Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anxiety/Not Trust Babysitters/Strangers with your Kids?

We have not had a babysitter since DS was 6 months (he is now almost 5). I have mega anxiety about having a stranger come into my home to babysit. 10% of it is if they will go through my stuff, steal anything, etc. The other 90% is the fear of my child being mistreated. For this reason, we have not had a babysitter for many, many years, and even now, I'm hesitant.

We interviewed a homeschooled 17 year old that seems sweet. But there is always that fear. Will she be impatient? Will she harm or hurt my child? Will I come back and my child is missing? Or hurt? Or .. worse?

I don't know why I have the anxiety, besides seeing too many "horror nanny cam" videos, and watching too much Law & Order.

Anyone else not trust anyone else with their children besides family? Or have anxiety about it?

Advertisement

Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My mom is the only one that watches my kids. If it was someone I knew like a friend I would likely let them watch my child. A stranger, heck no.

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anxiety/Not Trust Babysitters/Strangers with your Kids?

I was a horrible babysitter as a youngster. Not abusive or anything, just didn't know what I was doing and hated it with a passion. So that's what I think about when I think about getting a real babysitter. We are fortunate to have family close by and willing to help...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

We stayed where we grew up, so we have tons of family in the area. My mom is really the only one who watches DS, though there are other options if we were in a pinch.

I would not use non family personally, but if we had no family here I would likely have a different viewpoint. I would hire someone with references from someone you know. And yes I would have a camera in the main living area, but our house is small so one would be sufficient to have a general idea.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't do strangers to babysit. Everyone that babysits my kids are children of friends or kids that I know personally long before they care for my children.

My 6 year old is very vocal. She will let me know anything that goes down in great detail. She lets us all know when she is unhappy about anything.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-19-2013 at 10:12 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

I dont even trust family members, let alone a stranger! I have horrible pp anxiety, so babysitters are a no go for us.
AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Only people who have watched my kids are family. I have many momma friends that I would be more than 100% trusting, but they don't live close enough to make it worth it. But our arrangments with my parents and DH's parents work out well already, so no reason to change them.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Now I'm thinking I should not do the babysitter. I'm SO glad I posted this.. I literally thought I was the only Mom thinking like this, and that I should just cave in and trust strangers, thinking other Moms do it.

I also was not a perfect younger babysitter. Didn't have enough patience for infants like I should have.

I also worry. This babysitter has only one reference, from Colorado, so she is new out here. I don't have a background check or know anything about her family. And honestly, I don't trust 1-2 references. All they have to do is make up a name, and I could be talking to her sister or Mom instead of a real reference.

I would just never forgive myself if anything happened. And I really feel like teenagers don't have the patience for infants needed, NOR do they have the experience to know how to soothe or take care of infants or toddlers. I have a 11 month old and 4 year old, so this worries me.

Kindergarten round-up is this Thursday, and we were going to go (but I am 99% positive we will homeschool). I think I may cancel the Thurs. and think about this more. I just don't trust strangers... but... being a babysitter/nanny myself, and now a daycare provider, parents do have to trust strangers at some point. I just feel like I'm being too picky, but with YOUR KIDS... you can never be too picky.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My kids have NEVER been left with anyone... I don't trust people with my children
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

I'd be hesitant to use someone off Craigslist or care.com, a complete stranger. But I will use my neighbor's daughter once she is old enough, simply because I know her and her family, and I've watched her grow up. For now, we just switch off baby-sitting with our neighbors, so that one or two couples on the block can get a night out. We are lucky in that we are friendly with our neighbors who also have young children - any given weekend several of us are outside watching all the kids as they play. This allows for us to have short excursions to the grocery store, etc. without kiddos in tow. Also our sons go to a registered home daycare, and our caregiver gives us 5-6 coupons at Christmas for a "free evening of babysitting" to use throughout the year.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote