Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Yahoo! DH just halved his wardrobe!

I've been mostly leading by example, and ruthlessly, constantly purging. After a move last summer, it was clear to me things needed to change. So bit by bit, room by room, I started purging. I threw stuff out. I donated enough to outfit another home. And things are coming together. It is so fast to clean and pick up now. I don't feel totally overrun with stuff. But, it totally warmed my heart when I walked in to find my husband had just purged half of closet!! I was so stoked! And shocked; but mostly proud of him.

It motivated me to kick it up a notch. His closet looks better than mine, lol. Any happy stories out there about your SO or kids?

Advertisement

Last edited by leadmare; 02-18-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Sweet! DH has a ridiculous amount of clothing. I would love for him to purge half.

As far as something nice to share, my Mastiff "puppy" celebrated his first bday by helping me decide I didn't need a kindergarten sleeping mat, a tube of toothpaste, a disposable razor, and some door trim. I really look at things differently when they are shredded to a million pieces on my carpet.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yahoo! DH just halved his wardrobe!

Awesome!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
As far as DHs, I've found mine it's much more receptive when I'm specific about what I'm getting rid of and focus on what he's keeping. 'i found a little hole in the hem of this shirt. You have these other 2 nice gray ones, you cool if I ditch this gray one?' Or 'wow, I just realized you have 5 hoodies. Is it alright if I get rids of the one with the grease stain?' He's getting a little better.

My DD asked me to get rid of all her toys in the playroom so they could play games. They trashed it last week, so as I picked up I put most of their toys away in the closet. So for the last few days they've had to suffer (eyeroll) with
Kitchen (no food)
Bouncy horse
Rocking boat
Blocks
Train
Duplos
Pirate box
Dolls
Stuffed animals
A few other assorted items.
They survived (gasp) and have thrived on open ended play.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
MSmith88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DH finally realized how badly we need to purge each time he moves a load here. We decided to go room to room. Our room will be last because it will be the hardest. He is most excited about less of a mess to keep up with!
MSmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

I hear ya! My DH is pretty much the anti-minimalist. He still has tshirts from high school 16 years ago. We never shared a closet because of hs packrat behaviour and his inability to keep his space tidy, so for five years he used the closet in DS room. Well in five years we added two more DS and a DD, and the boys needed their closet! Which meant we needed to share the closet in our room. For a few moments, I thought this might be the end of our marriage but he amazed me by donating more that 10 garbage bags worth of stuff! And we have been sharing a closet for six months now. He still has way more stuff than me, but I am so impressed and proud of him! And it is so much easier for him to keep his side of the closet tidy.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

Whoops double post. Sorry!

Last edited by babykp08; 02-19-2013 at 07:19 AM.
babykp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Woo hoo! Way to go!

DH is very sentimental and doesn't part with anything. He gets annoyed when I get rid of things because what if some day he needs something. But he does appreciate the home being more organized.

I was surprised when he went through his desk recently. I would have liked him to get rid of way more, but I'll take the progress he made and told him how great he did. I cringe when I see broken things just sitting there, and stuff I know he doesn't need. Or a stuffed animal he can't get rid of even though he's not sure who gave it to him but he knows it was a gift so he can't get rid of it. Half a closet? I'd be thrilled if he could do that! We've got a bunch of shoes sitting in his closet, they don't fit and haven't been worn in years, but "what if he needs them?"
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's awesome.

My dh is a hoarder but he is slowly making very small changes since he has seen the benefits of living minimally. He actually last night gave me a pair of jeans that no longer fit him to purge. I know it seems small but for him it's big, he did it entirely on his own too, just gave them to me and mumbled they were for donating. LOL

Now half his wardrobe would be amazing, never gonna happen though.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
Sweet! DH has a ridiculous amount of clothing. I would love for him to purge half.

As far as something nice to share, my Mastiff "puppy" celebrated his first bday by helping me decide I didn't need a kindergarten sleeping mat, a tube of toothpaste, a disposable razor, and some door trim. I really look at things differently when they are shredded to a million pieces on my carpet.
So helpful! He's like your minimalist buddy: Do you need this enough to replace it? (Now repeat with everything you own).
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote