Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #31
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Kids feet do not skip sizes, parents miss sizes.
What an odd thing to say.

Advertisement

Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

How is it odd? Kids feet grow, you have to pay attention to growth. It makes me so sad to hear people say their kid "skipped" a size. They didn't. They were that size and no one realized their shoes did not fit properly.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #33
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
How is it odd? Kids feet grow, you have to pay attention to growth. It makes me so sad to hear people say their kid "skipped" a size. They didn't. They were that size and no one realized their shoes did not fit properly.
It's odd because have you ever heard of a growth spurt.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #34
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrifty kids shoes?

Quote:
I bet if you did a poll to see if most parents have had a size 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,10, 11, 12 or maybe all the .5 sizes in between the overwhelming answer would be no. You are basically implying that if you don't do this you are not a "good" parent as "it makes you sad"...........

Most normal folks get shoes in the spring, summer, winter.......and I'm 100% sure that most people have skipped a shoe size between those seasons now and then. Plus the brands vary so much that a the child could be wearing a 10 one month and an 10 in another brand 6 months later, but that shoe is in fact bigger...then go to a 12 as the next shoe is smaller. I've even been to stride rite and THEIR OWN BRAND of $50+ shoes have varied and my kids have been a whole size up on one vs the other.

Also growth spurts are a proven occurrence...........
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #35
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This cracks me up actually as it's a case of ....be careful of what you say....

I see you just have one small child currently........I have often said something like this and later realized that ooops, that's not actually how it works....if you currently just have a 2.5 year old, then you don't have a lot of shoe experience.......talk to me when you have a 9 or 10 year old and have some more knowledge about foot growth.......you might just be eating your words.....
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #36
lookatreestar
Registered Users

yeah I literally got ds new shoes and in two weeks he refused to wear them and I was stumped! turns out his foot grew. crazy bc my ds has the same size foot as dd and they are two years apart. at one point dd stayed in a size 8 for a over year it seemed like!

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
My oldest dd grew out of her shoes one day. So I got her a new pair of shoes. They fit great. The very next morning they were too small. I had to go back and get her another size up. The very next morning. There's no way I missed a shoe size she simply had a crazy growth spurt. Apparently I caught it mid spurt and should have waited a day lol. Now typically that doesn't happen and kids will either suddenly tell you their shoes hurt or will have a hard time getting them on, or for little ones the parent will notice. Shoes can literally be fine one day and too small the next. You just never know not everytimr will you catch it the very day they are too small.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #38
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Sorry but this cracks me up! Kids most definitely do skip sizes. Skip might not be the right explanation, more like grow through sizes super quick. I assure you I didn't miss sizes, my ds woke up one morning I noticed his shorts were way too tight looked like his butt was wearing a push up bra in size 10 they were so tight, literally overnight! I had noticed the day before his stuff was getting a little snug but not skin tight! I had the next size up full wardrobe all brand new size 12's. he wore that for about 2-3 weeks and ended up needing a 14/16 within a month of the skin tight 10's. he also went from a size boys 5 to a men's 6 a week or so before! Sizes go boys 5,6 then men's 6 is a boys 7 so technically he skipped a shoe size also. We had a similar growth explosion at age 5/6(he's 10 now) where he woke up one day and was just bigger! Dd is doing the same thing right now. She's almost 5.

As far as shoes feet grow first and usually indicate a growth spurt. Chances are if the feet grow the body follows!
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #39
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Oh good grief...I've now officially seen every possible way that moms can criticize other moms for not being good enough or not being diligent enough.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #40
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I will say that I know what Mom2connor is getting at because I know someone who will "make shoes fit" her son as long as possible in order to skip a size on purpose. It doesnt seem to bother him but I do worry about his foot devrlopment. That said, growth spurts are obviously the real deal too.
And as for the OPs question, sometimes I get good deals on shoes at gap and old navy on clearance.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote