Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

5 1/2 year old lefty struggling with handwriting

I need some ideas. I guess this came pretty easy for my 1st. We do a Reason for Handwriting with him. My 5 yr old is basically pre-k. I just don't know what to do to help him....is there a good book for those struggling?? He gets very frustrated. I had planned to do A Reason for Handwriting with him next year. I would like something to do now and over summer to help him?? I don't know how hard to push him?? He is doing well, just starting to learn how to read....just this area he is struggling.

FYI I haven't pushed it a lot so far.....he gets frustrated and our household is already a little hectic right now .

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

I think at this age kids writing ability.varies widely like reading

Liams handwriting is.terrible imo but people assure me its within the normal range :/

We just practice writing a sentence or two a day. Today we read horton and wrote a persons a person no matter how small. And he draws a Picture to go with whatever we write.

I sit by him and earse letters written incorrectly. It created fights at first but his writing is slowly getting better. He was 5 10/09.

Last edited by monkeymama07; 02-15-2013 at 12:02 PM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: 5 1/2 year old lefty struggling with handwriting

You mean he copies a whole sentence you write?? Mine was born 10/07.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
You mean he copies a whole sentence you write?? Mine was born 10/07.
Yes.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Hmm, I don't think he could do that. He can trace and that is what have him do now.....but when it comes to making his own he struggles. I don't know guess I will do some googling since not seeming to find much advice here. I think being left handed might have a little to do with it.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My 4.5 yr old dd is a lefty and handwriting without tears has been great for her. She has a hard time with pencil grip, but I bought her sone special ones called the claw and they help a lot.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Hmm, I don't think he could do that. He can trace and that is what have him do now.....but when it comes to making his own he struggles. I don't know guess I will do some googling since not seeming to find much advice here. I think being left handed might have a little to do with it.
I would just start him out tracing the letters you write. Write the sentence or whatever you want him to do in a color like yellow, so he can follow your lines, but you see his writing better.

My son is 5 and that is how I started him. I would have him trace the letters, then I would do vertical lines and he would write his letter between the lines, eventually he was writing without me doing those things.

I would start off slow, one letter a week or so, and you can print worksheets online for writing his letters. I am left handed and he may have to adjust how he writes/forms his letters versus how you form your letters. It can also be difficult for him to repeat a letter if his example is under his hand while writing, so maybe have the example up above and him write below, and you can also hold his hand and help him form the letters a few times.

For any child learning to write it is about motor skills. Another option you have is a salt box(low sided box full of salt). He can use his finger to form the letters/write them in the salt to create the muscle memory so that when he goes to write with a pencil, he has already formed some muscle memory for each letter.

I hope this helps or gives you some ideas of things to try.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
We traced first also.

He can make play dough letters.

Fill a bag with hair gel and he can draw letters in it.

Drawing in shaving cream in the shower.

Things like drawing shapes,lines, etc cm build them and maybe not feel so hard.

Theres a website you can print prewriting papers from which maybe would be a good place to start.

Last edited by monkeymama07; 02-16-2013 at 06:49 AM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
apurdie
Registered Users

At that age I would not worry a bit. I have a 5 1/2 yr old boy that *can* write letters, but hates to. Most kids (boys especially) don't develop the fine motor skills for writing for another year or so. Just keep it fun and try not to push too hard. He'll get it.
apurdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
chickiwawa
Registered Users
seller

My almost 5 year old is a leftie and we are going with Handwriting Without Tears. They have workshops in lots of areas, so you might check out their website to see if one is near you. I think it would be very beneficial to be shown how to use their program rather than wing it myself.

I've also found a blog post about how to hold a pencil correctly. She's got a video and it's a great little trick. http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012...t-pencil-grip/

And also one about teaching a leftie the correct way to write. http://www.shirleys-preschool-activi...left-hand.html

Hope this helps
chickiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote