Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Where can i find affordable, but good quality, glasses?

Dd and i both may need glasses. I've never been to the eye dr, so I'm not sure how it works. I believe i can take the prescription anywhere right?
Where has affordable glasses that won't break right away? Dd is 5 so i dont want to spend too much in case she breaks them.
Thank you

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where can i find affordable, but good quality, glasses?

You will need a prescription and fitting for glasses to know what sizes to order. (specifically, you need the stem length and pupilary distance...put in a mock order on a site to see what info is requested and make sure you don't leave without it when you have an exam)

I order from zennioptical and coastal contact and never pay more than $15 per pair. (for myself and my DD, who is 6 and just started wearing glasses in December)

Last edited by tygr2410; 02-18-2013 at 06:30 PM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've got 4 pairs from costalcontacts.com they have promotions often for a free pair, you pay shipping. It ends up being $15 ish. It's only basic lenses, but it works for my mild near sighted eyes. I LOVE my pink Guess glasses.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you!!! I knew you mamas would have the answer!
I'm not forced to purchase glasses from the dr office am i? I can buy them elsewhere right

Last edited by corinne76; 02-18-2013 at 06:44 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also, to be honest, you may want to get an exam and buy your first pair at an eye glasses place. Mostly so you know what they should feel like, how your vision should be, just incase the internet ones are not correct, kwim?

I did get DD's first pair in a store, and then ordered 2 paid for her online as back ups. One of the pair i ordered online did not fit her face that well (too big) so we put those away and are hoping her vision doesn't change lol!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

americas best? i just go to area i go for my eyes. kids not there yet for me.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Wal-Mart has kids' frames starting at $10, and basic lenses aren't much. They also have a one year warranty, so if they break, they replace them. Last time we got glasses there we got two pair of children's glasses and a pair of ladies glasses, all with transitions lenses and it was still under $200.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i like walmart too. I just got glasses for $54 and my son got a pair there for $55. the reason I started going there was cause they have unlimited coverage on broken glasses for a yr and my 6 yr old son breaks his well over 8 times a yr. and I was paying $40 each time for a new pair at my eye drs

I have tried coastal free pairs for 5 members of our house and you pay for shipping so $68 later, we had 3 orders wrong and one that was not fitting properly so never again.

walmart had great customer service and you can try the glasses on. most frames are $20-80 and we get the $20 lenses. great deal!! they are ready in 2-3 days as well. my other eye glass place takes 2-3 weeks. HATE it. i only go cause the eye exam is covered by ins.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just bought DS's glasses from walmart. They were clearance frames marked at $16 and they were actually half off of that price..the lenses were $30 and the 1 year warranty against all breaks and scratches was $20. So I paid $58 for a complete pair of glasses that fit him great and he's a rough and tumble 7 year old boy so I know that warranty will come in handy.
He found a pair on zennioptical that he really likes, so I will probably order them as backup just in case...that way if Walmart has to keep his glasses for any needed repairs, then he'll have a backup pair.
His glasses should be in any day now..we ordered last week and they told us it would be about a week before they arrived.

ETA: I'm waiting until DS gets his glasses before ordering a backup pair just to make sure the PD measurement they got it right and measure the frames we got to match up and make sure the ones he picked out on zenni are the right size.

Last edited by AVDesigns; 02-18-2013 at 07:14 PM.
AVDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Cajunteacher
Registered Users

Ive been getting my eye exam at walmart for years. i have them write down my prescription and i buy glasses at zennioptical.com. Awesome deals!
Cajunteacher is offline   Reply With Quote