Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Reviews of 12+ passenger vans?

With the day care kids we've basically outgrown our 8 seater toyota sienna minivan (which I didn't think was going to happen). I'm looking at saving up for a 12 seater, and need to decide how much I'm going to need to save (we may also have more kids and this is going to become a problem then).

I am not a huge fan of domestic cars. The ones we've owns have all broken down (a lot) and needed repairs for a lot of minor things, but the 3 toyotas have all gone until we drove them into the ground.

When I went looking for larger vans (which I'd prefer over an SUV because of car seats- climbing over seats is an issue, we need "walk through" space) I saw that I was basically stuck with Ford or Chevy. I have not had good luck with either brand in their cars/trucks. It's been repairs and repairs after repairs until we get rid of them and replace them.

There is a Nissan 12 passenger van and a Mercedes Benz Sprinter (neither of which I've found anyone here saying they have). Anyone have one? Do you like it, was it worth the extra money?

So which (12+ passenger) van do you have, how has the repairs and time in the shop been? I'd rather not spend the extra $$ but I have to tell you that time in the shop annoys me to no end and I'd rather spend more and have a reliable car than one that breaks down a lot.

So if you've driven a Ford E series to 200,000 miles without more than general maintenance- please share that and reassure me!

Advertisement

Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.

Last edited by yellowitchgrl; 03-10-2013 at 04:37 PM.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I have a GMC Savanna 12 passenger van. We ordered it new in 2008. It now has 135,000 miles on it and only had to do routine maintenance. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reviews of 12+ passenger vans?

That is what I want to hear
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Cherise1502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ford E 350 here with 89k miles and never had more than a normal maintenance repair! Runs and drives great It's a 2003
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dream nightly of that Nissan van
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I read a great review of the nissan but I really do not want to do any more car payments, so saving up is key (although I could get 14k-ish for my van right now) but saving up is my plan. I like that there are head rests in the nissan, don't like that only 3 seats have latches. That's annoying.

I just love the idea that if it really gets to be a pain I could trade my van and get a used bigger van, but at this moment I want to try to keep the toyota since the gas mileage is better.

BUT as I said, not had luck with other car brands so I need my hand held on that.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Chevy express. We love it. Drives like a minivan instead of a truck.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

lol I'm okay with driving a beast. My truck (which was my primary vehicle for a few years) is a massive truck. I look ridiculous climbing in and out of it, I assure you, but I've always owned trucks.

I will look at the express
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

lol I'm okay with driving a beast. My truck (which was my primary vehicle for a few years) is a massive truck. I look ridiculous climbing in and out of it, I assure you, but I've always owned trucks.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowitchgrl

My dh has a Chevy Colorado. My 12 passenger Savanna seriously turns and rides MUCH better than that little truck.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote