Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:
Seats in Cars, is it safe to install a rear facing one?

My dh and I ordered an extra seat for our car here: https://www.facebook.com/littlepasse...ref=ts&fref=ts

instead of buying a new car to fit all our family in (money is just too tight at the moment). I know the company is safe and they make these seats and follow all safety standards. The only issue is I was sent pictures of a similar seat and how to install it (it isn't here yet) and it appears we can only install it rear facing. EEK! I don't know how safe this is and honestly this is making me so nervous. I'm going to attach a picture of an installed seat in the same make and model of our car that we were sent. Also, the picture is not exact. Our seat we ordered has seating for 3 and not two like the picture. Our seat will also have the shoulder belts as well so that the kids can use them with their boosters.

If you think this can be safe who would be safest back here? We initially bought the seat thinking that we could install it forward facing and one or two of our older kids (9 and 10) would sit back there in their boosters. My boys are both too small height and weight wise to be out of boosters so they'd be properly seated and installed just rear facing now. In the other seat will be a 6 year old in a booster and a newborn in a myride 65. The thought of being in an accident where someone rear ends us scares the crap out of me wondering if this is safe. What do you think?

Advertisement

Last edited by Mommyto2B2G; 08-30-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Seats in Cars, is it safe to install a rear facing one?

I know the manuals for the seats I've had all have said they have to be in a forward facing seat. I don't know if there are any who allow it

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I honesty didn't think it was legal to add more seats.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

PP is correct, car seats of any sort are only permitted on forward facing vehicle seats.

I would also suggest that you reconsider your purchase from a safety standpoint. No matter how many safety tests the company who makes the seats does, there is NO WAY that they can guarantee its safety in your particular vehicle. The vehicle has been crash-tested as-is, without the additional seat. One important concern is that the passengers riding in the seat could very well be in the vehicle's crumple zone - which would be REALLY bad news in an accident.

I understand that not everyone has the funds to go out and buy a new big car. But you are not completely out of options. For one, think about this: how essential is it, really, that all 6 of you fit in one vehicle? If you have only one vehicle in your family then it might be really important, but if you have a second vehicle already, then you can make due without fitting the whole family in one car (though I understand that always taking two vehicles whenever the family goes somewhere together is a pain in the neck!). Another thought would be selling/trading in one of your current vehicles and getting whatever 6+ passenger vehicle you could afford, even if it is a big step down as far as the quality of vehicle you're used to.

I hope this doesn't sound preachy, but I would do just about anything to avoid having my kids ride on one of those "little passenger" extra seats. I just do not trust their safety.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Did you check into ordering seats that would have been an option for your car. For example, I drive a Volvo station wagon that had the option for a third row, rear facing like in the photo. But because it was an option from the manufacturer, I know it's safe.
I also looked into installing carseats in rear facing seats and it's a big no-no.
What do you drive now?

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/faq.html#3

That's their FAQ on carseats. They say a lot, but say nothing at all. That concerns me. Also someone asked about carseats on their facebook page. They just directed them to this page and didn't answer their question at all.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
Did you check into ordering seats that would have been an option for your car. For example, I drive a Volvo station wagon that had the option for a third row, rear facing like in the photo. But because it was an option from the manufacturer, I know it's safe.
I also looked into installing carseats in rear facing seats and it's a big no-no.
What do you drive now?
We looked at buying a Volvo wagon because of the third row seating, but deciding against it because you cannot place carseats back there too.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Actually, their car seat-related FAQ is pretty concerning to me. They say that the seats are made for kids, so they don't need boosters. However, boosters are NOT just for the purpose of making the seatbelt fit correctly, but also to act as artificial hip bones for kids whose skeletons are just not mature enough to have adult-strength/shape hip bones that will handle a seatbelt on their own. So, while the company might *think* these seats are perfectly safe, they really don't know as much as they think they know about child passenger safety.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I know car seats/boosters say only in forward facing seats...but I don't see a high risk. They have to say that because the seats aren't tested in RFing seats. But what's the real risk? The seat is tested forward facing in a head on collision...I think it would be under less stress/strain in a RFing seat in a head on collision. Anyway, it wouldn't be manufacturer approved and for some (probably most here I'd guess) that is simply unacceptable. And I understand that, it's perfectly reasonable. But for me it seems an acceptable risk and if I were you I'd put my oldest kids in that seat.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
genevievej84
Registered Users

I would not be comfortable at all using a seat like that, and not just because I can't install a car seat on there. That area of a vehicle that does not already have passenger seating is most likely part of the crumple zone, which means in an accident it's going to fold up like an accordion to disperse crash forces. No way would I put my kids in a crumple zone. Not to mention the lack of headrests and proper seat belt bolting to the frame of the car.

OP - only you can weigh the risk/benefit for your family, but for me, I would not be okay using that seat and I would never recommend it.
genevievej84 is offline   Reply With Quote