Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2
DH and I had a great budget meeting yesterday since we are making some changes to expenses. We made some great decisions based on the past couple months of expenses and income without any overtime.

1. When we moved here we signed up for a promo with the internet company for 1.7mbps for $24.99/month for 6 months. That was the cheapest rate out there without a contract, and we do not want a contract. Well, the promo expired and we were going to be paying $40/month for 1.7mbps. We really like the company and their awesome customer service and don't want to change to any other company even if they are slightly cheaper, so we stayed with them and upgraded to 12mbps for $50/month. Yes, it's $10 more expensive. But we have noticed a HUGE difference. I am on the computer a lot for my college classes and need a decent speed to download lectures etc. DH watches youtube constantly on his laptop. We don't have cable, we have a ROKU and when it's on our internet speed suffers badly and most of our shows take forever to load. It's well worth the extra $10 to us.

2. We are leaving Verizon and switching to a prepaid service which will cut out cell phone bill in half AND give DH some data (we have zero data now), which is something he's been begging for. We will save $50/month with this switch. He is using his "fun money" from the tax return to invest in a nice smartphone. I will use a smartphone I already got from a friend for cheap.

I like that both of these changes (internet/cell) keep us off contracts so we can terminate at any time or change if our needs change.

3. We are increasing the grocery/tolietry budget by $50/month. We are doing MUCH better since switching to monthly grocery shopping to elimate grocery leaks, but with DH taking his lunch 4/5 days a week and the kids snacking like ravenous monsters, it needs increased. We decided it's better to increase it then be frustrated when we go over it every month.

4. Since we will have all our small debts paid off after this month, we will have a pre-overtime snowball of $100 extra to the car payment each month. I've said it before but DH gets about $200-300 of overtime a month (this month he had $400+ in one week - which allows us to finish off the personal loan this week). ALL of the overtime (and bonuses) will go to the car note.

Ok, so no HUGE changes but some small changes that I wanted to share - it keeps me honest in terms of keeping our lifestyles at a minimum...but also helps me see that a cash paid vacation this year is ok.

HAPPY MONDAY!

I think sometimes you do haven to pay for a good service. It is worth it if the product actually works!

My kids kill me with the snacking too! I swear the three of them eat all.day.long!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Feb 18 - Feb 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee02 View Post
I think sometimes you do haven to pay for a good service. It is worth it if the product actually works!

My kids kill me with the snacking too! I swear the three of them eat all.day.long!
We had a discussion a couple weeks ago regarding snacks and they responded very well to "more vegetables"... me thinking they would snack less if it was something that they didn't love. Yeah, 1lb of carrots between two kids lasts 1 afternoon snack.

Ravenous I tell you!!
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2 View Post
DH and I had a great budget meeting yesterday since we are making some changes to expenses. We made some great decisions based on the past couple months of expenses and income without any overtime.

1. When we moved here we signed up for a promo with the internet company for 1.7mbps for $24.99/month for 6 months. That was the cheapest rate out there without a contract, and we do not want a contract. Well, the promo expired and we were going to be paying $40/month for 1.7mbps. We really like the company and their awesome customer service and don't want to change to any other company even if they are slightly cheaper, so we stayed with them and upgraded to 12mbps for $50/month. Yes, it's $10 more expensive. But we have noticed a HUGE difference. I am on the computer a lot for my college classes and need a decent speed to download lectures etc. DH watches youtube constantly on his laptop. We don't have cable, we have a ROKU and when it's on our internet speed suffers badly and most of our shows take forever to load. It's well worth the extra $10 to us.

2. We are leaving Verizon and switching to a prepaid service which will cut out cell phone bill in half AND give DH some data (we have zero data now), which is something he's been begging for. We will save $50/month with this switch. He is using his "fun money" from the tax return to invest in a nice smartphone. I will use a smartphone I already got from a friend for cheap.

I like that both of these changes (internet/cell) keep us off contracts so we can terminate at any time or change if our needs change.

3. We are increasing the grocery/tolietry budget by $50/month. We are doing MUCH better since switching to monthly grocery shopping to elimate grocery leaks, but with DH taking his lunch 4/5 days a week and the kids snacking like ravenous monsters, it needs increased. We decided it's better to increase it then be frustrated when we go over it every month.

4. Since we will have all our small debts paid off after this month, we will have a pre-overtime snowball of $100 extra to the car payment each month. I've said it before but DH gets about $200-300 of overtime a month (this month he had $400+ in one week - which allows us to finish off the personal loan this week). ALL of the overtime (and bonuses) will go to the car note.

Ok, so no HUGE changes but some small changes that I wanted to share - it keeps me honest in terms of keeping our lifestyles at a minimum...but also helps me see that a cash paid vacation this year is ok.

HAPPY MONDAY!
Kudos surviving 1.7Mbps. That's crazy! I think upgrading is a legitimate expense, especially without a contract.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I need to jump back in here for some encouragement. We are officially in BS3 now. This past month we also paid off our large tax bill (why didn't I wait until April 15th?? ) and made some necessary updates to the house. And now it's time to buckle down again and get to saving a FFEF.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
We just updated our internet too. DH takes college classes online and we only have netflix/hulu and cant use both at once. We are with att and paying 65ish/mo for 3mb and it slows way down when either the tv is on or dh is doing a class. So we got twc....15mb for 45$. They come to install it this week sometime. Cant wait!! No contract either, they say.

Hoping the refi closes soon. Its been draggggging on.

Cant wait to change cell providers in May. We will have to get new phones but hoping to take care of that expense with the tax return.

Speaking of, seems there are so many little things needing a peice of the tax return. Hope we have enough to pay off stuff. Yarrrr!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi
We just updated our internet too. DH takes college classes online and we only have netflix/hulu and cant use both at once. We are with att and paying 65ish/mo for 3mb and it slows way down when either the tv is on or dh is doing a class. So we got twc....15mb for 45$. They come to install it this week sometime. Cant wait!! No contract either, they say.

Hoping the refi closes soon. Its been draggggging on.

Cant wait to change cell providers in May. We will have to get new phones but hoping to take care of that expense with the tax return.

Speaking of, seems there are so many little things needing a peice of the tax return. Hope we have enough to pay off stuff. Yarrrr!!!
We felt the same way about the tax return. We finally sat down and talked about what was most important, and we ended up deciding X amount was going to debt first, then the rest would be split by level of importance. After debt the big one was a washer, and while it still bugs me that I could have paid a ton of debt with that money, I really love my washer. After that the few hundred that was left was spilt up by the rest of what we felt was important. We ended up paying what we thought were our two smallest debts, then we found out our car loan was slightly less than the big one, and I find myself kind of banging my head since that is our biggest monthly payment. Oh well.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

We watched Top Gun the other night on netflix and now DH is BEGGING for another motorcycle....with a payment!!!! WTH!! Clearly we need to have a nice long Come to Jesus meeting. I said I thought we agreed NO MORE DEBT! He was sad for a while but oh well. Suck it up, Buttercup!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
We watched Top Gun the other night on netflix and now DH is BEGGING for another motorcycle....with a payment!!!! WTH!! Clearly we need to have a nice long Come to Jesus meeting. I said I thought we agreed NO MORE DEBT! He was sad for a while but oh well. Suck it up, Buttercup!
I told dh if he didn't stop asking to finance things I was buying a cattle prod with the tax return.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Suck it up, Buttercup!
want to borrow my DHs can of Suck It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I told dh if he didn't stop asking to finance things I was buying a cattle prod with the tax return.
maybe we can get a group discount on cattle prods
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sold some more crap...i mean stuff ...today. won't be much, but it will pay for my gas & some groceries. then i can transfer some more $$ to our savings.

fyi on the cell services.....I used to have an iPhone. Now, I dearly LOVED my iPhone. but i honestly could not justify the expense of having one. so, i checked around, and i finally decided on Walmart's Straight Talk plan. It's $45/month unlimited talk/text/web and NO contract. I LOVE the no contract part as the contracts serioulsy make me cra-cra. I have a droid smart phone that I love. I think I paid $179 for it, but it's mine, not theirs. And anytime I get sick of their service, I can just dump them w/o fear of penalties. And as for the service, I have NO complaints. Also, sometimes on the Straight Talk website, they will have specials where you can get a phone free/cheap w/service. That's how I got my first phone w/them. I've been w/them for over 2yrs now and have no desire to change.

as for our internet, we have the highest speed that comcast has. we must have it because of DHs work. but, we save on the cable end as we only have the VERY basic cable, then we stream netflix. works for us and it saves some $$.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote