Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #91
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Feb 18 - Feb 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
PS. Zero based budgets and blind debits......
Currently, we have a tolltag on both cars. DH uses it frequently because it cuts his commute in half. I use it only once in a while. It charges you 40$ and when you use that up in tolls, it charges you again. I originally set it up to charge my cc. After we met Dave, lol, I left it on the cc since I never know when its coming, and I try to keep a zero based budget. I could just leave an extra 40 in checking but weve only been doing the budget this way for a month and Im too scared it will get spent. I noticed its been charging once a month now. I am tempted to justify it bc dh works 70hr/wk. Hes salary too so no OT sadly. As it cuts his commute in half, any time we can get to see him more, I take it.
So....is this a worthwhile expense?
If so, how should I handle it?? Should I leave it on the card? Set it to draft from savings?
I am not comfortable with not having a cushion in the checking account. Personally, I leave $250 in there and just "forget" that it is in there.

Amber, it is hard when your vehicle doesn't work for you.

Advertisement

MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #92
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

hmmmm my refund status just says Refund Sent. Where did yall find the date it was set to go into your account??
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #93
WyattsMommy09
Registered Users
seller

*sigh* we were doing so well too.

Dd somehow managed to knock over dhs TV and broke the inside screen and the hdmi cable. I was terrified of his reaction, lol. That's like his one vice. He doesn't smoke, drink, go out with the boys, nothing. He just enjoys his netflix. So I was freaking out. Thankfully he wasn't too upset, but we had to replace it tonight. I use it for my insanity workout (working out using the computer is awful), he uses it to relax.... So it was definitely a necessity. Funny, we rarely watch TV but yet it's so important in the little ways....

So we went to best buy/sears/target and came home $569 broker. Lol. We got a 50" LCD TV and a hdmi cable, and saved over $200, so I guess it's a thrifty buy.

It just sucks that it happened and I had to use up the remaining tax money on it, since that $$ was earmarked for our gas/hotel when I drive home. Oh well I guess. We'll just have to seriously buckle down before the end of march, when I move.
WyattsMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #94
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadybugMonkey View Post
For the cell phone that the minute don't expire i just leave the tablet signed into my skype account and have a balance on there for calling out when we have babysitters.
Don't have a tablet so that doesn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
What we ended up doing was getting texting app on DD1's ipod, so she gets a few minutes of VOIP phone time each day, plus she can text us or the grandparents anytime. Either DH, DD or I are home and therefore at least one way to communicate. We tried the go phone, but I was annoyed at paying $15 a month on minutes that we threw away b/c most of the time we didn't need them.
Hmmm... so I'm still looking for a solution since I'm mainly dealing with a teenage babysitter (and really we've only had one three times in ds five years of life, but now that he's older and talks I think we may start doing it more often.) I just assumed all teenagers have cell phones now but apparently the very sweet responsible girl next door doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I am going to moan about my car again, so feel free to ignore me. Just need to vent...

I hate my car. I mean, I really, really, really hate my car. I hate it even more today than I did the last time I was moaning about it. We got our first Radian today and I decided to go see if it would fit with DD's HBB and the MyRide65 that we already own. Apparently, the back driver-side door decided to start leaking over the course of the last four days since I had driven it last. The MR65 and the floor had puddles in them. My car is like a dank, moldy swimming pool.

The good news is that the car seats all fit (saving me another $270 that I don't have to spend on a Radian). The bad news is that DD can no longer buckle herself in because they are so smooshed together that it is next to impossible to get between the two seats to buckle her. Also, a 2nd Radian would not fit RF in the car because it is too tall to fit anywhere but in the middle seat. So I would have had to turn DS around well before I am ready to.

I want a new car. We can't get the Ford payed off soon enough, IMO. Come on snow flakes!
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #95
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadybugMonkey View Post
For the cell phone that the minute don't expire i just leave the tablet signed into my skype account and have a balance on there for calling out when we have babysitters.
Don't have a tablet so that doesn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
What we ended up doing was getting texting app on DD1's ipod, so she gets a few minutes of VOIP phone time each day, plus she can text us or the grandparents anytime. Either DH, DD or I are home and therefore at least one way to communicate. We tried the go phone, but I was annoyed at paying $15 a month on minutes that we threw away b/c most of the time we didn't need them.
Hmmm... so I'm still looking for a solution since I'm mainly dealing with a teenage babysitter (and really we've only had one three times in ds five years of life, but now that he's older and talks I think we may start doing it more often.) I just assumed all teenagers have cell phones now but apparently the very sweet responsible girl next door doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I am going to moan about my car again, so feel free to ignore me. Just need to vent...

I hate my car. I mean, I really, really, really hate my car. I hate it even more today than I did the last time I was moaning about it. We got our first Radian today and I decided to go see if it would fit with DD's HBB and the MyRide65 that we already own. Apparently, the back driver-side door decided to start leaking over the course of the last four days since I had driven it last. The MR65 and the floor had puddles in them. My car is like a dank, moldy swimming pool.

The good news is that the car seats all fit (saving me another $270 that I don't have to spend on a Radian). The bad news is that DD can no longer buckle herself in because they are so smooshed together that it is next to impossible to get between the two seats to buckle her. Also, a 2nd Radian would not fit RF in the car because it is too tall to fit anywhere but in the middle seat. So I would have had to turn DS around well before I am ready to.

I want a new car. We can't get the Ford payed off soon enough, IMO. Come on snow flakes!
I feel the same way about DH's car. It's an older saturn too. The door moldings leak and it's disgusting (that's his fault) it has trouble starting, and makes weird noises while running. But luckily for us, he doesn't care. He doesn't even notice. When I have to drive his car, I end up looking at new ones online to replace it and he just as to what's wrong with his car because he thinks it's fine. I'm greatful for him being so clueless and not caring about his car though because it's buying us time on having to replace it. I know it's coming soon, because one big mechanical breakdown and it won't be worth fixing. But who knows that could be 4 years from now or it could be next week. I'm really hoping it's later rather than sooner. We also don't live in the land of constant rain so that helps too. Hope you find a solution soon. We have several windows on our poor little saturn siliconed shut so they don't leak, but sadly now it's the door gaskets that are leaking.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #96
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads
I am not comfortable with not having a cushion in the checking account. Personally, I leave $250 in there and just "forget" that it is in there.

Amber, it is hard when your vehicle doesn't work for you.
That is what we are doing too. Not savings, not for bills...just there.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #97
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee02
I would get the big house.

Seriously...I dream of to day we have 3 more rooms. We have a three bedroom right now...but ods and dd share at the moment and it terrible. Plus...I need an office! Tis house was big when it was just dh,ods and I...now i need space!

Nothing new here...paid the ticket, $152. Tomorrow I am going to the bank to get a $210 money order and sending it with signature required. , then Monday I need to go to the bank across town to see about the money order we sent last month they said they did not get. Also have to come up with $250 for the dogs spaying. Oh yeah...tomorrow I also need to change the title over to our names and register the car...this is going to be an expensive 2 days...

On the money in front...we have about 1338 right now that is not earmarked for food/household.

Mortgage - 855
Electric - 250 (this is going by last month...hoping it is cheaper this month)
Dogs - 250
Car - 100 (estimate for amount we will need for title and plates)
Ticket - 152
Money order - 215 (again, upped a but to account for the mailing it)

Leaves me about $500 short. I upped my ebay listings, so that will help. I still have money coming in for 3 more Mary Kay orders (one of those was around $125 too). March is also a 3 payday month. Hopefully my dad will file my taxes soon so I can see what that will be.

Still waiting to hear about the lady's car...her agent called yesterday but left the wrong number.
Ok...today cost 244.06...includes the car and money order so I over estimated by about 80. I have $200 in PayPal already from things that ended last night and still have about 10 things I am waiting on payment for. Plus my Mary Kay orders.

I need to keep up with my ebay listings...we will have at maximum, the deductible for dh's accident, so another 1000. Hoping to just throw dh's extra paycheck at that rather than use our savings. That was going to go for debt, but at least we will not go into debt further...also, with the new car, our insurance is $25 cheaper this month (about 10 next month).
Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #98
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi
hmmmm my refund status just says Refund Sent. Where did yall find the date it was set to go into your account??
On the IRS website there's a "where's my refund?" link

Ours was set to deposit on a Tuesday, but deposited the Friday before. It was a VERY pleasant surprise!
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #99
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

My husband, bless his heart, is really looking for land that we can't afford at this moment (it's in the plans soon, but it's just a "not right now" type of thing). It's starting to frustrate me. I know we hate where we live now, but it's so hard to just accept that it is what it is while we save when he is dangling these parcels over my nose, driving me to see them etc.

I don't want to lose a year of my life, but I wish I could fast forward a year so this could be more of a reality.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #100
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattsMommy09
*sigh* we were doing so well too.

Dd somehow managed to knock over dhs TV and broke the inside screen and the hdmi cable. I was terrified of his reaction, lol. That's like his one vice. He doesn't smoke, drink, go out with the boys, nothing. He just enjoys his netflix. So I was freaking out. Thankfully he wasn't too upset, but we had to replace it tonight. I use it for my insanity workout (working out using the computer is awful), he uses it to relax.... So it was definitely a necessity. Funny, we rarely watch TV but yet it's so important in the little ways....

So we went to best buy/sears/target and came home $569 broker. Lol. We got a 50" LCD TV and a hdmi cable, and saved over $200, so I guess it's a thrifty buy.

It just sucks that it happened and I had to use up the remaining tax money on it, since that $$ was earmarked for our gas/hotel when I drive home. Oh well I guess. We'll just have to seriously buckle down before the end of march, when I move.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote