Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #41
tokidokikashikoi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle

Oh good grief...I've now officially seen every possible way that moms can criticize other moms for not being good enough or not being diligent enough.
No kidding. I doubt many of us have time to monitor our kids shoe size by the day. And very few kids will put up with ill-fitting shoes for very long without complaining, even young ones. My daughter was fitted for size 13.5 shoes in September or October and by January I measured her at size 2.5. Yeah, I missed a couple half sizes in there.

Advertisement

tokidokikashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #42
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I understand that feet can grow fast and have a growth spurt. They do not "skip" sizes. I still stand by my original statement.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #43
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
I understand that feet can grow fast and have a growth spurt. They do not "skip" sizes. I still stand by my original statement.
Can you please link to scientific proof of this?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #44
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
My DD has grown 2" literally overnight - she had a checkup one day and a fever the next. Same doctor, same height chart, 24 hours. She gets actual growing pains from her spurts sometimes. She was in 2T from 12 mos and in 4-5T by 30mos.

Kids skip sizes; clothes and shoes.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #45
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy

Can you please link to scientific proof of this?
This is just hilarious lol. It's amazing to me that people think their feet poof to a new size with no growing between.

The seasonal shoe buying - I can see why that would be an issue. I buy shoes for different seasons yes, but we check in between as well.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #46
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thrifty kids shoes?

While its impossible to literally skip a size, you would have to grow through the size to get to the next, it's not practical or normal(for me anyway, I have too much else to do) to examine the fit of a kids shoes every day. You'll know they're getting snug when your kid complains or they don't go on as easy, then you get some new ones in a size larger within the week unless you have super spurt kids like me and 5princessmomny who's kids must go into mutant growth mode overnight. We size up a .5 size on top of the next size because we have a history of huge spurts otherwise I'd be buying new shoes every week for a month!

Lets revisit this when your child turns 5 there comes times where your left thinking didn't you JUST get new______?
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #47
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
This is just hilarious lol. It's amazing to me that people think their feet poof to a new size with no growing between.

The seasonal shoe buying - I can see why that would be an issue. I buy shoes for different seasons yes, but we check in between as well.
I think most people are annoyed due to your attitude and statement that "it makes you sad" that parents miss a shoe size. It's coming across as very judgmental to probably 95% of parents.

I seriously have visions of you in a shoe store in the next few years realizing that oooops.....you skipped a shoe size and then you will realize how you are coming across. As I said before....with one 2.5 to 3 year old, your personal experience is not much to go one, so maybe 1.5y of buying shoes?

If you don't want to skip a shoe size then I'd recommend that you get your child measured at least every 2 weeks......as pp has said overnight, so maybe you should go everyday as it's such a point of sadness to you. My then 1 year old was measured at a size 4 in the store and outgrew it in 3 weeks, hence my recommendation of 2 weeks. Hope you have fun getting to know your shoe salesperson.....very well.....
Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #48
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I think the issue was the way you said you feel sad for kids who had parents who said they skipped a size because the parents didn't realize their kids' feet were growing that fast. You didn't think that might be a bit passive aggressive or put people on the defensive? Of course a kid is literally going to go through each size no matter how fast they grow, but to feel sad because a parent missed a growth spurt and a kid wore snug shoes for a couple weeks seems like a not-so-subtle way to say that they are harming their kids or not diligent enough. Growth spurts or different brands, it's extremely common for parents not to buy each half size of shoe as their kids grow. It's great if you can consistently buy the same brand of shoe and in each increment of size for your DS, but we're not talking about Chinese foot binding here (which I would feel sad about!), we're talking about kids who grow extremely fast and/or wear different sizes of shoes in different brands.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #49
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle

Oh good grief...I've now officially seen every possible way that moms can criticize other moms for not being good enough or not being diligent enough.
Yeah that.

I have been buying kids shoes for 15 years. Half sizes are usually not needed. If I had to watch the growth of my kids feet we would be buying new shoes every other day. Omg call CPs because I wasn't diligent enough to buy a size 5.5 and skipped to a 6!!!!

Just silly.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #50
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 18 month old skipped size 6-9 month clothes. He went right from 3-6 month to 12 month. Does that mean he grew from the size of a 3-6 month old to a 12 month old overnight? No, it means that when the 3-6 month got snug and I tried on the 6-9 month clothes, they fit, but the 12 month clothes fit BETTER. Should I have squeezed him into the 6-9 month clothes for 2 weeks just to prove I care enough about making sure everyone knows that I properly fit my child into EVERY size of clothing, or should I move him up into what fits him better? It's the same thing with shoes. Why buy a size 11 that has many a tiny bit of growing room, rather than buying an 11 1/2? And WHY on earth try to make other mamas feel guilty about it? I sure hope your children never DO have a growth spurt, I can just see it in the shoe store...."NO son!! You HAVE to get this pair of size 12s!! Your other shoes are an 11 1/2 and the next size is a 12, I don't care if your foot does measure for a 13!!!" LOL!!!!
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote