Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Refurb! Apple refurbs are excellent! Or any refurb & buy the SquareTrade warranty... NOT the store warranty. And, that's only on items that the purchase price is worth the warrant.

Washer & dryer were supposed to be floor models, but the other sales guy was leaning on it, laid his keys and phone on it while talking to another customer. I looked at the sales guy and said, "If its as-is cold you please pull it from the floor now?" We got brand new ones!!

I'm amazing at buying electronics... Somehow I always get more for less than budgeted. I'm known for wicked deals!

Another way is to piggyback the store gift card with a discount.

And then of course, my other favorites are credit card cashback & purchasing through their site for up to 20% off. FatWallet is good too. At Christmas time, most of the reward pecentages double... Like Apple went to 10% cashback.

And cashing in cashback for store gift cards.

Advertisement

HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you buy electronics thriftily?

Our desktop was a floor model from Sam's Club. My laptop was a Black Friday deal. I bought our Kindle Fire with GC from Swagbucks. DH's phone was on sale, mine is my dad's old one. We've bought phones from ebay in the past. I read tons of reviews and don't buy the first version.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
We have bought lots of stuff refurbished in the past few years and have been quite satisfied. WM even sells refurb. Apple sells almost all of their products refurb. Best Buy sells lots of refurb items too.
I got DH a laptop for Christmas since he is going to school online and I waited until it was on sale at BJ's and had a coupon too.
This! We buy a lot of refurbs. Apple even offers the same warranty on their refurbished items as they do on their non-refurbished items. Our first dyson vacuum is on it's 7th or 8th year of use and going strong. I will aslo buy discounted gift cards on plastic jungle if I know we are going to make a purchase at a particular store. We will aslo shop around, price match, and buy in the next county where the tax is lower.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

We just don't buy electronics (I don't count household appliances such as washers and dryers as electronics). We get the free phones when our contract is renewed, my printer is about ten years old from when I was in college and our laptop was a hand me down from a family member.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #25
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DH always browses Craigslist and other similar sites. He finds the best deals. He just got an entertainment center and a flat screen tv for 100$ from some truck drivers who needed it gone fast. The tv sells used for about 300 and the entertainment center would be about 80 new.
He often buys good deals of things we don't want/need and then uses those items to trade for big ticket items that we do need.
Example: someone was selling a 450$ phone for 60$. He bought it and traded it for a nice laptop and an rc car (he collects)
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #26
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I trade or buy second hand. We never have the latest gadgets though and are very realistic with our "needs".

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #27
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We wait and research a lot. I rarely buy in store mostly online. We build our own computers. We are very picky about our electronics so we don't always get the cheapest but we do get a good deal on the best. We are definitely not the type to get the newest model the day it comes out.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)

Last edited by Ducko; 02-24-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #28
lisali
Registered Users

My Mood:

What kind of electronic devices do you specifically want to talk about? You can search it on the internet first and read some things about it. When you decided which one to buy, you can check either Amazon or eBay. Refurbished items are also great and not necessarily risky. They're even cheaper.

Last edited by lisali; 10-26-2013 at 06:33 AM.
lisali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #29
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Depends on the electronic:

The iPod I'm typing on I did a partial trade for a Macy's gc I got from returning a bunch of Christmas presents that were the wrong size.

I sold/partial trade for another tablet and put the funds toward the Kindle. I watched and waited. I bought an Amazon refurb and could not be happier. The Amazon refurbs go through extensive testing. Mine was as new. Not a scratch, dent, dust, fingerprint. The customer service from them has been fantastic.

The two dumb phones we are using I traded for on here.

Someone gave us a flat screen they didn't want anymore and a DVD player. We were also gifted a laptop for the kids a couple of Christmases ago.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote