Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 27 baby dolls.....geez

Lol another weird one here, we are hoping to sell our house soon and move into something the same size or smaller. We have about 1600sf now and are looking for something between 1200-1600sf and thats with 7 people and hoping for more little ones in the future small space = less junk.if we have closets we fill them. On the house we are in we have one closet, it's certainly helped us be aware of junk building up

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
What do you even do w/ 3500 or 5000 sq ft of space? We have 1600 and it's feeling like a good size for us now that so much extra stuff is out of here.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #13
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oi, just the thought of that makes my skin crawl.

MIL is always trying to convince us to put an addition on our house... for what I'm not sure? We already have two rooms we don't use! I think she thinks we don't want stuff just because we don't have a ton of extra space... Like my nieces each have their own desks at 5 & 7 because their room is huge... but even if my girls had a huge room I wouldn't get them each a desk... Or they have this huuuge walk in closet (almost the size of my girls' room, lol) and each have their own dresser in there so they have tooons of clothes... My girls share a small six drawer dresser, but they can do that just fine because we choose to not have a ton of clothes... We just don't want the extra stuff... period. I think a lot of people are confused by that
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

I know, right?! Other people are crazy I do feel so much better about my house and our possessions when I see "normal" people's homes. The last few years I have taken so much out of our home in terms of belongings and furniture, and I'm finally starting to feel like it's getting to where I want it. This past fall we decided to start looking for a home in the country (we're currently in town), and it surprises me the responses we get from others when we tell them. Everyone says how of course we need more space with four kids, and comments on how our house is too small, and how each kid should have their own bedroom. They are shocked when we tell them we don't want a bigger house. I want a yard and a few chickens, I want a better floorplan. I do not want space to fill with crap we don't need. And no one can understand this. Our realtor keep showing us enormous houses because "it's the right size for a family like ours" What?! My parent's recently sold their 4,000 s.f. home (which is in our area) and everyone pushed us to buy it. No way! I have no desire to spend my life cleaning square footage full of crap we never use and never seeing my family because they are all off doing their own thing in our vast house. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? I'm glad this board exists so I can get support from other sane people
Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
What do you even do w/ 3500 or 5000 sq ft of space? We have 1600 and it's feeling like a good size for us now that so much extra stuff is out of here.
Like I said earlier, it's stuff like this that makes me feel like an odd duck around here :/

We truly live minimally compared to most Americans. We each only have 10 outfits per season, and my kids have maybe 10 different toy groups. They can each have 3 dolls or stuffies max. We have empty closets. And like I said, I would have preferred 2500-3000 sq ft.

But since you asked, I will tell you what we do with 3500 sq feet. We have 4 kids under age 8, and each has a 12x12' bedroom. At the moment, the rooms are pretty sparse with a twin bed and small dresser in each. I anticipate they will get fuller as the kids get desks and their interests take over. They are young enough for me to impose minimalism on--but that may get harder during the teenage years! DH and I have a 12x16' bedroom with an attached bathroom.

On the main floor, beside 3 of the bedrooms, we have a combined living/dining/kitchen area (28x18' I think), a "common" bathroom, and a 10x10' laundry room.

In the basement are the other 2 bedrooms, a 12x12' computer/sewing room, a bathroom, and a huge rec room space. I believe it is something like 800 sq ft. We have our only TV on one end and the kids have run of the rest. It is more space than necessary, but awesome in the winter. We can actually play soccer down there .

The few hallways are 4' wide and there is also a large front entry and an unfinished storage room that mostly sits empty.

I have commented many times to friends and relatives that we wish it was smaller, and they always seem surprised and say it doesn't seem that big. It has a wonderful layout (I designed it ) but more rooms than you would think and/or notice (like if you don't go looking for the kids' rooms and computer room). Doing it again, I would either make the bedrooms smaller or just eliminate one from each level and have the kids share. I would probably make the other rooms slightly smaller as well.

I do love how we never, ever feel crowded or overwhelmed by stuff with all this space. We have room to incorporate extras like a full sized piano, a homeschool area, etc, if we want in the future.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-19-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My tolerance for clutter has completely changed, and I definitely notice it when others have lots of toys. I sometimes find myself categorizing the things and imagining which ones I would get rid of first. Maybe it's because it's so easy. My house is down to the tougher stuff... but their houses usually have lots of things with missing pieces and duplicate items - it would be so easy and fun to pare down!

And it does make me wonder what others think of our space being so bare. I think most people are amazed that we keep out the art supplies and the 1 year old has free access to all the paint and glitter.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are a family of 3 & DS is still in our bed. The 700-800 sq ft we have is too much in my opinion. I think I'd love a studio apartment at this stage, like 400 sq ft max. But DH needs a garage or something for his incredibly dusty& loud hobby (guitar making). Maybe we could just buy a garage, turn the attic into an apartment and build a house later when we have more kids. An idea....
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And as far as baby dolls goes my DS has exactly one. He has a few (less than 5) other stuffed animals he plays with. His toys are really limited because he never plays with them anyways. We lost the lid to one of our totes, so all of his toys have to fit in there & he has like 30 board books.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
My tolerance for clutter has completely changed, and I definitely notice it when others have lots of toys. I sometimes find myself categorizing the things and imagining which ones I would get rid of first. Maybe it's because it's so easy. My house is down to the tougher stuff... but their houses usually have lots of things with missing pieces and duplicate items - it would be so easy and fun to pare down!

And it does make me wonder what others think of our space being so bare. I think most people are amazed that we keep out the art supplies and the 1 year old has free access to all the paint and glitter.
Ha ha, this makes me think of yesterday, I was looking at (laughing at), baby item ads on craigslist, and then looking in the background of the pics and all the STUFF. I wanted to throw it all out so badly I get that feeling pretty much wherever I go, now, lol

Last edited by leadmare; 02-19-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: stupid phone
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #20
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29

Like I said earlier, it's stuff like this that makes me feel like an odd duck around here :/

We truly live minimally compared to most Americans. We each only have 10 outfits per season, and my kids have maybe 10 different toy groups. They can each have 3 dolls or stuffies max. We have empty closets. And like I said, I would have preferred 2500-3000 sq ft.

But since you asked, I will tell you what we do with 3500 sq feet. We have 4 kids under age 8, and each has a 12x12' bedroom. At the moment, the rooms are pretty sparse with a twin bed and small dresser in each. I anticipate they will get fuller as the kids get desks and their interests take over. They are young enough for me to impose minimalism on--but that may get harder during the teenage years! DH and I have a 12x16' bedroom with an attached bathroom.

On the main floor, beside 3 of the bedrooms, we have a combined living/dining/kitchen area (28x18' I think), a "common" bathroom, and a 10x10' laundry room.

In the basement are the other 2 bedrooms, a 12x12' computer/sewing room, a bathroom, and a huge rec room space. I believe it is something like 800 sq ft. We have our only TV on one end and the kids have run of the rest. It is more space than necessary, but awesome in the winter. We can actually play soccer down there .

The few hallways are 4' wide and there is also a large front entry and an unfinished storage room that mostly sits empty.

I have commented many times to friends and relatives that we wish it was smaller, and they always seem surprised and say it doesn't seem that big. It has a wonderful layout (I designed it ) but more rooms than you would think and/or notice (like if you don't go looking for the kids' rooms and computer room). Doing it again, I would either make the bedrooms smaller or just eliminate one from each level and have the kids share. I would probably make the other rooms slightly smaller as well.

I do love how we never, ever feel crowded or overwhelmed by stuff with all this space. We have room to incorporate extras like a full sized piano, a homeschool area, etc, if we want in the future.
I wasn't being snarky; I honestly wondered how the space would be used. So is it 5 bedrooms or 6? I'd love to have a guest room/office, so I can understand wanting some more room. I've lived in places smaller than 800 sq ft so that must be a huge room!
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote