Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Being able to properly transport your children in a safe manner should be a priority. This seat is not safe, you are putting children in the area of the vehicle that crumples to absorb crash forces!

It is not and should not be an option to use this seat. Take out a loan if you have to when you trade in your vehicle for one that is designed for that many passengers.

Or someone stays home with some kids everywhere you go. It may sound harsh but those are your options.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

And I am not sure why your only concern is that it's rear facing? If you install it forward facing, your kids will just be squished faster when a vehicle slams into the back of you because installed forward facing means the seat will just be positioned further back in the vehicle. That seat back is not going to save your kids in an accident.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seats in Cars, is it safe to install a rear facing one?

I already stated we aren't interested buying it now. Thanks. I was questioning the safety and it did not look safe to me. I came here looking for reliable information about safety and I did not expect to be chewed out so much like I had installed it and was driving my children around in it. They sent us pictures last night about how it should be installed, I questioned it right away. I only questioned it being rear facing because we can add another seat into our car. Not looking to start any fights or be told what a horrible parent I am because I questioned the safety of a product well before I received it. I posted last night I'd rather just not bother with it at all because I do not have the luxury of buying another car at the moment. If you look at the last paragraph I wrote on my last post I said I'd rather not use it if it meant my kids safety.

People come here looking for advice and experience. I figured it doesn't hurt to ask questions. I was hoping that I'd be pointed in some good directions about how to research and find a seat that works or just to find out that it wouldn't period. For anyone who did I appreciate it.

Last edited by Mommyto2B2G; 02-19-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #24
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just a wonderment, if the car can come with a third row, have you tried calling the manufacturer of your car and see if they can add it as an aftermarket feature? I vaugly remember someone telling me that in a certain year RaV4s had a third row and if you had that year and you didn't have it you could have a dealer install a factory seat. Perhaps something like that might be an option? Again, this is heresay, I don't know but it would be something to look into.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Just a wonderment, if the car can come with a third row, have you tried calling the manufacturer of your car and see if they can add it as an aftermarket feature? I vaugly remember someone telling me that in a certain year RaV4s had a third row and if you had that year and you didn't have it you could have a dealer install a factory seat. Perhaps something like that might be an option? Again, this is heresay, I don't know but it would be something to look into.
This is a good idea.
When our 5th was born DH had a Ford Freestyle that only sat 6 but it also came in a 7 seater so I looked online and found a local junk yard that had a totaled car (that was even the same model/trim with gray leather!) and we bought and installed the seat (that was undamaged and none of the car directly around the seat was damaged) in his car to convert it to a 7 seater! I think it cost us about $250 and served us well for several years until we updated both our vehicles to 8 seaters.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

TY ladies I'll look into that. I talked to someone from our repair shop yesterday who helped me look into our car more. Our crumble point is up front not in the back and the suv was made with 3rd row seating capabilities so he said a 3rd seat is absolutely an option. I was curious though, is it safe or ok to pull a seat out of a totaled car? I assumed it was dangerous so I didn't even consider that option. I will call our repair shop today and ask him about that too I guess. We really didn't get that far into it because we were mainly playing phone tag.
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kaun View Post
TY ladies I'll look into that. I talked to someone from our repair shop yesterday who helped me look into our car more. Our crumble point is up front not in the back and the suv was made with 3rd row seating capabilities so he said a 3rd seat is absolutely an option. I was curious though, is it safe or ok to pull a seat out of a totaled car? I assumed it was dangerous so I didn't even consider that option. I will call our repair shop today and ask him about that too I guess. We really didn't get that far into it because we were mainly playing phone tag.
In our case there was only damage to the front of the car and the seat was in the middle of the car- well protected. I think overall it's more important that you are installing a seat directly and securely into the frame of your vehicle- the way that it was safety tested originally. This is the reason after market additions aren't safe. Crash forces are unbelievable and securing a seat (made of God knows what) to your vehicle with plywood would make me very nervous!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 02-20-2013 at 08:03 AM.
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #28
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kaun View Post
It all depends on why the car was totaled. My only issue is seat belts. Do you already have them for the 3rd row?

I'm not sure how you can only have a crumple zone upfront. If you're hit from behind you need it in the back also.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #29
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

What car is it?
As for how to drive all your children once the baby is here, and this doesn't help with your husband at all, I know, but you can have the oldest harnessed child in the front, with the seat as far back as it can go. It isn't popular advice with some, but if you have to work with what you have, it is acceptable.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't feel safe taking one out of a totalled car, personally. However, you can usually buy new ones from the manufacturer and have them installed aftermarket. I would do that.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote