Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about IEP(i guess thats what it would be considered)

I just found out that you can pay $60 a week for them to attend this preschool from 8-3 Mon-Fri during the school year. He just wouldn't receive any services. Do you think it would be a good idea to at least try it for a few months just to see how he handles the responsibility of being in a classroom?

Advertisement

anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ryan21
I just found out that you can pay $60 a week for them to attend this preschool from 8-3 Mon-Fri during the school year. He just wouldn't receive any services. Do you think it would be a good idea to at least try it for a few months just to see how he handles the responsibility of being in a classroom?
IMHO that is too long for a 3 yo. Ds's preschool is mon-thurs from 8:30 to 11:30 and that is good. 8 to 3 is full on grade school and that is a lot for a 3 yo. I would do something less intense if anything.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyeates

My son is almost 5 and started with early childhood intervention at 18 months old. He is now in his second year of public school (early childhood special needs). They will only work on education related problems. You cannot get in for just social skills, they must be directly relating to education.

When they said they may need to retest him for kindergarten, I don't believe they would be holding him back. Many children here get special "allowances". They may have a 1:1 aide with them to help them to remember to concentrate, a separate quiet room for test taking, or something as simple as your child must sit at the front of the classroom and the teacher needs to have direct eye contact before giving directions.

An IEP is not a special class, it is an Individual Education Plan. This can be in a special needs setting or in a regular classroom. Early childhood programs are difficult to get into because there are not many slots and they need to make sure that the children that are there are gaining way more than just social interaction. You can enroll him in private preschool and it would likely burn off some of his energy and help him socially as well. HTH

Sent from my iPad using DS Form
Investing how different states are.

My dd goes because of a serious social delay. She also has selective mutism, but her main IEP is for social skills.

For the OP I would not put a 3 year old in preschool from 8-3. It's just too much. Our program is Monday through Thursday from 9:15 to 11:45 (like kindergarten)
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
mekat
Registered Users

I put my 3 year old in public preschool for a full school day and he did just fine. We did start out doing half days for two weeks to help transition him but he was fine. If you don't want to do the full day then I doubt they would care if you picked him up a little early.

Does the teacher in his classroom have experience with special needs? If so then I would definitely give it a try because it can be challenging to find private care that is willing to deal with extra needs. Unfortunately this state (I'm in Alabama also) doesn't offer PPEC so the only way to get medical child care is to have a child with severe enough needs to qualify for private duty nursing.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

For Kindergarten he would go from 8- 3 also. We could pick him up at anytime during the day and even skip a few days in necessary. The teacher does have experience with SN kids. It would be the same preschool that he would go to if he tested in. They also have 2 nurses there at all times. We really don't won't to send him to a regular preschool because most preschools around here wouldn't have the experience with a child who has seizures.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our developmental is 9-11:45. I'd be unhappy about 8-3 too. However, I'd give it a shot and see if it works out ok or not.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd probably try it, I assume they have a resting time in the afternoon? Maybe just start out doing half days? I agree its hard to find places that will take SN kids so I think it's worth a try atleast.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How close to 3 is he? Would it be possible for you to get him evaluated by Birth to Three? I know that around here, the whole process getting into the special needs program is much easier if you come in via Birth to Three rather than not.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
*update*
We went to tour the preschool today and it will be a great fit for him. Once we get the results of the testing we will know more but the teacher told me that she would allow him to come on Mon and Tues for $12 a day. So no matter what the testing shows he will get to go. It also helps my fear of leaving him because they have 2 nurses at all times so if he does have a seizure they will know what to do.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
mekat
Registered Users

I'm glad you are happy with the situation. Just be aware depending on the needs and size of the school two nurses don't stretch as far as you think they will. My son's school is a self contained and has two nurses as well but they have to cover everyone and every last one of these kids has medical needs. His school has an attached preschool and is also K-12. So a whole lot of kids with a whole lot of needs and just two nurses. The good news is they are very well versed in pediatric medical problems and are very good at prioritizing. They handled a child having a long protracted seizure expertly just last year although I would be willing to bet they handle seizures way more often then I am aware of I just happen to know of this one event.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote