Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
My Mood:
Why is ground beef never on sale anymore?

It used to be that ground beef would go on sale maybe once a month for between 2.39-2.89 and I would always buy a big thing to make various meals. I haven't seen it on sale in MONTHS. I will only buy the store-ground meat, not those rolls of meat.

Anyone know what's up with it never being on sale anymore? Is it like that where you live too? (we are in northern NJ)

We are getting sooooo tired of chicken and I'm longing to make a good chili or taco or meatball or meatloaf! My budget is super tight and ground beef is great for thrifty meals but not so much anymore...

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Why is ground beef never on sale anymore?

I *think* this past summer was really hard on cows (drought = no green pastures) and they actually have a little bit of a shortage. I read that because of this beef prices will be high this year.

Just googled and found a short article

Hope this helps And, if you find it on sale you might want to stock up
Loving wife to my high school sweetheart since 2003, mommy to my baby girl since 1/12
Loving Ebates and the cash back I get shopping online at my fav stores

Happily getting my Groupon on
Tiffanylamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Users

There are always good sales around Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. I stock up then, enough to get to the next holiday. Then at Labor Day I bought like fifty lbs. Next time I need to wrap it better. It's starting to get freezer burn. ETA: My local Meijer had it for $1.99 a lb, sometimes $1.88 but even some of the other local stores ran the sales as well.
Thrifty, homeschooling Mama to 5, 14 yr old K 9 yr old E 4 yr old B , our lil' man 2 yr old H and our newly adopted little princess J Forever missing our foster children J, M, L, L D, & E
Mama2ManyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
My Mood:

ITA with Tiffany. We farm and luckily early rain meant our crops were ok, but even 20 miles away entire fields were just dead. So feed prices sky rocketed and if you can't afford to feed your cattle you sell them off. So prices for meat were probably better in the fall/winter, and now that so many slaughtered their animals early the supply isn't as great.
Denise, building a life with B my farmer, Mom to L 09.2006, W 12.2006, A 04.2013, and B 09.2014 and one angel 10.24.2013
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
Yep, the drought is forcing beef prices up. I use ground turkey-have for years-and no one ever knows unless I tell them lol Its better for you and here cheaper then ground beef. Maybe look into it?
House Goddess & mama to 8 yr old princess L , 6 yr old mama magnet J and 9mos old love bug C

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:
We are military and luckily they freeze and then mark down the ground beef that needs to be sold quickly. I can get 1.5lbs of store ground 93% lean beef for around $2.50 or so. I check every time I go to see if they have any. Do any stores where you at do this?

Fwiw, I can totally taste the difference between ground turkey and beef. But if you like ground turkey its a good idea.
I've earned over $2000 in agc's and paypal w/ swagbucks and you can too!!!
Ebates get cash back for shopping online!!!
Get a $10gc when you make your first purchase of $25 or more through ebates.
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have not seen ground beef on sale for less than $3/lb in months. I only buy the discounted ones that are about to expire.
Detroit-area SAHM to Rose 12/03, Ginger 11/05, and little Ian 4/08.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Registered Users
I know Sam's has 10lb of 90% for $28.99 regularly.
Mama to DS(7.5) and DD(5)
Homeschooling vegan wife to my fellow vegan hammock-hanging, backpacking, thrifty, nature lovin' crunchy DH
Long out of diapers in our house and done making babies but still love DS for the friends
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:

I started a thread like this 6ish months ago

It FINALLY went on sale about a month after i complained and i bought 12lbs.... we are now down to the last 1.5 lbs.... so i am hoping i can snag some on sale again soon.

and my food saver kept my beef freezer burn free
Officially in "mourning".... and
Mags462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #10

Formerly Q......9
My Mood:
In February I bought 20 lbs at $2.20 a lb. In NE Ohio we had 3 different stores put it on sale in a 2 week period. My family typically uses 2 lbs at a meal unless it is spaghetti (then we use 1/2 lbs). We also have had loads of meat sales. I would have bought more but my DH has yet to clean our moldy deep freezer. He let it mold (didn't clean/dry it before our move) so he cleans it.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote

where's the beef