was born just 7.5hrs later, which is obviously pretty fast given the circumstances, but it was a terrible labor hooked up to the monitors, IVs, and stuck in the bed on my back.

With my second, I had my membranes stripped at my 41wk appt, lost some plug and had some bloody show before going to bed that night, woke up around 2:30a with very mild ctx, fell back asleep, up again at 4:30a with stronger "hey, maybe this will turn into something!" ctx, water broke around 5a when i was still in bed, ctx picked up quickly, got to hospital around 7a, ctx every 2-3min, only dilated to 3cm, DD was born at 9am.

Today is my EDD with #3.

I think that if I had not gone to the hospital so early with my first, it would have picked up on its own and once labor got going it would have been a fast labor, although perhaps not as fast as my second. But obviously the timing of the onset of labor was very different btwn the 2. Although, my first weighed 7.7lbs and my second 7.6lbs, so I like to think that my body just waits until they hit that magic weight and then quickly kicks them out
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
With my first, my water broke at 37w5d. When I went to the hospital to confirm it was my water, I was not having noticeable ctx and was only 1-2cm dilated. I let them admit me (bad decision on my part) and 12hrs later there was no change and I ended up on pitocin. DS was born just 7.5hrs later, which is obviously pretty fast given the circumstances, but it was a terrible labor hooked up to the monitors, IVs, and stuck in the bed on my back.

With my second, I had my membranes stripped at my 41wk appt, lost some plug and had some bloody show before going to bed that night, woke up around 2:30a with very mild ctx, fell back asleep, up again at 4:30a with stronger "hey, maybe this will turn into something!" ctx, water broke around 5a when i was still in bed, ctx picked up quickly, got to hospital around 7a, ctx every 2-3min, only dilated to 3cm, DD was born at 9am.

Today is my EDD with #3.

I think that if I had not gone to the hospital so early with my first, it would have picked up on its own and once labor got going it would have been a fast labor, although perhaps not as fast as my second. But obviously the timing of the onset of labor was very different btwn the 2. Although, my first weighed 7.7lbs and my second 7.6lbs, so I like to think that my body just waits until they hit that magic weight and then quickly kicks them out
ETA: my biggest fear with my second was getting pitocin again, so each day that passed after my due date made me nervous. I was so afraid my body wouldn't dilate on its own. When i got to the hospital with #2, having pretty intense ctx and was only at 3cm, i panicked that i was going to get sent home. My midwife took one look at me and assured me i wasn't going anywhere and assured me she thought things were going to happen pretty quickly. Obviously, she knew what she was talking about!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Subsequent labors vastly different?

Yes, all my labours have been different. All fairly quick fortunately.

First: 5 hours of intense contractions 2-3 minutes apart. Bad painful back labour. 30 mins of pushing. Water broke during pushing.

Second: 10 hours on and off mild contractions, walking around, talking, going out for lunch etc, many breaks going half an hour or so with no contractions. Once things picked up it was about 90 minutes of intense contractions/ active labour, water broken by MW at 9cm, and 8 mins later and 2 pushes, baby born. I really felt like it was a very easy labour compared with my first.

Third: water 'leak' started around the same time contractions started, immediately in active labour like my first, <2 hours of intense contractions, baby born in 2 pushes.

My second labour was definitely my easiest despite being my longest, as most of it was not active labour. By the time active labour finally started I had eased into it and was able to deal with it much better than my first and third which I was both thrown right into active labour with no real breaks to get into the zone. And funnily enough it was also my most 'intervention' birth, because I had my water broken and was also monitored the entire time (4 hours in hospital) due to some heart rate issues.

I think one of the fun parts about waiting to go into labour is wondering how it will be. Will it be slow? Fast? I have had one very fast labour and honestly it was not the best! I found it to be a little stressful and luckily it was a homebirth because i don't think i could have made it to hospital. That would have been very stressful! I would be scared of having that again next time around, but then again, there is not much you can do but go with the flow. We have no control over these things and there is no point in trying to control it, what will be will be!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My labors were very similar really, but one was just faster. I agree that faster was harder. (the 5 hour one seemed really easy, the 2.5 hour not so much. But both started more mild, ramped up, then water broke right before pushing started and that went pretty fast. I wasn't quite prepared for how much more intense/painful the second labor was going to be, because the first was really not that bad.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first, I had mildly painful contractions starting around 8 AM at 39+6, got to the hospital around noon at 4 cm, stalled at 6 despite walking, ball bouncing, etc etc, let them break my water, then stalled at 8 for a bit, then went to ten and fetal-ejection-reflex pushing when I flipped over on my hands and knees. 20 minutes of pushing and an awful external and internal tear, it was all over in about 12 hours from first contraction to last.

Second, I was having awful back labor for over 48 hours, contractions wavering 6-12 minutes apart and not regulating until 2 AM that second night. Got to the hospital at 4 AM at almost 7 cm exhausted and DONE. Got my IV and my epi, and my water broke with the next cervix check (not on purpose) at 8 cm. Progressed to 10 shortly, and baby was out in 3 peaceful pushes with a small 2nd degree tear. About 2 1/2 days from first contraction to birth. Gave birth at 39+3

Here I sit at 39+4 just waaaaiiiiting....
Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
My 2 labors were not vastly different. My 1st was 7.5hrs, 2nd was 4hrs. 1st 10days early, 2nd 1day late. spontaneous labors with both. Tore with both, 6.5lb & 6.8lb.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first and second labours were not that different. Both 7 hours from start to finish (shorter if you'd count only active labour, I guess, but I don't know when I hit the 4 cm mark). My second time around I felt much more prepared and in control of things. My first was not a bad experience - it was a spontaneous vaginal delivery, with no epidural and no tearing, but I remember feeling completely overwhelmed and panicky with transition, and I didn't have that with #2.
All the best with your upcoming baby! Maybe get some good birthing books (Ina May Gaskin?) to help ease your mind as you prepare for this birth. Your state of mind going in to labour can definitely affect your progress, so it's best to be feeling positive if you can manage it. And read some good (not scary!) birth stories too.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
EmilyAnn86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mine were all very different. With my first my water broke, contractions started 7 hours later. After 4 hours of horrible back labor I was fully dilated. I pushed for 2 hours. With my second I was in labor for 30 MINUTES. Water broke as he was born. Super easy, amazing labor, but very intense. With my third I was in labor for 22 hours. He was not positioned properly, but once we finally got him to move things went really quickly. I pushed 3 times and he was out. My water broke while pushing.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
NYEMom1231
Registered Users
seller

Yes...in a lot of ways. With one, I dilated continually for 12 hours. With the other, I was stuck at 2cm for 10 hours, then dilated the remaining 8 in the next 2 hours.

I pushed for 1.5 hours with my first, 20 minutes with my 2nd.

My water broke on its own at 2cm with my first....they had to break it after 10 hours with my 2nd.
NYEMom1231 is offline   Reply With Quote