Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
eilla05
Registered Users
seller

Limited budget CD for newborn and up

I know a young lady (18) who just had her first baby and is wanting to CD. She currently has 3 newborn BG AIO's that she got at her shower and is using the disposables she got at her shower until she can figure out what to get. She is on an extremely limited budget I would guess she can probably afford to spend 40-50.00 to start her stash with being able to purchase more later on.

What would you recommend that would last her the longest? I was thinking prefolds and covers but I honestly don't know the best least expensive prefolds and covers. Her little guy is currently 6lbs 8oz at a week old

Any help would be great!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Limited budget CD for newborn and up

Flats and covers. Did she get receiving blankets at her shower? She could use those too.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

There is a thread in the Thrifty Families sub-forum called something like "CD newborn through small for $17". I'll bump it for you. Lots of good ideas. She could use those ideas to get her through until the baby could fit into OS diapers, and spend her money there instead (I'd recommend Diaper Safari covers and flats once the baby is out of newborn sizes).
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The one size diaper safari covers are on sale today only for $4.50 each. They won't fit her ittle one for awhile. But, I don't think she would find a better deal on covers.

Then, she could buy flats for prefolds for under it.

Last edited by lady longs; 02-18-2013 at 12:55 PM.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
eilla05
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
Flats and covers. Did she get receiving blankets at her shower? She could use those too.
I know nothing about flats...care to share more? I didn't see any blankets at her shower mostly clothes. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

Buy first: 12 imagine birdseye flats $18.90
3 Bummis Super Lite Covers $33.00
$51.90

You fold the flats in quarters and then in thirds like a letter. It makes an absorbent pad. These are cheapest to start, trim, absorbent, and fast to air dry.

Next: get the same thing over again. This will give more time between washes.

As Baby grows: 6 Flip covers $13.95 each, these are one size and will fit for a long time, as will the flats.
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Covers and flats will be the cheapest. cottonbabies have econobum seconds covers for $4.95 right now. If I had $50ish to start up I would get 5 of the Econobum covers, 12 birdseye flats, a set of Boingos, and a small hemp babies doubler for nights. She will have to wash everyday but it beats paying for sposies.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilla05 View Post
I know nothing about flats...care to share more? I didn't see any blankets at her shower mostly clothes. Thanks!
i use receiving blankets trifolded in flips covers. i really like them. you can fold it over to fit the size of the cover. im using gerber blankets. they have them at thrift stores even. flats require folding but they wash super well and dry quick. if she could get 24 diapers of some type she could go 1-2 days maybe with out washing and have a ful load.

if you go the prefold route i suggest getting the regular infant size and skip everything else. folding them down in front using the anglewing fold helps at first until they grow into them more. so far mine have lasted me 9 months.

she could also go on freecycle and post an ad or look on craigslist.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If she does gets flats or even prefolds she could still in OS pockets or covers and stuff them. infant prefold absorbancy wouldn't last forever but it would work for a little.

I would get DUO covers, like thristies duo, they will last usually until Med size. If she gets infant prefolds she can can snappi on them until they don't snappi then tri-fold

you can find good deals on used diapers on ebay.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-18-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfergy0625 View Post
Covers and flats will be the cheapest. cottonbabies have econobum seconds covers for $4.95 right now. If I had $50ish to start up I would get 5 of the Econobum covers, 12 birdseye flats, a set of Boingos, and a small hemp babies doubler for nights. She will have to wash everyday but it beats paying for sposies.
In a month or so she could hopefully get more to last longer.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote