Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had terrible problems with reflux with DS and have already been having issues with this one (I'm 16 weeks). I have tummy issues anyway and they just seem to get worse with pg. Protonix (an rx similar to Prilosec) is the only thing that brings me any relief unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #12
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: 3rd tri heartburn......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bai18176 View Post
I've been doing Zantac. I take the low dose in the am and the pm because it's terrible . Chia seeds are good; swallow them whole with water, but my gag reflex is off the charts right now, so I'm sticking with what works. Hope you find something that helps!
You might consider something that lasts 24 hours, like Protonix or Prilosec or Nexium. I took Zantac with my first pregnancy, and it was annoying always having to up my dose as the pregnancy went on. In fact, I would suffer all day and use Tums just so I could take the max dose before bed so I wouldn't wake up gagging on acid.

I take a daily PPI even when not pregnant, and so I don't work up to needing to take something stronger -- the pregnancy hormones immediately kick my reflux up a notch, even before the physical pressures would cause it to be an issue.

I hate Tums, they make me want to vomit. I took some the other night, and I can't stand the taste they leave in my mouth, even 6 hours later . I think tey used to have some that were chewy like Staburst? But can't seem to find any like that anymore?
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Mylanta worked for me!
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Tums Smoothies for me. I refer to them as "dessert" when talking to my DH.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #15
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

I take Omeprazole (prilosec) in the morning and zantac at night and chew papaya enzymes as needed. So far it is working. Pregnancy is the only time that I have reflux on a regular basis and it gets really bad which is why I end up on so much medication. I also find that I have to take zofran nearly daily because the nausea kicks back in quite a bit in the morning while the omeprazole kicks in. Good luck momma!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Maalox worked for me until a couple wks ago, not great but it let me sleep most nights. Then it just stopped helping.

Now I am using one pepcid pill at dinner and it works for all night and most of the day.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly you're probably a little bit dehydrated. Drink a ton of water and it should improve greatly. Although the first 24 hrs or so will probably be horrible I was taking zantac twice a day AND tums in my second trimester, I could NOT get it under control. It was getting to be too much, so I stopped everything, and did tons of water. After that I was totally able to keep it under control with NO meds for the whole 3'rd trimester. If I had a flare up after that, sometimes a whole apple would help. And eeevery once in a while I would need a tums. But water was my magic cure!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
birdinhand
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaratliff View Post
Honestly you're probably a little bit dehydrated. Drink a ton of water and it should improve greatly. Although the first 24 hrs or so will probably be horrible I was taking zantac twice a day AND tums in my second trimester, I could NOT get it under control. It was getting to be too much, so I stopped everything, and did tons of water. After that I was totally able to keep it under control with NO meds for the whole 3'rd trimester. If I had a flare up after that, sometimes a whole apple would help. And eeevery once in a while I would need a tums. But water was my magic cure!
Water for me just made my reflux worse, like it gave more volume to my stomach contents and sent them up higher and faster. But I got reflux from everything, even a simple cup of water. I am certain I wasn't dehydrated as my pee was (and is) generally clear; I am a crazy water drinker/ice chewer while pregnant.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
Im def not dehydrated. I drink 2-3L a day, either water or herbal iced tea, unsweetened. Thats not it. I drink despite the heartburn it gives me. I will give pepcid a try and the enzymes to see if that helps. Thx for all the advice!! Just 6 more weeks.......i think i can, i think i can.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

I've chewed my through almost an entire bottle of papaya chews and I've been drinking peppermint tea, which is supposed to help. At this point, they don't last very long. I've heard that too many Tums aren't good when you're pregnant so I've been avoiding those. I've started taking Zantac. It says it lasts 12 hours and not to take more than 2 pills in 24 hours. But I find it lasts about 9 hours so I time my pills for when the heartburn is the worst.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote